PDA

View Full Version : Diamond pocket hone

jdunmyer
10-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Several years ago, Wal-Mart carried a pocket "knife sharpening hone" in their camping department. Cost was about $6.00, IIRC, and it came with a leather sheath. Size is 1" X 3" X 1/4" thick. I bought several for myself and friends, as I thought they were about the best thing ever for knife sharpening. (I did glue mine to a piece of wood much like a paint stirring stick to make it easier and less dangerous to use) Everyone I gave one to says that it's the best knife sharpener that they've ever used, but sadly, Wal-Mart no longer seems to carry them.

One of the friends that I gifted with the hone lost it and would really, really like a replacement. Any ideas?

Ghop Shop
10-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I had the exact same experience you had with the Wal-Mart diamond sharpners. They did disapear from the stores for a few years but have reappeared at some of the stores. You might want to check around. The last ones that I bought were EZE-LAP brand.

BadDog
10-15-2008, 05:53 PM
If it's what I'm thinking of, Enco sells them. I've got several in different grits.

John Garner
10-15-2008, 08:32 PM
jdunmeyer --

The Wal-Mart "Ozark Trail" diamond hones you ask about were made by EZE-Lap. They were, I believe, identical to the medium-grit EZE-Lap Model 26 except that the OT models lacked the groove for sharpening fishhooks.

EZ-Lap has a website: http://www.eze-lap.com/product/1x3ds.htm

Other high-quality diamond hones are made by DMT and Norton. The Norton hones are very similar to the EZE-Lap, but I believe that Norton uses monocrystaline diamond, which is supposed to last longer than the polycrystaline diamond used by EZE-Lap.

Most of the DMT hones are made of relatively thin steel with a plastic backing, making them a whole bunch lighter than same-sized EZE-Lap and Norton hones. DMT colors the plastic to identify the grit size, making it easy to identify which is which at a glance. DMT also offers some hones with a coarser grit on one side and a finer grit on the other, with a double-layer plastic backing between the metal layers to maintain the color coding. DMT uses monocrystaline diamond grit, like Norton.

The downside to the DMT hones, in my opinion, is that they perforate most of their hones in a regular polka-dot pattern. Supposedly this allows the swarf to collect in the recesses instead of holding the object being hones away from the abrasive, but points catch in the recesses and I find this a pain. DMT does catalog some hones with a solid surface or a solid-surface section, but I've never found one of the solid-surface hones in stock at any of the DMT dealers near me.

The DMT website: http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/other.htm

I've heard that 3M also makes diamond hones, but don't have any experience with them.

I carry a DMT "Diamond Mini Sharpener" pretty much every day, in my pocket. My EZE-Lap and Norton diamond hones are so much heavier that I don't want to tote them around with me, but they live in desk drawers, kitchen cabinets, and toolboxes so I can get to them quickly. I'll happily recommend any of the three brands to you.

John

lazlo
10-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Other high-quality diamond hones are made by DMT and Norton. The Norton hones are very similar to the EZE-Lap, but I believe that Norton uses monocrystaline diamond, which is supposed to last longer than the polycrystaline diamond used by EZE-Lap.

Most of the DMT hones are made of relatively thin steel with a plastic backing, making them a whole bunch lighter than same-sized EZE-Lap and Norton hones.

I've had a similar experience as John -- I've been doing a lot of hand-honing of carbide power scraping blades, and I flat-out wore-off the diamond coating on the cheap EZ Lap plastic dipstick-style laps in a very short period of time.

I have one of the Norton diamond bench stones, and a couple of the DMT's, and they seem to last forever...

Carld
10-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Go to www.smokeymountainknifeworks.com they have just about any diamond hone and knife you could ever want.

wierdscience
10-15-2008, 09:05 PM
I like the EZ-Lap credit card hones-

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7080

I use them to touch up brazed points without pulling them off the toolpost.