PDA

View Full Version : HF Grinder (again)

gr8life
11-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Has anyone replaced the wheels on the 6" HF tool & carbide grinder with wheels to grind HSS tool bits? If you have with what & from who? This subject has me confused, but then again confusion is a normal state of mind for me when it comes to grinding wheels & saw blades.
thanks
ed

smiller6912
11-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Check here http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=31222 see if that is what you are looking for.

Highpower
11-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Here is another thread http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=25295&highlight=grinder that is worth looking at. It appears that lazlo knows these things inside out. :D

I recently fit a pair of white AO wheels to my grinder, and it took some effort to do so. One wheel from KBC tools (45 grit) I had to open up the mounting holes a bit, since the bolt circle on the wheel plate didn't match up real well to the wheel plates on the machine. It also wobbled quite a bit and vibrates. I dressed the face and OD of the wheel which helped, but it appears that the ID of the wheel is not centered on the plate, and still throws it out of balance. Not going to put any more effort into that one.

The other wheel I got from MSC is a Norton 80 grit wheel. ($100+)
That one mounted squarely without any wobble, however it was quite a bit oversize on the OD (6-3/16") and would not fit inside the wheel guard on my machine. Milling out the guard was out of the question as it would have cut completely through. Soooo.... I was forced to trim the excess from the plate and OD of the wheel itself. Nothing like cutting 1/4" off of a new grinding wheel before you can use it.... :mad:

Your mileage may vary. :rolleyes:

Now I need to come up with some new shoulder screws that have actual hex sockets instead of multiple sized rounded divots. {sigh}

dp
11-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Anyone know of a site that has all these useful tips aggregated? If not I may do it myself.

JRouche
11-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Anyone know of a site that has all these useful tips aggregated? If not I may do it myself.

Yeah, sounds like a good write up.. JR

gr8life
11-09-2008, 11:59 PM
I guess I was having a bad dream when I posted this. What I was hoping for was a reply like Yes I replaced them with AO wheels that I got from Enco, MSC, Mc Master or the man in the moon.
But thanks for the help. I got a good lead on the phone today, if it works I will post.
thanks
ed

dp
11-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Maybe the guy who has done what you suggest hasn't seen your question yet, Ed.

gr8life
11-10-2008, 12:50 AM
dp with 2400 posts you must know everyone on here. It is late but call that guy tomorrow and have him post an answer before I go buy one of these grinders. This will save me from collecting on my mental health insurance.
ed

JRouche
11-10-2008, 01:07 AM
I guess I was having a bad dream when I posted this. What I was hoping for was a reply like Yes I replaced them with AO wheels that I got from Enco, MSC, Mc Master or the man in the moon.
But thanks for the help. I got a good lead on the phone today, if it works I will post.
thanks
ed

Hey Ed. Sorry. I just assumed the links that were posted had the answers. I didnt look at them. There has been so much talk here about the grinders I just thought one of those links would have answered yer Q. They are great grinders, cant beat the price..

And back to your Q. I have replaced the wheels with some wheels from MSC, I think Norton. One white and one green. I mostly got the white (aluminum oxide) to contour the shank of brazed carbide tool bits. Didnt wanna chew up the green wheel grinding the steel down. And yeah, it works great. No chatter, smooth as can be. Should work fine for HSS bits. Whats nice is you can go two diff grits to get that nice sharp edge. On for hogging and the other for fine tuning...

Dont hesitate for worries of usability. They are pretty good grinders.. JR

dp
11-10-2008, 01:08 AM
dp with 2400 posts you must know everyone on here. It is late but call that guy tomorrow and have him post an answer before I go buy one of these grinders. This will save me from collecting on my mental health insurance.
ed

You bet - no problem. Anything else you need while I'm up? How's your beer? More popcorn?

Norman Atkinson
11-10-2008, 03:06 AM
This question continues to pop up. There must be no doubt that experienced(?) contributors have rung warning bells about these tools. The result is a sniping match for what is information given freely.

I was going through my collection of articles on model engineering and came across numerous articles about how Joe Soap and Fred Smith had had to alter the cheap and very nasty imported grinders to make them --- safer!

There has to be no doubt in anyone's mind about the risks run. The Health and Safety people in the UK are pretty snotty about the whole panjandrum.

