PDA

View Full Version : 6 inch aluminum oxide grinding wheel...

Highpower
10-20-2008, 11:11 PM
... does anybody make one in a type 50 wheel (metal plate backing)? :confused:

Bill Pace
10-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Well, somebody does (or did!).....

I've got a nice one on my Delta, so my buddy says "where'd you get that good lookin AO wheel" and I says " oh, I got that from -----" and went totally blank...have gone through every catalog I can find and racked my gray cells and cannot pull it out!

I really thought it had come from Victor, but if it did they dont show it anymore....

smiller6912
10-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Is this what you want?
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PACACHE=000000072576233

Highpower
10-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Link does not work for me - just comes up with an empty search page.

Do you have a part number? Thanks.

smiller6912
10-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Link does not work for me - just comes up with an empty search page.

Do you have a part number? Thanks.

You know what........? After looking again, (part: MSC #: 90852377) it might not be right. It says type 5, 4" wide The catalog (page 867) says 1" wide. I've been half-fast looking for one myself.
I will call MSC later..........:mad:

Mike Nash
10-21-2008, 09:24 AM
No Direct Link but: http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm

Search on P/N 1-704-368

The online catalog (page 536) shows $21.55 but the site shows $27.55 which seems pretty high. You could call them.

I bought one years ago for the HF carbide grinder from KBC but I don't know if it was this one. The OD was slightly too big for the HF. I just hit the wheel with a diamond point. Others enlarged the clearance in the grinder.

Highpower
10-21-2008, 09:33 AM
You know what........? After looking again, (part: MSC #: 90852377) it might not be right. It says type 5, 4" wide The catalog (page 867) says 1" wide. I've been half-fast looking for one myself.
I will call MSC later..........:mad:
You know what......? You pointed me to exactly what I was looking for! :D

It looks like # 99607152 will fit my needs very well. Oddly enough, I searched Norton's web site for an hour and never did see such a wheel listed there. And somehow I missed it completely on MSC's site. :o So THANK YOU very much!!!

I've been trying to figure out a way to do both HSS and carbide on the same carbide grinder - and just too blind to be able find the AO wheel. :(

smiller6912
10-21-2008, 10:10 AM
You know what......? You pointed me to exactly what I was looking for! :D

It looks like # 99607152 will fit my needs very well. Oddly enough, I searched Norton's web site for an hour and never did see such a wheel listed there. And somehow I missed it completely on MSC's site. :o So THANK YOU very much!!!

I've been trying to figure out a way to do both HSS and carbide on the same carbide grinder - and just too blind to be able find the AO wheel. :(

I'm not sure that we are getting the straight scoop from that page, when I checked the Norton site, that part is a straight hole not a plate mounted. I'm going over to MSC later, I'll check with them to get confirmation. :mad:

DR
10-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Keep looking guys. They're out there. I had a vertical spindle surface grinder that a previous owner had converted to use that type wheel.

I was always able to buy them from the online tool houses.

BTW, in the rare instance an odd ball size grinding wheel is nowhere to be found, you can have them custom made at a surprisingly reasonable price. Pacific Grinding Wheel (or something like that) north of Seattle made wheels for me in the past.

Evan
10-21-2008, 03:00 PM
My wife sells those wheels as a special order item, readily available. Don't know price or delivery time though, She's out for lunch right now.

smiller6912
10-21-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure that we are getting the straight scoop from that page, when I checked the Norton site, that part is a straight hole not a plate mounted. I'm going over to MSC later, I'll check with them to get confirmation. :mad:

Well............ The counter help at MSC was not worth the trip, and the guy at Grainger looked at me like I was out of my mind. He said he didn't know what I was talking about... the moron...:mad:

It looks like ( http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm , P/N 1-704-368) this KBC part might be right so I ordered one, I'll check back when I get it.

kruszert
10-21-2008, 04:18 PM
I recently purchased the Harbor Freight grinder for carbide and have been looking for an al-ox wheel to put on it for HSS bits. Looked everywhere I could think of MSC, McMaster, internet, etc. and just gave up!

