PDA

View Full Version : A strange injury..

torker
11-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Well I think so..
I froze the last inch of my right index finger. It's sore as hell now. I can't touch anything with it as I get a screechin pain shooting up my arm. Very handy :D
This was so stupid...
I welded up a cracked diesel fuel tank for a guy. Finished it late. I wanted to prime it for him so he could paint it the next day.
Didn't want to fool around with washing guns etc that time of the night so i used a rattle can to spray some primer on it. It took more than I thought. The nozzle on the new can wasn't spraying right and the paint was hittin my finger tip.
It was pretty cold out when i was painting this and I didn't notice that my finger tip was slowly freezing. You can't feel this you know.... my hands where really cold already.
After I was done I cleaned the paint off my fingers with thinner and noticed the lack of feeling in the my finger. Thought it was just from pressing down on the nozzle so hard.
An hour later I found out why...the frost started coming out and oh man! Did it burn. Got a funny looking black spot now...and a damn sore finger.
Who'da thunk :)
Russ

crancshafter
11-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Well I think so..
I froze the last inch of my right index finger. It's sore as hell now. I can't touch anything with it as I get a screechin pain shooting up my arm. Very handy :D
This was so stupid...
I welded up a cracked diesel fuel tank for a guy. Finished it late. I wanted to prime it for him so he could paint it the next day.
Didn't want to fool around with washing guns etc that time of the night so i used a rattle can to spray some primer on it. It took more than I thought. The nozzle on the new can wasn't spraying right and the paint was hittin my finger tip.
It was pretty cold out when i was painting this and I didn't notice that my finger tip was slowly freezing. You can't feel this you know.... my hands where really cold already.
After I was done I cleaned the paint off my fingers with thinner and noticed the lack of feeling in the my finger. Thought it was just from pressing down on the nozzle so hard.
An hour later I found out why...the frost started coming out and oh man! Did it burn. Got a funny looking black spot now...and a damn sore finger.
Who'da thunk :)
Russ

Russ
thats hurting:eek: I know that from my own mistake. Russ that black spot on your finger is dead meat:eek: ,my advice, take a trip to your local medicineman.

Regards
CS

lazlo
11-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah, what CS said -- you gave yourself frost-bite :eek:

You really need to get that looked at Russ...

A.K. Boomer
11-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Put a bunch of leaches on the dark spot (or some kind of vacuum apparatus) -- Im serious, you need to get new blood to the area fast or its all gone...

You could be looking at GG if your not careful.

Bob Ford
11-07-2008, 09:45 AM
OWW

Glad I am living in a area where we almost never see that white stuff. Doctor for sure.

Bob

Dawai
11-07-2008, 10:05 AM
As a victim of frostbite in the 70s.. I can tell you it will never be much better, but without proper immediate treatment it might be amputated..

Freezing destroys capillaries and vessels in the skin. Soaking them immdiately in Warm water, not hot.. will start blood flow as soon as possible.. It hurts like heck.. then the froze part swells up and gets ugly red like a burn..

I still have trouble, I can not feel as much with my fingers as I did before.. nor since.. probably never more..

Mine was chasing my "woman" driving my hotrod with my gloves on the dash, she thought it was cute to OUTRUN me.. I was trying to catch her cause my hands were so cold they were quitting working on the controls of the bike.

Norman Atkinson
11-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Russ, you have severe frostbite.
I may be a Limey Bastard but you had a low temperature and then the can of paint had the further Latent Heat of Evaporation.

You must now seek immediate medical attention.

Have you ever heard of Gangrene?

Norm

dan s
11-07-2008, 11:44 AM
As others have said get your butt to the ER now.

BillH
11-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Amphibians can freeze, mammals cannot. The cells in our body, when they freeze, they burst, they can not let the water out of them quick enough like an Amphibian can. This whole business about freezing ones self to be revived later in life is a bunch of bull**** unless they have a way of turning frozen cellular goo back into a structured cellular organism.
Your finger tip is that cellular goo. :(

Oldbrock
11-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Russ. Hope you have been to the sawbones already that sounds serious. Presume it's the index finger on your right hand, the most used and needed. Let us know how you get on. Peter

winchman
11-07-2008, 01:12 PM
The bummer part is that the paint probably won't adhere worth a flip at that low a temperature.

