PDA

View Full Version : Machine related cell phone gripe

wierdscience
10-15-2008, 10:43 PM
This one is happening more and more frequently.Customers who waste my time while talking on the cellphone.

It happened twice today,two different customers asked me to look at their jobs and give them a quote.I'm standing there talking the job over with them when their phone rings and then I'm standing there waiting on them while they write down a shopping list.Then when they hang up I have to bring them back up to speed on the conversation.Lost about 45 minutes today to such foolishness.

I'm thinking of two possible actions.Ignore them and walk away until they hang up,or tell them to get off the f---ing phone and stop wasting my time.Am I being un-reasonable?

millwrong
10-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Just as in most things- it definitely depends.:D If they're good customers-add to billable time. If they're reasonable customers-talk to them about it. If they're not worth the time, or energy-hang up.

P.S. Remind me to "keep it brief" if I ever have to give you a ring.:D

Dave P.
10-15-2008, 11:15 PM
We're a retail business, it might not be best for our business but if they're
talking on the phone when they come in they get ignored till they
end the damn call.
If they are at the parts counter and take a call while we still need
info from them we'll help someone else till they end the call.
I think it's just rude to take and then continue a call while you're
taking up somebody else's time, could at least have the
manners to excuse themselves!
Off original topic......bikers come in and don't bother to take off
their full-face helmets....won't even say more than "hi" to em till it
comes off.
I must just be a grumpy bastard!
Dave P.

wierdscience
10-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Just as in most things- it definitely depends.:D If they're good customers-add to billable time. If they're reasonable customers-talk to them about it. If they're not worth the time, or energy-hang up.

P.S. Remind me to "keep it brief" if I ever have to give you a ring.

You missed it,I will stay on the phone with a customer as long as it takes.These are calls I am not part of between them and someone else.They are pratting on about the weather to Joe Blow while I'm standing there doing nothing losing $60/hr revenue half of which is mine.Basically the two today p---ed $22.50 of my money away,that could have bought me a nice Niagra endmill:mad: :eek: :D

Mike Burdick
10-15-2008, 11:43 PM
wierdscience,

I can understand your frustration completely! It's strange that we live in a society that when someone hears a bell ring (or whatever) they jump.:eek:

brucepts
10-16-2008, 06:53 AM
A little twist & threadjack . . . standing at the local NAPA counter waiting on the counter guy to wait on me, phone keeps ringing and he keeps answering it! I wait for about 3-4 conversations in-between he starts asking me what I need. I finally pickup my cell phone and call the store while I'm standing there, counter guy looks at me in amazement! I tell him I'm tired of waiting and this is the only way I can get my order placed!

Told the store manager this never happens at the local Autozone.

Guess what? Everytime I go in the store now they wait on me and put the phones on hold :)

I agree bill for your lost time, personally I'd tell them to hang up the phone or fireup a piece of machinery!!

Davek0974
10-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I've said it before but mobiles are a pain in the arse.

If someone takes a call while im in the middle of something with them and they dont have the manners to say 'i'll ring you back' i just walk away and get on with my own stuff until they can be bothered to find me again.

It all boils down to manners and respect.

TGTool
10-16-2008, 10:48 AM
I agree that when a customer adresses you, you should get their undivided attention for the duration of the transaction, just as they expect your attention when they come in. And in this day and age of technology, there's no excuse. Every cell phone I know of has voice mail. Let the voice mail take the call and call back. Same thing for call waiting. I'm talking to someone on the phone and they say, "Oh, excuse me a minute. I've got another call coming in." WTF? The other caller can leave a message too. Why is ANYONE else more important than this present conversation? It might be the queen or the president calling? What are the chances of that?

jr45acp
10-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I recently saw a sign at my Vet's office that essentially said: "If you're talking on your cell phone, as a courtesy, we will not interupt you"

Ian B
10-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if their precious little mobiles just didn't work in your nasty workshop that's cluttered with metal and VFD's:

http://www.phonejammer.com/

"Dunno, everyone complains of that..."

