PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Tooling, where to buy?

Liger Zero
10-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Ok I do grind my own tooling when the grinder isn't KAPUT... however for some tasks I like using pre-made tooling on my lathe.

Problem is as I detailed on PM I don't have a car so I can't get to Horrible Freight and she isn't always in a position to drive there due to her job/hours which are wonky due to the economy.

That said, who else in the Rochester New York Region stocks lathe tooling usable for a 7X12 hobby-lathe? I'd like somewhere that does catalog order... being local they can ship quickly.

Someplace OTHER than Horror Freight. Their tooling is ok, but the store-help... not so much. Prefer to take my business elsewhere if I can.

macona
10-26-2008, 03:50 PM
What kind of tooling are you referring to? HSS bits or tooling like centers and other accessories?

HSS bits and the like can be ordered cheap from enco. They also offer some cheap carbide type tooling. Also littlemachineshop has some tooling.

If you dont have a car make it come to you.

Liger Zero
10-26-2008, 03:53 PM
That's what I'm trying to do. I was wondering if there were any supply houses in the Rochester Region, I'd rather keep my money local than send it to Enco.

And to answer your question, yes to all that. Bits AND accessories.

If there aren't any regional suppliers left around here I'll go with Little Machine Shop, the website was most helpful when I was shopping for other items back when I started out.

Scishopguy
10-26-2008, 04:01 PM
MSC used to have their home office in Long Island, NY. Not exactly local to you but still in the same state. Pretty fair prices and about anything you could want is there.

Good luck,

Liger Zero
10-26-2008, 04:28 PM
I forgot about MSC. Thanks for the tip!

macona
10-26-2008, 05:11 PM
One issue you will run into on the 7x10,12, etc, is the tailstock is a short taper. You cant really use normal MT2 tooling in there as it will bottom out. Micromark has some decent tooling for the mini-lathe.

There is also a Yahoo Group on this lathe. Way back when, there were discussions on modifying live centers to work. Some live centers have a shaft that runs down the length of the taper with a thrust bearing at the bottom.

I really recommend a little quick change for that machine. It will make it more pleasurable to use as that little 4 position post is at a height that wont allow you to use normal bits without shimming.

Liger Zero
10-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that. Sadly I'm on Unemployment at the moment so I can't afford a QC post... any money we make with the lathe goes into bits and materials, accessories will have to wait.

HOWEVER, if this guy keeps ordering modified PVC pipe-fittings at this rate I think we'll turn into a right proper Small Company.

mwechtal
10-26-2008, 08:06 PM
There used to be a decent supplier on Jefferson Rd. between Southtown Plaza, and RIT. I can't for the life of me remember the name though.

MinnesotaHSM
10-27-2008, 09:16 AM
I like to find those obscure business places by going to google maps << http://maps.google.com/ >> and typing in a category and the place and see what you get. Try "cutting tools Rochester, NY" and see you get. Very Handy.

-T

Liger Zero
10-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Cutting tool was the key phrase. I tried lathe lathe tooling lathe bits lathe inserts to no effect

Thanks for the tip.

BillH
10-27-2008, 10:38 AM
There is a supply house in Syracuse, a bit of a drive for you with the cost of gas and what not. Forget the name, but theres places all over Syracuse, whats left of the great rust belt up there.