PDA

View Full Version : Drill Doctor

rustyherman
07-22-2003, 01:43 AM
I have a Drill Doctor drill sharpener and I am learning how to use it. Those of you who have one also,may be interested in a simple modification that I made to the chuck. I kept losing track of whether I had turned the chuck an even amount of turns for each white mark on the chuck. So I scribbed one additional mark to one side of the chuck and rubbed white pencil into the scribe line. Now I had one white mark on one side of the chuck and two white marks on the other side of the chuck. Now I always start grinding the drill on the single white mark and when the single white mark is at the starting point,I know I have ground both drill faces the same amount,NO MORE COUNTING! Drill Doctor users,I hope you find this hint helpful.

------------------

dnsbss
07-22-2003, 05:23 AM
Thanks, I have one and have not used it muchbut since my CRS(can't remember ****) is getting worse that will help, if I can remember it!

Oso
07-22-2003, 08:55 AM
White mark?

Is that a drill doctor?

Mine has no such marks. But yours is a good idea. I may put ONE white mark on the chucks to check.

But surely when the grind has sparked out, it is done on both sides.....

rustyherman
07-22-2003, 09:19 AM
The model I have is a TRADESMAN,on page 8 of the instruction book,see #17 (aligning white marks). I have not tried to "spark out" a bit. I think nothing is gained,with the Drill Doctor,by sparking out and the instrustions do not mention it.

------------------

darryl
07-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Sparking out may leave the best finish possible on the bits, and should also leave the most accurate lips possible from the machine. It's doubtful if the difference will be noticable in practise, though. Maybe.

dhammer
07-23-2003, 12:34 AM
HSM just had a "review" of the Drill Doctor. I seem to remember the article mentioning "hearing" when the drill is ground correctly. Would you Drill Doctor owners care to comment on that?

Steve

Joel
07-23-2003, 12:49 AM
You stop "hearing" it when it sparks out. I don't count turns. I turn it until it stops grinding, then I apply more foward pressure and take a heavier cut. I get a smoother grind this way, but it's not a big deal. Making sure everything is aligned nicely in the jig probably requires more effort.