Ian

mark61
10-16-2008, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=brucepts] standing at the local NAPA counter waiting on the counter guy to wait on me, phone keeps ringing and he keeps answering it!
QUOTE]

Had this problem 18 or mor years ago. Had been going to THE only Napa store in the county since I was knee high to Uncle Jack the auto repair man. Finally I talked to the counter guy bout being tired of standing there with money in hand while he chats with the lazy SOB on the phone. Told him "next time it happens I am leaving". Next time I am in and have a BIG list of parts.. He lays them all out on the counter and starts writing them up. Phone rings, he turns away and I walked out. He come running after me asking "where you going? I said I told you before about that phone! I try to be fair. Give them a second chance. Next job I come in with the person who is actually paying for the parts-female customer. Damned if that idiot doesn't do it again! This time I corner ,,,yes corner the owner and bitch. Owner more or less blows me off. In the last 18 years I might have bee in there 5 time because I WILL go somewhere else long before I will be treated like I am being done a favor standing there while some jack off calls on the phone "just to see if they have it or the counter man agrees with the shop the part "might be bad". Service make all the diffence in the world!!!

mark61

lazlo
10-16-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm thinking of two possible actions.Ignore them and walk away until they hang up,or tell them to get off the f---ing phone and stop wasting my time.

Here's a third option Darin: a tri-band cell phone jammer. $38 with free shipping:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4355

Yes, they're illegal, but they work extremely well. At least, so I'm told ;)

http://www.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_4355_1.jpg

J Tiers
10-16-2008, 08:05 PM
You should have a corrugated iron building, with a metal door.

While certainly not a perfect shield, they usually mess up cell reception well enough that anyone making a call will have to go outside, removing the nuisance..... And their incoming call, if it arrives at all, will probably also require their leaving the building to talk.

Once they are out, you are off the hook for not paying attention. And you have time to think about their job without them staring at you as they yak.

airsmith282
10-16-2008, 10:02 PM
defently go for the jammer device that will fix them good eheheheehehh

wierdscience
10-16-2008, 10:17 PM
The jammer sounds good,prolly go over better than me snatching the phone out of their hand and jamming it under a 50ton press ram:D

On a side note a 50ton press will make a cheap calculator into a plastic one piece drink coaster:D

Ian B
10-17-2008, 12:43 AM
JTiers,

You mention a corrugated iron building. I was in a lift a couple of days ago, all nice shiny stainless steel walls - and mobile phone reception was perfect! I'm baffled as to how this can be. I suppose the top & bottom of the lift compartment aren't solid metal, but it always amazes me how reception can be so good inside such a space.

Ian

Paul Alciatore
10-17-2008, 12:57 AM
You should have a corrugated iron building, with a metal door.

While certainly not a perfect shield, they usually mess up cell reception well enough that anyone making a call will have to go outside, removing the nuisance..... And their incoming call, if it arrives at all, will probably also require their leaving the building to talk.

Once they are out, you are off the hook for not paying attention. And you have time to think about their job without them staring at you as they yak.

The jammer is illegal and you could be fined or worse. A shield is completely legal.

To keep low level RF out, you don't need a solid shield. Chicken coop wire would work just fine. Be sure to solder it together every foot or so where it meets. Ground it several times around the perimiter of the building. Windows and doors will still let it in so they need to be shielded also. And don't forget the ceiling/roof.

Paul Alciatore
10-17-2008, 01:09 AM
JTiers,

You mention a corrugated iron building. I was in a lift a couple of days ago, all nice shiny stainless steel walls - and mobile phone reception was perfect! I'm baffled as to how this can be. I suppose the top & bottom of the lift compartment aren't solid metal, but it always amazes me how reception can be so good inside such a space.

Ian

They may have deliberately added a pair of antennae to that lift. One outside and one inside with a cable between them. Brings the signal in and out passively presicely for cell operation.

Or if the top or bottom were not metal, cell frequencies could easily penetrate. The wavelength is very short and can enter through even small openings (several inches) in the metal shield. Small metal objects, like nails iside a wood structure, could even act as a combination of recieving and transmitting antenna and re-radiate the signal into/out of the structure.

I have been in all metal buildings, walls and roof. and the cell signal reached almost the entire interior through the plate glass front windows and around isles formed by metal shelving.

ckelloug
10-17-2008, 01:38 AM
I've gotten phone calls in rooms that were once DOD Tempest Certified for being "RF-Proof". (In theory, a vault surrounded by a grounded Faraday Cage). You could still see the copper fingers that were supposed to ensure shield continuity when the door was closed.

It's amazing how those nasty cell phone signals managed to find a way in through whatever faults had crept into the shielding over the years.