PDA

View Full Version : books

doug
01-16-2002, 09:43 AM
what are the best books out there?

kap pullen
01-16-2002, 09:52 AM
War & Peace,The Longest Day, Exodus,Gone With The Wind, And The Call Of The Wild.

Hope This Helps

Kapullen
(chuckel, Chuckel)

SGW
01-16-2002, 06:05 PM
For metalworking books, I really like:
"The Amateur's Lathe" by L.H. Sparey
"The Design and Use of Cutting Tools" by Leo J. St.Clair
"Machinery's Handbook," of course
Early issues of "Model Engineer" magazine
Almost anything by George H. Thomas
Almost anything by Edgar T. Westbury
...and probably a lot more.

Otherwise, how about:
"Roughing It" and "Following the Equator" by Mark Twain
"Satchmo" by Louis Armstrong
"The Discoverers" by Daniel Boorstein
"Why Our Drug Laws Have Failed and What We Can Do About It," by Judge James P. Gray

Thrud
01-17-2002, 01:33 AM
Sandvik Coromant's "Modern Metal Cutting"
US Steel's "Making and Shaping or Steel"
Machinery's handbook LARGE PRINT (for us old farts)
Oxford English Dictionary compact ed.
James Joyce "Ulysses"
"Decline & Fall of the Roman Empire" - J.B. Bury ed.
Winston Churhill - Chatswell Ed. "The Second World War"
John Uri Lloyd - "Etidorpha"
Shakespeare's Hamlet
And I concur with Kap and sgw's lists
"Groo" comics (warped)
Ralph Snart - C.P.A. comics (twisted)
Anything by George Carlin

Dave
Almost forgot:
Eric Partridge - "A dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English" - 8th ed.
The reference work for cussin' that would make a pro blush!

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 01-17-2002).]

halfnut
01-17-2002, 11:31 AM
Machine shop books, anything by Colvin and Stanley.

Old Audel's, many subjects.

I have been collecting Sir Walter Scott, Waverly novels. Much good reading on famous characters of yore.

Have thoroughly enjoyed a recent movie loosely based upon a famous book, Homer's Odysessy, O' Brother Where Art Thou. It's a hoot.

Morals and Dogma by Pike.

Sir Aurthur C. Doyle wrote several books besides his Holmes series, such as White Company.

Etc.

George Hodge
01-17-2002, 09:07 PM
Doug,old 'Shop Notes'book are neat if you can find them. Mark Twain's books make you think. All the metalworking magazines,when you can find them! Or afford them! Tony Hillerman's mysteries are good. O.Henry wrote some good books. Any of the Popular Science,Popular Mechanics,Mechanix Illustrated,etc are good,if you go back 30 or 40 yrs.

spope14
01-17-2002, 09:21 PM
Old Audels

Machine Tool Practices - Prentice Press. I have checked out probably 20 machining text books, this one is very comprehensive and well versed in methodology, safety, and contains information that can only otherwise be found in the old machinist's toolboxes.

Machinery's Handbook - a must for any real machinist reference information. The thread diameters and specs section is my bible for threading specs.

The Longest Day is also good,
All the Presidents Men
Ball Four - Jim Bouton
Centennial

ponderingjunkman
01-17-2002, 09:37 PM
I'll second Halfnut's reference to Colvin and Stanley, also the old audel's books- especially if you ever need to design your own rope drive system for your water- powered shop! Any book that solves your current problem is the best at the moment. Lets all not forget the finest book ever to be printed: God's Holy Bible!! After looking at the previous replies, my wife says that there are a lot of cool tool makers out there! She says to include Guy Lautard's bedside readers as well- despite all the times she falls asleep while I read them!!

Thrud
01-18-2002, 02:39 AM
I too second Guy Lautard's books - can't believe I missed his. Guy, i apologise for neglecting to mention a fellow hoser!

Dave

kap pullen
01-19-2002, 12:15 PM
Favorates,

Shop,shed, and road-
Curley Lawrence
Miniature Locomotive Construction-
Martin Evans
So Tou Want To Build A Live Steam Locomotive
Nelson

Maryland And Pennsylvania Rail Road
Northern Central Railroad
History of the B and O.

I check out the old main lines of these roads on my mountain bike sprong and summer.
We have some stone bridges dating from the dawn of railroading. Some of the origional stone "sleepers" are still in place near Ellicot City Md.

Reprinted Model Engineer Mag.

Its always fun to look at the work of others in Model Engineer, Live Steam, HSM, MR, RMC, And all the other mags.

Just don't find enough time.

We got snow in Balmer (Baltimore) today hon.

See ya Kapullen
The outadaloopmachinist.

Chester
01-19-2002, 12:30 PM
For anyone that's interested............Some of those Pop. Mech. Shop Notes have been republished. See www.leevalley.com (http://www.leevalley.com)

JCHannum
01-19-2002, 01:14 PM
Include the Brownell Kinks series too. Lots of gunsmith stuff, but also much that applies to general machining. Great jokes and tips on running a small business. More than you might expect.

Thrud
01-20-2002, 07:21 AM
Chester:
It seems Leonard Lee plans on re-publishing a whole lot more of them every year. I agree - nifty reading.

Dave

hms50
01-21-2002, 09:56 AM
Doug,
I would highly recomend The shop Wisdom of Frank McLean, published by Village Press. This book starts up where South Bend's How to Run a Lathe leaves off and includes a lot of general shop information. This is a compilation of Frank's articles from HSM. I think I learned somthing from everyone of his articles!
hms50