Hope you haven't hurt yourself too badly.

Roger

dp
11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
https://www.purdue.edu/push/pages/moreinfo/homepage/frostbite.shtml

Hopefully the blackened area is small enough that a simple graft will be the worst of it.

Evan
11-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Fingertips have the ability to regenerate even in adults. But, only if the dead tissue is removed to allow the new tissue to form. They will use dermabrasion to grind off the dead meat and new tissue will take it's place. I have a friend that sliced off about half an inch of the tip of his finger and it all grew back with that treatment.

See your doctor ASAP.

Thomas Staubo
11-07-2008, 02:46 PM
If the finger tip must be amputated (hope not), sprinkle some pigs bladder extract on the end of the finger, at will grow back soon.

Red more here. (http://health.howstuffworks.com/extracellular-matrix.htm)

You do have pigs bladder extract lying around, dontcha?;)

Norman Atkinson
11-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Old English song- for Thomas?

'You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses

And the little pig got up and slowly walked away.

Jim Caudill
11-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Torker is probably too busy right now to keep us updated, but I can't imagine the area that is affected being too large. A couple of years ago we were adopted by a white cat that was obviously abandoned. We brought him in and discovered the paw pads were cracked, bleeding and frostbit. The vet had to put the cat under to work on the paws, but pretty much did as Evan said. Seems like they were bandaged up for less than a week, then began to get well. The cat now has pretty, pink "beans" on his paws and seems no worse for the experience.

Those who suggested gangrene as an untreated consequence are correct, vet said it was a possibility for the cat as well. IIRC an antibiotic shot was given as part of the treatment.

Norman Atkinson
11-07-2008, 03:56 PM
It's almost Remembrance Sunday and time to recall past events.

Before I put pen to paper I was thinking of Professor Archie McIndoe and the Guinea Pig Club( sorry Thomas, but I was fooling).

You see, I owe my left hand to one of the surgeons who was going the next day to East Grinstead where it all started,

Again, I was thinking of Riiser Larsen's side kick who survived Dachau treating the inmates like himself.

Again, I helped to form a Mountain Rescue Team those many years ago and I was thinking of Maurice Hertzog after his frost bitten climb on Annapurna in '50.

For those with firm stomachs, the stories are still there.

Minus 32C can be ----interesting!

Norm

Dawai
11-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I kinda guess Russ comes from a long line of single finger typists?

perhaps his huntin-key-pecker is out of order...

Ya know I tried that "dragon natural speak" to type my forum letters.. but the Southern drawl, *spit tebaccer, English confused the darned program so bad it would not type anything but question marks. It jus couldn't understand what I was sayin.

rotate
11-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Torker,

Whatever you do, don't let the doctor remove any of the dead flesh. Many of the mountaineers who get frostbite are no longer treated but left alone for the body to heal by itself.

Dragons_fire
11-07-2008, 07:34 PM
are you sure the black spot is not just paint???

torker
11-07-2008, 07:56 PM
LOL..Don't get excited...it's WAS just a small spot and it wasn't paint. The paint was grey. anyway..I chewed the sukker off. Now it REALLY is tender but the dead stuff is gone. Dang, I can't believe how many times a person bumps stuff with the end of their fingers. I got a bandage "bump stop" put on it now.
Ya...the primer prolly won't stick too good. Knowing him...he'll put enough paint on it to hold the primer on.. :D
Russ

Dawai
11-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I've heard of Coyotes doing that when caught in a trap..

Glad to know your key-huntin-pecker-finger is still attached.. (snicker)...

rustyswarf
11-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Torker: Get to a doctor ASAP. If it has turned black, you have a serious case of frostbite, the kind doctors do amputations for. Also, you don't want this to become gangrenous, because you have lost circulation in that appendage, and it is dying or dead. Sorry about your accident, but you need to see a doctor.

dp
11-09-2008, 02:01 PM
The black skin was gangrene. It happens pretty fast. Once it was chewed off the next layer, and apparently there was one, will fill in. If the next layer were gone there'd just be a hole there forever or until a graft covered it or sutures pulled it closed. It's one of the worst places to have a hole leading to your body's interior as fingers are subject to the worst the day to day world offers.

oldtiffie
11-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Perhaps - as some - including Russ - feared, that he has some dead black skin etc. on the end of his pecker, its no wonder he was worried.