Looks like this may work. Do you want it for HSS or something else. Let us know if it works.

Thanks for the link,
Reggie

heidad01
10-21-2008, 05:28 PM
The one suggested from KBC above (1-704-368) works and I have seen it recommended on several BBS. Also check out J&L item number 90852377 which is listed as a type 5. The only catch is it has a 1" center hole. If everyting else matches, it should not be too hard to expand that to 1.25"; but it is a better looking wheeel and hardness of I instead of K for theone from KBC . DavidH

Highpower
10-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Well............ The counter help at MSC was not worth the trip, and the guy at Grainger looked at me like I was out of my mind. He said he didn't know what I was talking about... the moron...:mad:

It looks like ( http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm , P/N 1-704-368) this KBC part might be right so I ordered one, I'll check back when I get it. Thanks - I appreciate that.... :)

p.s.
Could you let us know the max RPM for this wheel also when you get it? ;)

smiller6912
10-27-2008, 12:34 PM
...Could you let us know the max RPM for this wheel .....
Well, it finally got here..... (5 days in shipping, I don't know what that is all about)....:rolleyes:
It looks to be correct, dimensionally. I'll install it tonight and let you know. It is a 45 grit with a 3450 max. rpm so, it should be great for roughing..

lazlo
10-27-2008, 02:35 PM
... does anybody make one in a type 50 wheel (metal plate backing)? :confused:

It's a type 35 plate-mounted grinding wheel.

MSC/J&L carry them.

I bought the Norton type 35 wheels at Grainger when they were clearancing them out a year or so ago. Don't know if they still carry them.

lazlo
10-27-2008, 02:50 PM
No Direct Link but: http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm

Search on P/N 1-704-368

Mike's right -- that's the correct metal-backed wheel for the HF Baldor 500 clone.

MSC only carries the name-brand Norton Type 35 wheels, which are expensive as hell -- about $90 each.
MSC has assimilated J&L's catalog, but you can find the correct wheel as the legacy J&L Part number: 34948

http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMCTLG=00&PMAKA=90852377&returnurl=mtl&partnerURL=http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/jlindustrial/index.aspx?pagename=shopmain&pagenumber=1599&jsessionid=&mode=&epcode=

smiller6912
10-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Well............ It looks like ( http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm , P/N 1-704-368) this KBC part might be right so I ordered one, I'll check back when I get it.

IT WORKS! According to the label, it is a type 50, 45 grit, 6"x1"x4", 3450 RPM wheel. It was a little snug fit, I had to dress the paint out of the holes to get it to slide on and it needed a little touch up with a star dresser to square it up but, it cuts HSS like a dream. Now, it is a 45 grit so, I still needed to finish dress the tool on my trusty old 1x42, 220 grit belt sander to make it perfect but as for roughing, it works great.:cool:

lazlo
10-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Now, it is a 45 grit so, I still needed to finish dress the tool on my trusty old 1x42, 220 grit belt sander to make it perfect but as for roughing, it works great.:cool:

I think the cheap plate-mounted wheel from KBC and J&L are the same wheel -- they're both 46 grit. The only wheels I've found that are finer grit are the Norton 32AA (grey) wheels, which I bought in 60 and 80 grit. But they're crazy expensive -- I only got them because Grainger was clearing-them out for $20 each.

The issue with the hole being tight is because the HF mounting ring and spud is slightly oversized. You'll run into the same problem when you try to mount a 1A1 diamond wheel on it.

smiller6912
10-27-2008, 08:47 PM
This thing is "Sofa-King" cool. It takes me 5 min to make a tool that I used to spend a half hour on. I had 5 pieces of 5/16 blanks in my box, now I have a new cutoff tool, a new 60 deg threading tool, a new RH cutter, and A new finishing tool. I might have to order some new blanks.... ;)

Highpower
10-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Awesome! Thanks! :D

smiller6912
10-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Awesome! Thanks! :D

NO!... Thank you for prodding me into finally doing this (:o ). I have been wanting to and "Half-Fast" looking for a long while. It was frustrating. Now I have a HSS cutter on one end and a carbide on the other, I'm all set. I don't use carbides much on my little lathe (Smithy G1324) and my grinder was mostly taking up space, with 2 green wheels on it, so this will let me use it more often and be a big time saver.

