PDA

View Full Version : and while im at it .

davidh
10-20-2008, 08:34 AM
my sheldon 13 has a knob, along with the feed levers on the carriage, that pluus out, and just smaps back in. . . . i would really like to know what its suppose to do........................

and after taking some pix;s of my machinery, im herre to tell ya, im really embarrased as to how poorly they look.

i have cleaned them a bit, but holy cow, they are horrible looking.

i am promising myself that this winter i will CLEAN & PAINT all three of them so nicely that it will look like they are going in an auction (like most of you, i would not part with any of my stuff) so i will no longer be ashamed to show them off. (hanging my head in shame)

herre are three photo's of the sheldon. . .
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii12/tooldoc/oct08016.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii12/tooldoc/oct08017.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii12/tooldoc/oct08015.jpg

Mekanizm
10-20-2008, 09:07 AM
On my 15" Sheldon, it is an oiler for the apron. Pull it out and it slowly goes back in, say 5-15 seconds IIRC.

Ian B
10-20-2008, 09:12 AM
As Mekanizm says, it's probably an oiler. My Harrison has one that slowly feeds oil between the saddle and the bed, and into the sliding surfaces of the cross slide.

If yours just snaps back in, the most probable cause is an empty oil reservoir. Could also be a check valve in the system has failed.

Ian

Lew Hartswick
10-20-2008, 09:42 AM
> after taking some pix;s of my machinery, im herre to tell ya, im really embarrased as to how poorly they look.<

You should be ashamed. :-) at least clean ou the swarf tray. :-)
...lew...

JCHannum
10-20-2008, 10:03 AM
One shot oiler is my guess as well. It is a feature on these lathes. I don't know where the reservoir is though.

Paint and pretty don't necessarily make a machine better. But there are safety considerations involved in keeping the chip pan clean. One has only to experience a coil of swarf picking up a wad of chips and wrapping them around everything in sight to become a believer.

Fasttrack
10-20-2008, 11:25 AM
One shot oiler is my guess as well. It is a feature on these lathes. I don't know where the reservoir is though.

Paint and pretty don't necessarily make a machine better. But there are safety considerations involved in keeping the chip pan clean. One has only to experience a coil of swarf picking up a wad of chips and wrapping them around everything in sight to become a believer.

Been there, done that. I wear a pair of pliers everytime I'm in the shop and make darn sure that my chip flow isn't getting out of control. Even if I'm in the middle of job, I make sure to empty or at least move all the swarf away from the chuck, workpiece and chip flow.

barts
10-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Been there, done that. I wear a pair of pliers everytime I'm in the shop and make darn sure that my chip flow isn't getting out of control. Even if I'm in the middle of job, I make sure to empty or at least move all the swarf away from the chuck, workpiece and chip flow.

One of the things I'm noticing after switching to a 15" YMZ from a 10" Atlas (10x weight difference!) is that the chips are now strong enough to be hazardous; taking the time to remove 'em (esp. the long ones) is a good idea.

Fasttrack
10-20-2008, 01:49 PM
One of the things I'm noticing after switching to a 15" YMZ from a 10" Atlas (10x weight difference!) is that the chips are now strong enough to be hazardous; taking the time to remove 'em (esp. the long ones) is a good idea.

:) Yep. It was a big change going from my Smithy, where I'd take a max DOC of .05, to the Pacemaker where I'm taking .1 or larger DOC! It makes some serious chips.