PDA

View Full Version : Hoisting Pipe To Ceiling

madman
10-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Imagine a 12 foot high ceiling and a 245 pound older fellow with a air cooler dryer unit under one arm while slowly clambering step by step to the top to place the unit into a welded angle bracket. i used red devil block anchors to hold it (the dryer unit0 to the wall and it worked awesome. Thanx \Guys fopr the tips. so many things i dont know. The older i get the less i find i know. LOL. NOW i have to lift 21 foot 1.2250 black poipe sections to the ceiling and fasten them. Any ideas on lifting rigging this stuff? I have 2 ladders thats it. Thanx Madman (yeah i feel like one) Mike

TGTool
10-21-2008, 10:48 AM
The drywall installers use a hand crank lift to raise panels into postion on the ceiling for nailing. You can rent them from the rental places. Is that a possibility for hoisting them where you want them for fastening at your leisure?

thistle
10-21-2008, 11:03 AM
get weirdscience down there , he could pull the ceiling down low enough for you, while you fasten it , or pick you up with one hand and lift you up and pass the pipe with the other.

only 2 ladders huh, i would set a round eye in the ceiling through something strong, then use some cord to pull the pipe up ,then go up and screw it up .

of course it would be easier to hire some scaffolding , i hate swaying up a ladder , a fall will be ugly

madman
10-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Im gonna use 2 ladders and extend them max them loop a rope up at the top rung. Then fasten the samee rope to the pipe and pull it up evenly?/ Might work.

speedy
10-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Mike, your on your own? I would use trestles and planks if I had them available; Falling from 6 foot, although not high, can have unpleasant consequences.
String line the pipe run. Fasten pipe clamps/saddles in place. Attach lifting eyes at intermediate points (maybe offset the eyes so that you can cleanly maneuver the pipe into its final position) then use these to pull the pipe up into position.

RancherBill
10-21-2008, 10:23 PM
This might be an idea for the middle of the pipe. Get the pipe up to the right level and then, on your second ladder to make first connection. Move the second ladder to the other end and fasten. The weight has been on the midle ladder and you haven't had to fight the weight.

http://www.digiplan.ca/image/ladderhoist.gif

Dawai
10-21-2008, 11:07 PM
The only worse thing from working on a ladder in the ceiling is working by yourself.. I was standing in front of a mirror looking at purple-green stripes across my body where I had rode a ladder down a wall as it kicked out. I learned a lot that day. (I looked like a striped pink sasquatch)

I've done silly things like rig pipes hanging in the bar joists on chain, then putting dock boards on them.. I am the luckiest man on earth in some things. I also can remember walking sprinkler and steam lines.. once a steam line starts flowing steam.. well it is not a good time to be standing on it with your shoes melting. They are slippery..

A scaffold or rolling Scissor lift is the safest way to proceed.. Put your hangers up, then ride the pipe up into them and screw it all together.

Scishopguy
10-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Mike...I vote for scaffolding. It is pretty cheap to rent and makes the job a lot less scarry. Besides, we are all getting older and old folks don't heal up as fast as the young ones.

ietech
10-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Mike...I vote for scaffolding. It is pretty cheap to rent and makes the job a lot less scarry. Besides, we are all getting older and old folks don't heal up as fast as the young ones.

If you are using extension ladders and count on them holding when most of the weight is supported at the top of the ladder. I think you are giong to have a problem with kickout at the bottom. At least secure the bottom of the ladder, as extension ladders don't like heavy weight on the top rung. Just my opinion --- Please be careful.

Scishopguy
10-23-2008, 10:29 AM
If you are using extension ladders and count on them holding when most of the weight is supported at the top of the ladder. I think you are giong to have a problem with kickout at the bottom. At least secure the bottom of the ladder, as extension ladders don't like heavy weight on the top rung. Just my opinion --- Please be careful.

ietech...You missunderstand me when I say scaffolding. I am talking about frames that you erect in sections, like brick masons use. They are sturdy and will hold a whole pallet of brick.

Dawai
10-23-2008, 11:09 AM
will hold a whole pallet of brick.

And a 300lb electrician.... so far... The walk boards have held up so far.. some of them only have a 300lb rating thou.

With a helper, rollers, once you get up on there it is as fast as a $60,000 scissor lift working..

Smokedaddy
10-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Madman,

You can rent a Sumner lift (Genie lift and others) pretty cheap. We lift pipe with them all the time. We make an adapter assembly that slides over the square tubes that has 2 uprights with cradles on each one. That way we can get the piper higher than the mast.

Hate to see you get hurt ya know,
-SD:

speedy
10-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Use caution of course but remember that we are only talking a height of 12 foot here. Assuming that Mike isn't a midget of 3 foot 6 inches and that he can reach to 6 foot with ease, then a platform/trestles etc of 6 foot is the minimum that is required IMO. We're talking 21 feet of 1 1/4 black pipe not lengths of 6" heavy wall steam.

Smokedaddy
10-24-2008, 11:55 AM
We're talking 21 feet of 1 1/4 black pipe not lengths of 6" heavy wall steam.

Duh ... guess I should of read the post more carefully. <red-faced>

http://www.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/100672204

http://www.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/46174649

-SD:

deltap
10-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Install 3/8 threaded rod in ceiling at 10' spacing. Attach clevis hangers. Balance pipe on your shoulder and walk up ladder. Ladder should be under a hanger. Spear end of pipe through next hanger down. Slide pipe along in hanger until it will rest against ceiling without falling.

speedy
10-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Duh ... guess I should of read the post more carefully. <red-faced>.-SD:

My comments was not directed at anyone in particular SD, they were purely an observation(?)
BTW, that is a damn fine home you have there.