PDA

View Full Version : Don't disturb my circles...

Axel
07-24-2003, 01:23 PM
....Was Archimedes last words, I've just learned. I watched a very good documentary last weekend, Archie was a faboulus fella!

But It started me thinking, what is realy the difference between a genius and someone who "just" works realy hard at something. Everything genius looks so simple! Divine even...and I'm not even religious!

Joel
07-24-2003, 06:40 PM
If you're trying really hard, the difference may be very small to an outside observer. I wouldn't want to define it simply as an expenditure of effort though. Experience is different also, but it sure helps. I think genius has an additional genetic component. Isaac Asimov was a genius by all accounts, but he couldn't change his own tire. Go figure.

merf23
07-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Tom, one of my best friends from medical school was one of maybe 2 people that I really know well, that might qualify as genius. We used to tease him that he could have been valaditorian(which he was) with one cerebral hemisphere tied behind his back. More than that, he is very well rounded and thrives on mental challenges, particularly scientific one. He definately has an inner drive to excel, but without his gifted mind, he'd just be an ordinary over-achiever...he can even change his own oil!

darryl
07-25-2003, 02:41 AM
Hmmm- maybe Isaac couldn't change his own tire because he couldn't be bothered to learn how to do it, and gave himself a negative affirmation about it. Mental suggestions are a very powerful tool in the mind.

Thrud
07-25-2003, 04:05 AM
Axel:
I have found that every person is outstanding at something. Drinking, Jokeing, Singing, seeing the funny side of things, math, Science, Baking, Farting - what ever! If you are gifted you amy even be able to tie your own shoes with out help, walk, and chew bubblegum while pondering the attrocties committed on Shellfish as food.

Does not matter what you are good at, just be the best you possibly can. That is the difference between talent and genius. This difference will drive the genius to learn more, and to look to other phenomenon that help explain their field further enriching their knowledge.

At one point in my life I had a very narrow viewpoint on the neccessity of this or that piece of knowledge in repect to what I wanted to acomplish with my life. I was forturnate to be sweptaway in a torent of change in my life (none of it welcomed, either) that in the end was the best thing that could have happened to me. Change is good, learning is better, understanding (wisdom) is what we seek ultimately.

Rant off. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

SGW
07-25-2003, 08:50 AM
And, as Will Rogers said, "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Thrud
07-26-2003, 04:35 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SGW:
And, as Will Rogers said, "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

</font>

My tour de force in ignorance is women - If I live 389,467 years I will never figure out what in hell makes them tick or pissed off. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

My cat even acts PMS'ed out... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

Evan
07-26-2003, 05:13 AM
Amen

SJorgensen
07-26-2003, 05:34 AM
The ironic twist to thruds question is that once you don't care what makes women tick or what pisses them off, it answers itself. This is also the solution. All that is old, is new. All that is new is old. You can only mess with nature so much. Better to go to the shop where all the physical laws are in balance.

Spence

Evan
07-26-2003, 12:50 PM
SJ,

Very deep.

Cass
07-26-2003, 12:58 PM
A long time ago I was working at a summer job beside an older guy and he made a comment to me about learning something totally different from his normal blue collar type livelyhood. The line I remember was something like "Lean everything you can about everything; you know, it ain't heavy to carry around." That made a big impression on me. I have had a lot of smart people, engineers, physicists, business types working for me who seemed to have a fear of getting outside some narrow specialty they have identified themselves with. A very smart and hardworking electrical engineer with vast experience in automatic control systems started with me at a new company one time and with just the two of us in a new department we had to do a lot of jobs. One day I asked him to clean some fancy optical parts. He had to figure out what to do, find the equipment and chemicals get protective gear as required and do the job. I was impressed when he fearfully said he didn't know how to do that and had no experience. My comment was that he could no longer stay in his small special box and that he had to do anything and everything that needed doing and that he had to do it right the first time. He was a prisoner of his on view of himself up to that point. A few more applications of shock logic and he was transformed. Calculate the defraction limited spot size of a complex optical system and program a CNC computer program to correct a tenth order polynomial surface and then go take up that commode in the head and put a new wax seal under it and it better not leak when you finish. I hunt for people with a wide bandwidth of capability and confidence.

Axel
07-26-2003, 01:48 PM
I saw Bo Diddley on tv once, they asked him how someone could learn to play like him, and he replied: -learn a little of eveything and you get your own style!

Considering his own music he must know alot!!

SJorgensen
07-26-2003, 03:47 PM
Evan,
You like that! Heck I've got a dozen of em' Hell, come about 3:00 in the morning I do some of my wittiest work! Good thing there is a spelling checker though, or even I wouldn't know what I said!

Spence

Thrud
07-26-2003, 04:05 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SJorgensen:
...Better to go to the shop where all the physical laws are in balance.

Spence</font>

I have said it before, and I say it again: "Tools don't talk back" - but they do whisper sweet nothings all day long.... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif