PDA

View Full Version : Maxmill motor and 3 phase converter

emj
11-05-2008, 03:32 AM
I have a 2hp induction motored 1979 Maxmill(Tai Chin Electric import) that I'm getting around to trying to get running. I have read that some import electric motors are not compatible with USA 3 phase converters because the converters are for Delta motors and imports maybe Wye?? Anyone know if it would be better to go with a larger single phase motor---say, 5hp? I have not been able to readily find a face mounted electric motor for this machine. Would a BP motor possibly fit? A lot of questions--I know. Thanks for any help, emj

Richard-TX
11-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Put a $150 VFD on it and it will work.

emj
11-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Put a $150 VFD on it and it will work.

Any recommendations on which brand to buy. I've seen some VFD's on Ebay being sold as new by Variable Frequency Drive Distributing. The ads really don't specify whether they can be used with milling machines. They have a website---http://www.vfddistributing.com/vfd-support/technical-libraries/ac-tech/scm-series.html

J Tiers
11-07-2008, 08:34 AM
I don't see any problem with delta vs wye........

We use them interchangeably and there has never been a problem and there should NOT be a problem.

There is no law that says the "wye point" is neutral, if that is what is bothering you. You can leave it floating, and in fact SHOULD leave it floating. Look at the wiring for ANY two-voltage 3-phase motor. Almost surely it will be delta for low voltage and wye for high.

The behavior of the motor is the same either way. Whatever you "heard" sounds like an urban myth, unless you haven't told us everything.

Even a cheapo trash china motor should work as well one way as the other, on panel 3 phase, RPC 3 phase, or VFD 3 phase.