PDA

View Full Version : Macbook machining

panchula
10-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Great shots of the manufacture of the new MacBook. High metal content in the ad. Machining starts around 1m:20s and goes until 3m:00s in.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/the-new-macbook/

-Mike

aostling
10-15-2008, 11:02 AM
I've been waiting for this. I'll visit the Apple Store today and have a look. I want to know if the glossy screen is tolerable. I am used to matte, as on my 20" Apple Cinema Display.

I'm on my second computer; it is a Mac Mini. The super-drive has become erratic, playing some DVD movies, but not others. It is not cost-effective to replace the drive. I've been waiting for an updated Mini, but there is no indication that this is forthcoming. So I'm considering a MacBook, as a replacement. At home I can use this with the case closed, connecting to wireless keyboard and wireless mouse via bluetooth.

I have a question for you Mac experts. I watch cable TV on my Cinema Display, via a Miglia TV Max tuner which sits underneath the Mac Mini (they have the identical footprints). The Miglia is an analog-only tuner, so when the American broadcasting industry switches to digital-only next February, it will no longer work. I thought I could just replace the tuner with a digital Miglia. But the company does not make one, and does not appear to have plans for such a product.

Is there a good digital TV tuner, which will receive HDTV signals and work with the new MacBook?

mayfieldtm
10-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Allen Wrote...

>I watch cable TV on my Cinema Display, via a Miglia TV Max tuner

The change to Digital is for over the air broadcasts.
Should not be a problem with Cable.

Tom M.

aostling
10-21-2008, 10:20 PM
The change to Digital is for over the air broadcasts.
Should not be a problem with Cable.

Tom M.

I cannot get Cox Communication (my cable supplier) to give me an intelligent answer. Currently I subscribe to the analog "extended basic" cable TV service; no set-top box is required -- the signal is unencrypted.

I hope you are right, that I can continue to get the same analog cable service after the change to digital broadcasting in February. I will then be able to watch TV news on the screen of my new 13" MacBook, which will be hooked up to an analog Miglia TV tuner.

andy_b
10-21-2008, 11:12 PM
I cannot get Cox Communication (my cable supplier) to give me an intelligent answer. Currently I subscribe to the analog "extended basic" cable TV service; no set-top box is required -- the signal is unencrypted.

I hope you are right, that I can continue to get the same analog cable service after the change to digital broadcasting in February. I will then be able to watch TV news on the screen of my new 13" MacBook, which will be hooked up to an analog Miglia TV tuner.

i can't guarantee anything, but i just talked to my cable company yesterday and the digital TV topic came up. i have the digital channel package and have a digital converter box. i told them i never watch the digital-only channels above 99 and want to go back to no box and no $30 extra digital package. the tech told me that if my TV is cable-ready (meaning i can take a bare cable wire from the wall and plug it into my TV with no boxes or converters or anything and view the channels) that i don't need to worry about the digital conversion box (or the digital converter box that i plan to return). as mentioned, that box is only for over-the-air transmissions.

i would guess that if you can take the cable right from the wall to your Miglia tuner right now, you will still be able to do that and watch TV next year after the analog over-the-air broadcasts are shut off.

i don't know if what i wrote makes sense, but as far as i can tell, i don't need any boxes to watch TV. :)

andy b.

aostling
10-22-2008, 12:49 AM
i don't know if what i wrote makes sense, but as far as i can tell, i don't need any boxes to watch TV. :)

andy b.

Andy,

You make good sense. You persuade me to just not worry about it, to wait and see what happens. I hope we can continue to not need no stinkin' boxes.

macona
10-22-2008, 04:12 AM
The change from analog to digital only pertains to OTA (Over the Air) broadcasts. If you have cable tv you will not have to change anything.

Digital cable is nice. Much clearer image in general. But I have pretty much stopped watching TV for a couple years now. If there is a TV show I want to watch I download it.

Paul Alciatore
09-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Junior member, post #1, thread from a year ago.

Looks like this thread was hijacked in an effort to sell satellite TV.

I hope George can blank it.