PDA

View Full Version : made a new tool today

airsmith282
10-21-2008, 07:39 PM
ok the tool in the pics is for working on crosman airgun for taking apart the piston assembly on the crosman 130 140 annd many other crosman pistols and rifles , tomorow iam going to be making a reassembly tool for the pistol and rifle version piston assemblys...

the block is some sort of steel not sure what.... gota it form a friend of mine forgot to ask , the rest is all stainless steel parts i made on the lathe...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/airsmith282/11-2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/airsmith282/12-2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/airsmith282/13-2.jpg

davidh
10-21-2008, 10:08 PM
you should show pix;s of what it does when being used. . . otherwise its difficult to understand what you are trying to do with it. . . .

its really cool to design and build a "rig" to do or undo something on a regular basis. . . in the repair business i find the need to be creative quite often. i call it finnish engineering because of where i live. . . .finlandia of the north. . . on the finlander hyway which connects to the finlander freeway.

(county road "f" and county road "f-f")

macona
10-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Really should avoid using stainless for threaded parts. It galls sooo easy.

Get some good anti-seize grease on it and it should help prevent it.

SDL
10-22-2008, 03:24 AM
Really should avoid using stainless for threaded parts. It galls sooo easy.

Looks like stainless on another type of steel. so might not be so bad. we used to use a stainless on stainless assembly and often had Galling changed one part to brass and no problem, so disimilar metals is another solution.

Steve Larner

airsmith282
10-22-2008, 08:01 AM
so if stainless is so bad why then are stainless steel nuts bolts and screws made then ?????

perosnaly i have never had issues with threaded parts on stainless steel well not yet any how

SDL
10-22-2008, 08:09 AM
so if stainless is so bad why then are stainless steel nuts bolts and screws made then ?????

perosnaly i have never had issues with threaded parts on stainless steel well not yet any how

Its a problem thats why they make ani sieze. I have been on site in 3 places in the US and Canada where stainless steel nuts and bolts have galled and have had to be cut off.

Two sets holing pipe flanges amout M24 and one set holding the end plate of a UV chamber on M16.

No one usually believes it till it happens to them.

Steve Larner

airsmith282
10-22-2008, 09:28 AM
iam not doubting that it can happen but i am thinking it would more likey depend on the application, weather or not there would be issues.

JCHannum
10-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Making tools for various purposes is one of the advantaged of owning a home shop. That looks like a well thought out tool. The tools need not be elegant, just work. That looks like a good job, congratulations.

Some stainless steels are more prone to galling than others. It is usually only a problem when the same SS is used for both male and female threads. When a dissimilar metal, or even another grade of SS, is used, galling is not a problem.

Nick Carter
10-22-2008, 03:42 PM
If the guy I bought my 140 pile-o-parts from hadn't destroyed the piston head trying to grind it off I could have used a tool like that. Great work (as always), and good to see if I get another 140 to work on. I ended up using a 101 piston head which screws together.

I started blogging my 140 rebuild on Monday (anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com)

For those that don't know, the 140 and 130 are really neat airguns that use a different (pop off) valve system than most other pump up guns.

ok the tool in the pics is for working on crosman airgun for taking apart the piston assembly on the crosman 130 140 annd many other crosman pistols and rifles , tomorow iam going to be making a reassembly tool for the pistol and rifle version piston assemblys...

macona
10-23-2008, 02:46 AM

Stainless nuts and bolts are notorious for galling up. Stainless nuts and bolt are for situations where you need corrosion resistance. Or for it to look pretty. But dont expect them to come loose every time!