PS. I did notice that my (HF) grinder developed a new little dance, not real bad but, noticeable. I'm hoping that I can eventually dress that out. (I hope).

Highpower
10-29-2008, 05:09 PM
NO!... Thank you for prodding me into finally doing this (:o ). I have been wanting to and "Half-Fast" looking for a long while. It was frustrating. Now I have a HSS cutter on one end and a carbide on the other, I'm all set.
LOL! Right back at ya'.....
I was putting off buying the grinder unless I could find a wheel that would work for HSS bits, since I use those about 80% of the time anyway. After your post on getting the new KBC wheel, is was a done deal. Picked up the new HF grinder this morning. :)

Better yet - I printed out the catalog page for the part number and took it with me. Went straight to the checkout counter and said "I need one of these." The cashier calls back to one of the stock clerks and tells them to bring one of the grinders up front, and she proceeds to check me out - at the catalog price! ($159 vs. $189 in the store.) :D

Off to the KBC site now.... ;)

smiller6912
10-29-2008, 08:02 PM
...... After your post on getting the new KBC wheel, is was a done deal. Picked up the new HF grinder this morning. :)

Note on the HF grinder. It is from HF. This means you will need to do a little "fitting" to get it to work nice. When installing the tables you will need to touch them up to get them to work smoothly and you will need to give the goose neck lamp stem a twist around one full turn to stiffen it up a little. There have been some other posts on this subject here so you may want to do a search, I can't remember them all.
Good luck, and happy grinding..;)

Highpower
10-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Note on the HF grinder. It is from HF. This means you will need to do a little "fitting" to get it to work nice.
That pretty much applies to anything from HF, doesn't it? ;)

Thanks for the tips though. I'll be sure to do a search for all the "tidbits" later. I did take a big chance a few minutes ago, and ordered a fine Norton (80 grit) wheel from MSC (38A80- HVBE) for touching up already ground tools. MSC + Norton = $$$ :eek:
I'll check back with results on that....

For what it's worth.... MSC free shipping code for November (over $25) is MW118FF

gwilson
10-24-2009, 10:59 PM
I had a HF double end carbide grinder at work. It never gave us any trouble,and had the RARE reversing switch(though later on Enco started carrying a grinder with reversing switch). I also have a Bridgewood grinder at home that I bought years ago that also has a reversing switch. For some time,the only grinders with reverse were the Baldors.

What I did to improve performance was to take the wheels off,and get the tables on parallel to the wheel mounting flanges. Then,I held a carbide lathe bit tightly against the miter gauges on each end,and took off a very thin cut to make the flanges run perfectly true. They were only out by a few thousanths to begin with. I mounted diamond wheels on each flange after that. I wanter the plated diamond wheels to run perfectly true,so as to not wear off a spot on them unevenly.

This worked fine on both grinders. I've had the Bridgewood since about 1986,and the HF for about 10 years+(hard to recall). They haven't been used in a production situation,but so far they have been fine,obviously not as nice as the Baldors,but 10% the cost,or so.

Twmaster
10-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Very cool! Thanks for the link to that wheel. I've got a cheapo 6" grinder from Lowe's. I'm sure it came from the same skanky plant in Chingville as those H-F grinders do...

I was just about to go looking for a good wheel to do HSS on....

:D

Black_Moons
10-25-2009, 03:12 PM
KBCtools sells green, white aluminum oxide and diamond/CBN (CBN rule!) for toolroom grinders.

Tinkerer
10-25-2009, 09:09 PM
These are a direct fit for the HF grinder... and remove HSS quick and cool.

White Premium Aluminum, Grade.
http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/Abrasives/GW008.asp