PDA

View Full Version : Year of Manufature from Serial Nr - Elliott

derekm
10-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Anyone know how or know of some one who can decode year of manufacture from the Serial number for Elliott machine tools
specifically #nrs
120996/373
491596/201

thistle
10-16-2008, 10:51 AM
whats that for, the shaper or the omnimill?
precious little on the web about elliott machines, considering the number of them around the world

derekm
10-16-2008, 11:20 AM
whats that for, the shaper or the omnimill?
precious little on the web about elliott machines, considering the number of them around the world
Thats both of them.
120996/373 is the shaper
491596/201 is the omnimill

both seem to be late models... The omnimill has a Gates serial number/ nameplate The shaper has a B.Elliott name plate and number stamped on it.

cant find anything on the web as the Elliott name disspeared sometime in '90s.
whats are the serial nrs of your kit?

Derek

thistle
10-16-2008, 12:06 PM
will get back to you on that,I am not doing anything productive, at the moment just waiting on materials to arrive and the phone to ring and so on , which will all happen if i go and start a job

I dont have the Elliott 10m anymore, , just an Alba shaper, which would be 1950s,my 181 horizontal would date to very early 70s will find the ser. # for that

thistle
10-16-2008, 01:14 PM
where is the serial number located on the omnimill?
my mill is covered in muck

derekm
10-16-2008, 01:30 PM
where is the serial number located on the omnimill?
my mill is covered in muck
inside. Open the back cover, Its on the column halfway up opposite the feed gear storage on the cover.

Derek

Mark McGrath
10-16-2008, 03:15 PM
I think you will struggle to date a BEC machine tool.There were just so many.I had three of their universal mills at one time and not two the same.Trouble is,Elliott`s only made a machine for so long and then usually sold the drawings to whoever wanted them for to do a spares operation.The last Elliott spares firm I remember was Alan Richardson who only did lathes and they have gone.I would say the only chance you have of dating a machine is to find a couple of guys with the same machine who know the dates of theirs to help work it out.The other obstacle is that by and large mills and shapers were mainly sold to educational establishments,I`ve been in machine shops from the early sixties and apart from lathes can not think of any company that bought a shaper or mill.You could try tracking down the dealers that sold them but I doubt they still have that info given it was so long ago.In Scotland they were mostly sold by Wilkinsons of Edinburgh and Oldfields of Glasgow or thereabouts.
I still have an Elliott 550 lathe which I rate as a reasonable machine.
Mark.

Milacron of PM
10-16-2008, 03:26 PM
I .I would say the only chance you have of dating a machine is to find a couple of guys with the same machine who know the dates of theirs to help work it out. One other chance... look carefully at any control transformers or anything electronic connected with the machine. Sometimes there are date codes on component nameplates.

I can tell the year of most CNC machines by looking at date codes on semiconductors. 1191, for example, might mean Nov 1991, which means the machine is probably 1992. But in that case you have to see the code over and over on many of the IC's to be sure it really is a date and not a serial number or model number.

derekm
10-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Bearing Races used in the machines are often engraved with the date of manufacture and if the races hadnt been replaced in the vertical head then the year of manufacture for the mill is after 1995

thistle
10-16-2008, 04:21 PM
im stuffed machines covered in muck door is blocked in by junk, maybe i should turn it upside down and look up its kilt.-
will find the serial for you eventuly!

Mark McGrath
10-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Don,
I forgot about the electrical parts,but most,if not all of these Elliott machines were made before the low voltage for control regulations so just have contactors and buttons running on 415 volts.On most of them you could put the electrical control gear in your pocket.
Derekm,I have never seen a bearing race engraved with the year of manufacture,and I would be interested in hearing of other people who have seen it.
I doubt that BEC actually had any machines manufactured after the early seventies at the latest.The last few years they were selling Gate machinery.
Mark.

derekm
10-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Don,
I forgot about the electrical parts,but most,if not all of these Elliott machines were made before the low voltage for control regulations so just have contactors and buttons running on 415 volts.On most of them you could put the electrical control gear in your pocket.
Derekm,I have never seen a bearing race engraved with the year of manufacture,and I would be interested in hearing of other people who have seen it.
I doubt that BEC actually had any machines manufactured after the early seventies at the latest.The last few years they were selling Gate machinery.
Mark.
The Omni-mill has a Gate serial number plate its a Gate machine.
The shaper has a BEC serial number on a BEC plate and BEC stamped on the shaper. (I'm going to look inside the switch gear to check if there are any date codes)

speedy
10-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Derek, has your Hoover motor got DOM on the motor plate or elsewhere? Maybe check out your local motor rewinders/ suppliers?
My metric Viceroy Royale 250 shaper came supplied with a 3 phase Hoover motor, 4 speed(2 pulley, 2 gears) and a sweet clutch (Taylor). Castings from India?
That is a nice looking Elliot that you have BTW.

derekm
10-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Derek, has your Hoover motor got DOM on the motor plate or elsewhere? Maybe check out your local motor rewinders/ suppliers?
My metric Viceroy Royale 250 shaper came supplied with a 3 phase Hoover motor, 4 speed(2 pulley, 2 gears) and a sweet clutch (Taylor). Castings from India?
That is a nice looking Elliot that you have BTW.

Checked the motor plate ~ nothing doing
BTW thanks ~ just got to make room for it in the shop.