PDA

View Full Version : Help wiring a 2-speed circulator fan?

gellfex
10-21-2008, 11:07 PM
I've got an ancient 18" air circulator that I pulled from the garbage decades ago that has outlasted several newer POS fans, but it's switch crumbled. I thought I'd just wire nut it together since I always switch it remotely, it ran but started smoking. What did I do? There are 3 wires, a black, blue and red. Do I need to connect all of them for full speed?

Dawai
10-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Need more information..

With a meter I could tell you..

Not being there, I suggest you find the label on the motor and find a replacement type motor and look it over for specs..

I have a multi-speed blower motor here, one line is neutral, white... has three other wires that connect seperately, do not energize them all at once.. It overheats the motor..

Blue,black, red are sometimes a external capacitor reversing motor...

gellfex
10-21-2008, 11:23 PM
I certainly could throw a ohmmeter on it, what would I be looking for? There's no capacitor, or label of any kind.

Bob Ford
10-21-2008, 11:25 PM
My guess and it is just that. Black= hot blue= low red=high. Check with a meter first, But guess connect black and red together insulate blue would get high speed. Connect black and blue insulate red low speed.

Bob

gellfex
10-22-2008, 12:10 AM
My guess and it is just that. Black= hot blue= low red=high. Check with a meter first, But guess connect black and red together insulate blue would get high speed. Connect black and blue insulate red low speed.

Bob

Connecting black to blue was what let the smoke out!