As an amateur, I have pulled a number of 6" Double ended grinders apart. What has been written about such as the quality of the wheels was quite valid. I found a cracked wheel. I found a bent spindle. I found a pressed mounting flange with a chunk out.

I also found a scrap bin! You should be able to supply the happy ending.

Isn't it time that questions on what is a pretty dangerous topic were addressed to those who are making a profit- and not to a more kindly bunch of people who are not even getting a word of thanks for their efforts?

Gentlemen, your experience is NOT being appreciated.
The cheap sh1tes are taking over- and using you, meantime.

Norm

As an afterthought, I Googled the price of an HF 6" Grinder.

For us Brits, that is less than half a tank of gas($39.99 or 25)
Do we start a charity for HSM 's distressed?

Circlip
11-10-2008, 05:04 AM
OOOPs' there goes a milllion Kw dam. Norm, you can only advise, it only strikes home when you've actually SEEN a wheel burst. Hopefully you're not close enough for it to chuck bits into yer bl**din 'ed.
Regards Ian.

lazlo
11-10-2008, 10:50 AM

Ed, this question comes up about once a month, hence Dennis' comment about adding it to a FAQ.

If you read the links that were posted, we posted the part numbers for the AO wheel at J&L Industrial and KBC Tools for the Type 35 metal-backed AO wheel that fits the Harbor Freight grinder. As I describe in the second link, I'm using the J&L wheel, and it works great.

dan s
11-10-2008, 11:02 AM
As an afterthought, I Googled the price of an HF 6" Grinder.

For us Brits, that is less than half a tank of gas($39.99 or 25)
Do we start a charity for HSM 's distressed?
If your going to be an a** (how I read your post) at least get your facts strait.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46727

$159.99 = 101.42

Norman Atkinson
11-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Au Contraire- I did find a 6" DE grinder for the price I showed.

For' the American Aid Fund', The rests could have happily been made from best softwood!

It would still have been sh1te and equally dangerous.
Ian was absolutely right in confirming my words of caution about explosions from untrained operatives literally putting themselves - and innocent bystanders in peril!

One asks the million dollar question of who is actually qualified to answer.

Let's stop this charade of so called experts chucking in their pennyworth.

My regards

Norm

Jim Hubbell
11-10-2008, 06:39 PM
The two AO wheels I purchased came to almost the same cost as the grinder itself. One from MSC.
After a balance job they run fine.

http://picasaweb.google.com/shopm8/Mach#

Jim

gr8life
11-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Well I got in the car and drove to Horror Freight with a list of 5 items, among them the grinder in question. As I am sure many of you know there are 2 inventory systems LIFO last in first out & FIFO first in first out. These are the 2 systems used in accounting in the U.S. Horror Freight & a few others have 2 other systems. FISH first in still here and OSWO oh s#$t we're out. Nothing, not one out of 5 items. They were unpacking a semi (that's a lorry for you on the other side of the pond) so in all probability by the time I get back on Sat. they will be OSWO.
ED

dp
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Risking a tonsorial assault from Jolly Old...

Are the green wheels that come with the HF grinder useful for anything at all? If not I may use them for abusive grinding projects from time to time.

lazlo
11-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Are the green wheels that come with the HF grinder useful for anything at all?

No.

I have 2 brand new ones for the price of shipping if anyone wants them. They're some kind of white concrete-like material that's been painted green.

dp
11-11-2008, 09:27 PM
No.

I have 2 brand new ones for the price of shipping if anyone wants them. They're some kind of white concrete-like material that's been painted green.

I was thinking they were residue from building the three gorges dam.

BillH
11-11-2008, 09:28 PM
I also have the white J&L wheels. Should of just bought a nice 6" bench grinder with decent tables...

Highpower
11-11-2008, 09:49 PM
As I describe in the second link, I'm using the J&L wheel, and it works great.
lazlo: I'm assuming that the J&L part (ala Norton) fit without any needed modification or balance problems - yes? I think I will go with those for any future replacements vs. the KBC import wheel I have now for roughing. Live and learn.

I gave in and ordered one of the Enco diamond wheels as well. I'll be better equipped for doing carbide bits anyway, even though my main goal was geared more toward HSS. :o

lazlo
11-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Yes, the J&L AO wheel fit right on with just about with no fuss.

The mounting hub is a little tight, but mine went on no problem.