Perhaps all he needed was to be circumcised ("ring-barked" here in OZ), but as long as it doesn't turn into an amputation he should be OK.

As Dennis says:

It's one of the worst places to have a hole leading to your body's interior as fingers are subject to the worst the day to day world offers.

Well, it (the finger??) may be "one of the worst places ........... " but I'd bet that your "pecker" - which DOES have "a hole leading to your body's interior" would be more of a worry!!

But with a paint spray? Oh come on!!

I am just trying to imagine your attitude if it is done under local anesthetic and you are awake and seeing it with it numb!!

There must be some strange goings on in workshops in wildest Canada on those "dark and stormy nights".

My imagination is killing me!!!

I hope it works OK.

See this - note the first definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecker

drof34
11-09-2008, 07:36 PM
All he needs to do is soak it in cider for a while but he will probably have to let it thaw before that can happen.:D

JRouche
11-09-2008, 08:16 PM
It will grow back. And it sounds like a tiny spot. I routered the tip off my finger off in high school. It has grown back. The nail though still has a receded bed. Fingers are a trip. Like lizards tails :) Just try to get rid of your finger prints. LOL Dont ask :) JR

oldtiffie
11-10-2008, 02:31 AM
All he needs to do is soak it in cider for a while but he will probably have to let it thaw before that can happen.:D

Hmmm.

Very clever - nearly got under the radar.

"in cider" = "inside 'er"??

"thaw" what (or whom??)

"thaw" = "sore"?

You wish.

Dream on!!

Do frigid women get gangrene? Or does it just seem like that? If not - why not?

In that case - DON'T soak it in cider as suggested.

torker
11-10-2008, 07:08 AM
LOL! I doubt she woulda let any soaking in cider... :D
Stupid thing is slowly healing up but what a pain in the butt this turned out to be....well not in the butt I guess.
I'm wishing now that I'd taken the time to use my spray gun.
The amount I ended up spraying was far more than I would normally do with a rattle can anyway.
Never to old to be taught a lesson...

Your Old Dog
11-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Remember those old stories about letting a dog lick your wounds to make it heal faster? Don't know if that's just before of just after he's finished licking his arse.

Bring the same question to my mind. Do you chew off the dead meat before or after you sterilized your mouth? My old man was like you, used to pack cuts on his hands with cement while a stone setter. Had fingers like war clubs. If you don't want to have it looked at properly, it might not be a bad idea to get some potent antiseptic on it. Just out of curiosity, what were you nibbling on just prior to doing nibble surgery on your womb?

Greg Parent
11-10-2008, 09:43 AM
When I was about 10 I lost a piece of my earlobe to frostbite. My friends and I were playing street hockey after school and I was not wearing my hat. You dont feel it when it freezes but you really feel it when it thaws out. Mine went black, dried out and fell off. Mom was pissed that I did not listen to her and wear my hat. I now have a reminder to listen to me mum.

torker
11-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Stupid thing is FINALLY healing up. What a pain in the butt. Yesterday the whole end of my finger sorta peeled off. A whole thick layer of hard sorta caloused skin.
Geez.. I'm sure nice and pink in the new spots :D
Such a dumb thing...such a PITA!!! I don't recommend this to anyone.
Russ

Dawai
11-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Worst infection I ever had came from a chipped off tooth in the back of my hand. Hand looked like a foot.. a ugly one.

There is a name for that type of infection, I forgot it. Formatted that part of my brain I guess.

ANyone know why stainless leaves such a sore spot? I know Doctors use it for surgery.. but working with sheet and getting nicked, it seems to always take a week to close up and heal.

garyphansen
11-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Dave, did that tooth come from a bar fight or a biker fight? Sounds like you ended up losing the fight even if you though you were the winner! Gary P. Hansen

plastikosmd
11-25-2008, 04:29 PM
dunno bout the south, but up here in the north we just call it a 'fight bite'
can be nasty, often have to take them to the OR for a washout

Carld
11-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Lots of hydrogen peroxide and a brush will clean it out.:eek:

oldtiffie
11-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Go easy on the peroxide Russ, or else you will be the "Blonde Bimbo (Bomb-shell?)" of the HSM-ers. If that happens, you may well discover that it will be more than just a drilled hole that gets tapped or screwed.

