PDA

View Full Version : Identify this HSM Horz Mill?

Highspeed
10-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Anyone recognize the make/model of this little milling machine? I've done some searching of Tony's site with no correlation.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/338snyd/Pic060.jpg

thanks!
John

Ian B
10-22-2008, 01:06 AM
John,

Nice mill!

No idea what kind of machine it is, but it looks like the two overarm braces are missing (maybe you have these and they're not in the photo). All the mounting holes are there. If you don't have them, making a pair will really stiffen the machine up.

Ian

Optics Curmudgeon
10-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Looks like a Diamond mill to me. There was one on the 'Bay a few years ago.

Joe

JCHannum
10-22-2008, 07:12 AM
The Diamond mills are listed on Tony's site;

http://www.lathes.co.uk/diamond/

It doesn't resemble any of them.

There were many manufacturers of these small horizontal milling machines and they all bear a passing resemblance to each other. Some larger companies made their own, as they had the foundries and means to make them, and a mill is not too difficult to make. Unfortunately, if it does not have the makers name cast in, identification is difficult if not impossible. Even those that do have identification may have been of such low production that they cannot be identified as a known maker.

It looks like a decent machine, and I would see no reason that it would not be a worthwhile addition to the home shop.

J Tiers
10-22-2008, 07:55 AM
I've no idea, but your mill has what a number of them do NOT, which is back gears.

Some small mills are limited to high speeds, or unduly low power because they do not have back gears. You need them to get the cutter down to a reasonable speed in SFM for many steels.

With the back gears, and the overarm braces, your mill will do a lot of work, slabbing cutters, etc should be no problem.

Whenever you see a small horizontal mill in a picture, you tend to see a cutter on it that is really a wide slitting saw. You won't have to be like that!

I'd move the power switch though..... it looks in the picture almost as if it were mounted to the table, and even if that is not the case, it seems to be very much "in the way". Personally, I'd prefer a button control, with a guarded 'start" and very accessible "stop" button.

Highspeed
10-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys. I should clarify that this isn't "my mill"....yet anyway. It's a photo from an upcoming auction. As usual, it's poorly identified in the flyer as a "Cutler Hammer Horizontal Mill", which as you can see is the switch maker. Too funny.

John

lynnl
10-22-2008, 10:39 AM
"Cutler Hammer"....
I think that's the machine mfg division of Underwriter's Labratories isn't it? :D

jkilroy
10-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Is that a 5C collet in the spindle nose? THAT would be a nice feature.

Milacron of PM
10-22-2008, 06:58 PM
It would help to know where on the planet you are...which would indicate where on the planet the mill probably is, which would eliminate many possiblities. I have some literature on obscure USA made small mills from the 1940's and 50's.. but if you are in the UK for instance I probably don't have anything on it.

Highspeed
10-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Good ol USA, Mr. Milacron.

John