PDA

View Full Version : How is Diamond Plate Made??

ERBenoit
10-15-2008, 05:32 PM
May seem like a simple question but, someone asked me this today, and I really wasn't sure about it. I believe the pattern is impressed as it is rolled. I don't know how else the pattern could be applied.

macona
10-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Yep, done with a big rolling mill.

Timleech
10-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Yep, done with a big rolling mill.

Is it still made in the US?
Diamond floor plate hasn't been made here for donkey's years, there's actually a bit of a market for decent used plate for authentic restoration work.
Standard floor plate here is what they call 'Durbar Pattern'/

Tim

wierdscience
10-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Is it still made in the US?
Diamond floor plate hasn't been made here for donkey's years, there's actually a bit of a market for decent used plate for authentic restoration work.
Standard floor plate here is what they call 'Durbar Pattern'/

Tim

It's still made here,but not all patterns.The common diamond is still the most common,but some of the "checker" plate that Bethlehem made aren't availible.I really liked the sqaure checks on that product.It looked better and didn't get polished slick like modern diamond plate.

fishfrnzy
10-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Steel floor plate is rolled while hot with one of the rolls having the depressions in it and tho other is smooth (hot rolled floor plate or checker plate). Medium pattern is most common now.

I think Nucor and possibly Gallatin are the only mills in us doing it in steel.

FYI
There are a few that run aluminum floor plate in the US ( usually called Diamond plate in the dull 6061-T6 and Treadbrite for the 3003 shiny stuff on fire trucks)