PDA

View Full Version : CK Worldwide amp control...anyone used one yet?

torker
11-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I just ordered this new gadget...wondering if anyone else has tried one?
I also ordered one of their swivel head torches. I've used them a lot and really like them but have never owned one myself.
The new "rotary hand controller"...
http://www.ckworldwide.com/amperage_controls.htm
Russ

davidh
11-02-2008, 11:00 AM
i assume this is to replace the foot pedal thereby keeping both feet firmly planted onthe floor ?

i thought the foot pedal control would be the cats a$$ but trying to balance on one foot when tiggin is a project in itself., no ?

macona
11-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I have used one and they OK. That control has been out for quite a long time.

But hand controls are not used a whole lot as far as I have seen. Most use foot controls. Sit down while tig welding or have something to lean on and you will be fine.

Hand controls are good for welding in odd positions like under a car or inside a tank where you just cant use a pedal. Problem with hand controls is it is difficult to do fine work as you move to torch when trying to adjust the current. And they add a lot of bulk to the torch handle making them less comfortable.

CK does make top quality stuff though. Another nice little item is the fuse block. Goes in between the power connection and the power lead on the water cooled torch and blows if you try to use it without turning on the water or if you have too low of flow. Saves replacing a cable!

torker
11-02-2008, 09:37 PM
I hate foot pedals. I have one. I've seldom used it. Almost every tig job i get is some weird out of position thing were a foot pedal won't work.
I've used hand controls for years. I'm not crazy about the Lincoln thumb slide. You have to move your thumb too far and it's tought to keep a steady hand.
The very best one I ever used was one that CK put out years ago. It was a small thumb wheel that moved laterally. They were problematic tho... they burned up if you pumped too much power thru them.
I was hoping CK would have a new and improved small one like that.
Ya..I'm not crazy about the bulk of this one but you are supposed to hold the torch in a different manner with this rig. I don't know..might be teachin an old dog too new of a trick ?
Russ

macona
11-03-2008, 12:12 AM
I like to hold the torch almost like a pencil so the hand controls just get in the way.

Miller has one that has a lateral thumbwheel like you had. There is no reason you couldnt use it on a lincoln machine. They all operate on the same principals. The pot is just set up as a voltage divider with one end of the pot as ground, other end at 10v and then the wiper output is what controls the output. Switch is close for start.

I think most Lincolns use a 2k pot and miller is 5k so there should be no issue.

torker
11-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Ahso...thanks for the info macona!
I hold my torch kinda different. I actually wrap my fingers around the backcap. This makes cupwalking a lot less fatiguing on the hands. Big pipe sections that are tig in and out can take several days to weld...so it's critical that your hands are relaxed. The "conventional" way of holding a torch will kill your fingers after a couple of hours.
That's why I like the CK swivel head. You need that to walk certain types of joints otherwise the cable will drag making it that much harder. Kinda like a dog tryin to wag his tail with a 10 pound rock tied to it :D
Russ

torker
12-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Can you believe it...I STILL don't have my torch yet. I gave my dealer all the part numbers etc...the woman at CK...just can't seem to get it thru her head what I want.
Finally supposed to be coming in soon.
I'm hopin for very soon.
My thumb slide finally gave up the ghost so I've been dragging a bloody foot pedal all over the shop.
What a pain in the butt.
Did a pretty complex alu frame on the bench the other day...had to jump all over for warpage control.
Moving that stupid pedal all around with me prolly added an hour to the job and added much frustration.
Hand controls are SO much faster.

davidh
12-10-2008, 09:10 AM
it appears that the orange county chopper guys use tig for everything. . i guess it take lots of practice to be good at it.

i find the tail of the torch is in the way, or the cup keeps a guy from seeing where he's trying to work. i spend lots of time cleaning the tungsten after smashing it into the work. . . . .

the torch control would at least eliminate one of the problems (one legged stance) and hopefully not create another.

torker
12-10-2008, 11:29 AM
David...this is one of the reasons I want a swivel head torch. Those things are so nice when you finally get the thing adjusted how you like it.
I've tried the flex head torches but don't like them. They can move on you when you least want it.
These swivel jobs lock into place pretty tight and you can get some pretty weird angles from them as well.