PDA

View Full Version : Gear Hobber/5P (not 5c) collet questions

neonman
10-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Y'all, I have recently picked up a Barber Coleman #3 gear hobber. Been looking for a couple of years for one. Beginning to clean it up. It appears to be a fairly early one; the drive pulley looks like a line shaft retrofit. It seems to be in good shape, and has some accessories. Pics later.

1) It has in the work arbour a Hardinge 5P collet. Is anyone familist with these? know of the whereabouts they may be available? I poked around Google and EBAY with no luck. I would be looking for 1/2 to 5/8 range.

2) Does anyone have a manual for one of these early machines? It has the motor mounted above the machine on what looks like a factory rero fit bracket assembly. It also has a pedal in the base for moving the belt to between the idler and drive pulleys. It also has other functions I don't understand yet. I have a 6-10 manual, but the machine is different.

Also, I need to know if the change gear options are the same for this machine and the tables in my 6-10 manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neonman

Fasttrack
10-14-2008, 11:32 AM
According to Hardinge, 5P is a Pratt & Whitney collet. On page 43 of their "Spindle Tooling for Manual and CNC Lathes", they give the following information:

Back bearing: .812"
Overall length: 3.687"
Thread: .807" 24 RH
Max round capacity: 5/8"