PDA

View Full Version : Index 740 Mill

h6m3s4o7
10-17-2008, 07:29 PM
All

Well, well, I was out and about looking for some hubs for my wagon. I have a Child's wagon on steroids, but it's got a poorly designed rim / hub set-up, I have already broken two of these and a third one is visibly cracked. I went to a local trailer distributor to see if I could find a replacement hub. The proprietor and I were just talking 'bout how to modify the hub assembly he had to sell to fit the tire / rim / hub assembly I have. I mentioned that I would just modify my old hub and rim / wheel to fit and that I had a lathe. The proprietor said" Do you want to buy a nice three phase lathe, oh and by the way I got an old Bridgeport I want to sell also. So I looked, the Bridgeport turned into this Index 740 and the Lathe into a SB. The price for the Index was O. K, but I thought that he wanted too much for the SB. So I paid the man for the Index and plan to pick it up next week.

Now for the "fun' I will need to disassemble the mill to get it in my basement, this will include separating the head, motor, ram, table saddle and knee. I have sent a message to Wells-Index asking about a manual, but I was wondering if any of you have any experience or tips to share about disassembly.

O

thistle
10-17-2008, 08:51 PM
I have an 845
how big a hole do you have to go through

pretty simple taking apart an index mill, I would take off the turret and head , 4 bolts about 600 pounds, and the table.wouldnt go further than that
i took the turret and head off with an engine hoist, but it was a bit scary.putting it back is not fun.and i worried about raising a bur while putting it back.

the table is straight forward take out the leadscrew, back off the tapered gibs and i slid it out onto some plastic lumber

pictures of the mill would help

Tyro 001
10-18-2008, 04:00 PM
I have an 860 that was taken apart so I could transport it, and get it into my garage. I'm going to assume contruction of the 847 is similar to my 860, minus the horizontal head. If you aren't lucky enough to have a gantry crane, you can use an engine hoist like I did. Buy a good lifting sling with eyes, not hooks. Hooks will slip off. Make sure the hook on the hoist has a safety catch so the eyes don't slip off. Trust me, hooks like the ones on tow straps will slip off anything, and things will slip off lifting hooks if the hooks don't have a safety catch. I have experienced all of the aforementioned, so heed the voice of experience. Take the head off first. BEFORE REMOVING THE VERTICAL HEAD, LOCATE THE WORM SCREW WHICH ROTATES THE HEAD.The worm must be removed before the head is taken off, otherwise you'll wreck the head's rotating gear and the worm. There is an allen screw which keeps the worm in place. Take the ram and turret off as a unit. Getting the ram and turret back on will be fairly easy. I did it by myself. Getting the veritcal head back on is tricky. The vertical head has a gear which fits into a socket on the ram. There is almost no clearance between the gear and socket. The gear is cast iron and easily damaged. I did it with the same engine hoist I used to install the ram and turret. I also had two helpers. One operated the hoist, I got under the head and aligned it (and hoped like hell the hoist didn't fail) and the third slipped the bolts in. You will have to rotate the head for each mounting bolt. Good luck. Let me know if you need any other advice, I'll be glad to tell anything I know. BTW it will be a week or so before I get back on this board. I hope you'll forgive me if I'm coming across as a little pedantic on the lift equipment advice, but I've had almost every device failure that can happem Usually, when I'm under the hoist, etc. I've come very close to getting killed, or worse several times. The last failure missed three of us by one inch. Don't get sloppy or cheap. Use a sling not a chain. Generally, the sling should be long enough to wrap it around the object at least twice. Be aware of the balance point of the object you are lifting, as well as the direction it rolls in the sling when you start to lift it.