Next time - use the "soak in cider" method - aka "Hair paultice".

Walter
11-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Remember those old stories about letting a dog lick your wounds to make it heal faster? Don't know if that's just before of just after he's finished licking his arse.

Bring the same question to my mind. Do you chew off the dead meat before or after you sterilized your mouth? My old man was like you, used to pack cuts on his hands with cement while a stone setter. Had fingers like war clubs. If you don't want to have it looked at properly, it might not be a bad idea to get some potent antiseptic on it. Just out of curiosity, what were you nibbling on just prior to doing nibble surgery on your womb?

Womb.... There's a comment or two to be made, but I ain't a gonna make it.

Norman Atkinson
11-25-2008, 05:07 PM
On PM, my good friend George Wilson has been propounding about old fashioned ways of tempering steel and other such activities by--- urinating! Not that George has adopted such measures.

I sort of come in- years before penicillin and that sort of malarkey. Boils were boils- and occurred in funny places.
Again, all sorts of herbal remedies abounded and so on.

I got boils like everyone else- but never tried the then recommended treatment of putting a poultice of human excrement on the spot to draw the pus.

Just an idea, Russ, just an idea!

Norm

oldtiffie
11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Will you be doing that "drawing" by "sketch" or CAD Norm?

Lottsa drawings I've seen - mine included - are nothing but a POS anyway.

On PM, my good friend George Wilson has been propounding about old fashioned ways of tempering steel and other such activities by--- urinating! Not that George has adopted such measures.

That is NOT new Norm. When I was a second year Apprentice, doing "Heat Treatment and Metallurgy" and "Black-smithing" etc. at the local Technical College (1953), the Instructor/College had a text book (old then) that quite clearly said that some sort of "quenching" process (I forget which) required the use of "the urine of a red-headed boy" We had two red-heads in the class - I will leave the rest to your imagination. I suspect it was for "tempering" or "nitriding". (Apprentices were VERY intemperate).

Norman Atkinson
11-26-2008, 03:47 AM
Mick, me old son! As I have no CAD, I assume that things will have to be done- by hand.( Do these people get the jokes? I sometimes wonder)

Red haired boys? Quite new to me. With my limited metal- lurgie, I would thank you for making me 'privvy' to this new insight into the habits of the Temperance Seven.

With the name 'Atkinson' I always got 'Acker' at school.
What was Acker Bilk's real name?

Exits to my wife- a redhead's throrough dislike of 'Stranger on the Shore'

Rondo a la Turque- would do for a 'start'

Err

Norm

Dawai
11-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Could we get a translator in here?

One for the Norm to the Kings proper english? Or is that Queens?

One fer the Hillbilly Gawgia translation?

AHH don't know about tempering no metal wid no redheaded pee, but if you find a bear's claw Rake marks on a tree, you pee on them, then the bear is hunting "YOU".

Norman Atkinson
11-26-2008, 12:29 PM
David,
You get worse! Fancy pee-ing on a tree.
Up here in the backwoods of Newcastle, the tree could fall on you - but no bears.

Now the 'Aviemoron' bit, we have a Highland Wildlife Park in Kingussie which is 'kin-use- ee' and not King Gussie.
Got real live wolves there and wildcats which would claw your testimonials off. No bears- sorry!

So this sh1t thing! I am assured that the old biddies recommended such things to pull the crap- sorry, pus out.

I do apologise by reckless punning with Mick. Yer gotta take it, fella- if you sling it. It's Brit thing. Mebbe, you lot dropped it over the side on the Mayflower!

What gives- anyways about this Blue Lodge thing?
I've got it taped. Joined the Chinese 'lot' up here- in the Red Lot and get invites into their Blue lot.
Great-- we get Chinese banquets with 15 and more courses. Cost-- well, let's say the 'boss man' is one of us.

Now, David, let's not argy bargy about English.
It's Malcolm that talks funny. I only write funny.

Sorry M but well, what the 7734( upside down)

Cheers- grovel, grovel

Norm