PDA

View Full Version : Pipe connectors

ptjw7uk
10-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Just thought I would pass on this idea for making extraction hose connectors.
I have a 2" id hose from my overhead extraction for the woodworking machines and to connect to the 1 5/8" dia hose from my planner I have used plastic tape to make up the difference. I have been meaning to make something a bit more substantial for some time but couldnt find any roundtoits, but today I set too.
I tried an idea I have had in mind for some time using a polycarbonate pop bottle which I knew shrink on heating. so I began by making a former of the appropriate sizes one end for the 2" pipe and the other for the 1 5/8" pipe. I then cut the end of the pop bottle inserted the former and supplied heat from my Dewalt variable heat gun as the bottle heated up it shrank onto the former.
At first I thought it was not going to work as it looked a bit mishapen but a subsequent heating on a much higher heat setting certainly did the trick. The final connector is a bit more substantial than the pop bottle due in part to the shrinkage and it felt quite stiff.

A bit better than the plastic tape. I am not sure what the smallest diameter you could end up with but it will be very strong at smaller diameters plus polycarbonate is very strong.

peter

Peter Sanders
10-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Just thought I would pass on this idea for making extraction hose connectors.
[snip]
using a polycarbonate pop bottle which I knew shrink on heating.

peter

I didn't know that :)

That's my lesson for today :)

What did you use for a former? Metal? wood?

Thanks for the very useful tip...

Oldbrock
10-28-2008, 06:49 PM
There. the day isn't lost, I learned something new, thanks for the shrink tip. Peter