PDA

View Full Version : S-l-o-w Diamond Wheel

DICKEYBIRD
10-19-2008, 05:08 PM
I've been wanting to try this for quite a while so today I cobbled together the prototype....in other words a quick lash-up that'll probably stay that way for years.

The idea was to turn the diamond wheel on my H/F carbide grinder at a very slow speed to put the final edge on HSS tools. McGyver's thread http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=31171 gave me the confidence to give it a whirl (pardon the pun.)

v1.0 has a worm drive 12v DC motor off a Jaguar power tilt steering column. Before the Lucas Prince of darkness/English frig/warm beer jokes start, it's a Bosch motor.:) I'll use it for a while and see how I like it.

I turned an aluminum hub that locks to the output shaft with a setscrew and a piece of radiator hose connects it to the wheel arbor on the A/O wheel end. The lashed up mount is a simple shelf bracket with a slot milled in it and a hose clamp. I used the existing table adjustment bolt to lock it down. It can be installed or removed in seconds.

I used the stock drip cup to drip plain water onto the wheel and just finished honing the edges of a HSS lathe tool. It came out fantastic. Far better than I could have done by hand with an EZELap. It was so much easier to hold the tool at the proper angle.

So far there's been no dramatic exodus of tortured diamond particles from the wheel.;)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/DiamondSlowMotor.jpg

oldtiffie
10-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Thank you DickeyBird.

Excellent concept and implementation.

I have a T&C grinder that I use my diamond wheels on and it seems OK so far - but I acknowledge and concede all the points regarding the benefit of a "slow wet wheel" as wood-workers have been using the same principle for sharpening tools (plane blades, chisels etc) for a long time to get a "fine edge" and to not "draw" the "temper" of the tool.

My problem is with my Chinese geared-head lathe that has a low(est) speed of 116 RPM which I'd like to be 20>30 RPM for screw-threading and form-tool work.

That idea and adaption of yours has the basis of a solution for me as well. I had thought of mounting an adaptor or drive onto the end of my lathe spindle or incorporating a belt (preferred) or chain drive (alternative) on to my spindle flange with the drive at the back of the lathe.

I need to think about this some more, but you have sown the seed.

Many thanks.

barts
10-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Neat trick w/ the diamond wheel..

Oldtiffie, the easy way to fix your speed problem is to use a 3 phase motor and VFD from your single phase input; running at 20% of max speed in back gear won't be a problem and you'll love having a knob to tune the speed around any chatter...

- Bart