PDA

View Full Version : Music?( loosely related to machining)

wierdscience
07-24-2003, 01:00 AM
In order for me to better understand my fellow brethern on this bbs,I was wondering what kind of music all of us listen to,and what kind during which activites?

I range from Beethoven's moonlight to ZZtop,classical when reading and rock when welding/driving,howbout you guys?

darryl
07-24-2003, 02:15 AM
I don't like rap, or heavy metal. Other than that, I listen to all of it. Sometimes nothing beats good old rock and roll, sometimes I like to listen to folk music. I can sit and play a rock song, then a folk song, then some classical, then a hard driving rock tune, it doesn't matter. I quite often listen to the radio when I'm in the workshop since I don't have to attend to it. If I hear a song I like, I'll maybe stop and listen to it, but then it's back to the project, and the music is not playing loud enough to hear when a machine is running. I'm listening to Gordon Lightfoot as I type this.

Forrest Addy
07-24-2003, 03:05 AM
I love music but for all my life it distracted me from what I was supposed to be doing and made me resentful of the machinery noise. I'm flakey enough without it. My shop is devoted to munic OR makin' stuff.

To add major insult, my hearing is going to pot and I can no longer enjoy music as I used to. Mozart and mellow country still wears well but R&R and anything with heavy percussion is torture. And it has to be within a certain volume or either I can't hear it well or the loud passages sound gritty and gravely.

I can't even sing for real unless I'm in line of sight of my accompanist. I hate it. I want my high accuity precision hearing back.

Silent Shop. Like Rachel Carlson's Silent Spring.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 07-24-2003).]

shorty
07-24-2003, 03:18 AM
Van Halen, Bad Company, Jim Croce, simon and garfunkel, Extreme, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Eagles, Guardian, Skillet......Anything that's in tune, in key and in time......I've was a full time musician for 12 years, Now I'm a millwright, welder and a firm believer in that music DOES make the world go around......after hearing three big bad biker dudes singing Eagles tunes at a house party at 4:00 a.m. and jamming at the southern Alberta Tusker bike rally how could I not believe!!!!!!

Randolph
07-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Classical music, Country and Western if it is the good old stuff and piano music of all kinds. Especially ragtime. Used to go to the Old Time Piano Playing Contest in Decatur, Illinois on Memorial Day weekends.

Evan
07-24-2003, 12:14 PM
The crisp bacon frying sound of a perfectly working parting tool is music to my ears.

mayfieldtm
07-24-2003, 12:26 PM
I like quiet.
I don't like any kind of music and never did.
Really.
Is that weird or what?
Tom M.

metal mite
07-24-2003, 01:01 PM
a-men
wierdscience, you,re wierd.
Right wing radio for me.
mite

STAN
07-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Richard Thompson to The Ramones to Hank Sr to both Elvis's to Dylan to the Blasters to NRBQ to Ry Cooter to Vivaldi. Always have something going.

Doc Nickel
07-24-2003, 04:35 PM
I have to have my music, or it doesn't "seem" right in there. Also, for those really creative days, I need something loud to drown out my overactive, overspilling subconscious so I can concentrate on the task at hand, and not be distracted on other ideas, notepads, research books or whiteboards (http://www.the-whiteboard.com/index.html).

I have a laptop and an older desktop networked with the house PCs, through which I run a metric boatload of MP3s (largely copied from CDs I own, in case you're wondering) through an old Sanyo receiver/amplifier which in turn runs six speakers.

Some days it's a quiet bit of Mozart's Requiem, though the usual fare is current Chevelle, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, POD, Papa Roach, Tool and KMFDM. For those heavy days- that sounds like a commercial- it'll be up loud enough the aluminum in the stockracks buzzes and the door on the Logan cabinet claps.

That's not bragging- it's what I have to do otherwise it's hard for me to concentrate on just one project.

Doc.

STAN
07-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Doc- Sounds like ADD to me.

L Webb
07-24-2003, 07:51 PM
We have a radio playing in the background in the shop all the time.
When I am out there it usually is on a country station.
When the other half is out there it gets switched to jazz.
It's kind of hard to listen to when you have earplugs in and are running a punch press. Actually, you can't hear it with any machine running.

Les

gunsmith
07-24-2003, 10:13 PM
My shop is never without music. Best therapy in the world to calm and promote consentration. My choice is Meat Loaf, Paul Simon, Cirque Du Soleil and Andrea Bocelli along with Willey Nelson just to confuse the customers.

Dave Opincarne
07-25-2003, 01:02 AM
NPR (inteligent talk radio http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif) during the days, Dave Mathews, James McMurtrey, Paper Boys, and LOTS of Jimmy Buffet!

-Dave

Techtchr
07-25-2003, 01:04 AM
Don't listen to music while doing stuff like milling and turning. I like to hear what the machines are doing. To relax, I listen to James Taylor, Stones, ZZ top, and I must admit that I like many of my 14 year old daughter's CDs as long as they aren't Rap. My wife and I also play Flute in the community band...really flute, I'm not joking...we sat next to each other in band since the 5th grade http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif21 years together last thursday. Music with my wife is the best kind http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif Oh yea, band plays mostly classical, pops stuff and marches. Very good community band. We play every Friday in Skaneateles,NY. Come on Down!
Matt

Thrud
07-25-2003, 02:17 AM
I ahve about 1500 cd's and it ranges from Wailing Willie (the little prick) to Mike Oldfield, Enigma, Ray Charles, Chubby Checker, Leona Boyd, Manheim Steamroller, Red Sovine, Madonna (the slutty songs), Holst, Mozart, Bach, P.D.Q. Bach, Andreas Vollenwieder (electric Harp!), The stones, Jeff Beck, Allan Parson Project, Billy Vera & The Beaters, David Byrne, Delerium, Terance Trent D'Arby, Dire Straits, Placido Domingo, Annie Lennox (AKA Eurythmics), Jeff Foxsworthy, George Carlin, Cheech & Chong, Phillip Glass, Dave Grusin, Miles Davis, Talking Heads, Frank Zappa, Sly & Robbie, blah, blah, blah.

About the only thing I can't stand is whiney steel guitars and Country & Western (whiney stuff). I have been listening to Middle Eastern, Indian, African, and North American Native music as much as I can and find the textures wonderful (even if I can't understand the words). My university has a 5W FM station that plays the off-beat stuff only - my favourite station!

Music sometimes helps to keep my mind occupied enough that I can do some deep thinking or perform delicate operations in a more efficatious fashion. When I screw up bad the ear plugs go in and the Hearing protectors over that - don't like that mode, brain tries to fly off in ten different directions and I have to play "traffic cop" to clear up the traffic snarl.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 07-25-2003).]

darryl
07-25-2003, 02:33 AM
Congrats on the longevity of your relationship with your wife, Matt. That's just too rare these days.
Anyway, all this talk about music reminds me about the 'Mozart effect'. I have read about this from time to time, and even listened to it (I like classical as well as any). I asked one of my many musical friends about the phenomenon of 'tuning', or 'attuning', as it might more correctly be called. My theory was, and is, that the actual tempo of the music being played is important in determining the way it will make a person feel. My theory has it tied in with brain wave frequencies, other natural frequencies, as well as the harmonics of same. At this point, I was told about the Mozart effect. Has anyone had experience with this? Could it be that a rhythmic beat, of a certain speed, say the ticking of a metronome, for instance, would enhance the attention span, or aid the creativity of a person in the shop?

Thrud
07-25-2003, 02:50 AM
Darryl

The Human heartbeat has long been known to "stike a nerve" in people. One of the most unusual recordings ever done was by:

Micky Hart
"Music to be born by" Rykodisc RCD-20112

This is a recording of his childs heartbeat while still in the mother. You can hear both of their heartbeats lock-step - facinating and surprisingly relaxing.

Evan
07-25-2003, 02:58 AM
Matt,

I agree, I sometimes actually close my eyes during a cut and listen to the machine. It helps the concentration and I can tell exactly what it is doing. Realize, my lathe is 110% manual. BTW, married for 33 years.

jfsmith
07-25-2003, 03:09 AM
How about the anvil chorus?

Jerry

Jaymo
07-25-2003, 03:30 AM
Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal(not thrash or death metal) Classical, some country. Country makes it hard for me to concentrate as it gets me missing the missus and young 'un.

bspooh
07-25-2003, 11:47 AM
After all these years, I can't stop listening to my old faithful...Punk music..I thought that when I got older, I would settle down with some easy listening music...NOT...I am not into much of 70's punk, but 80's punk is my favorite..90's punk is good too...I also love Hardcore, and My favorite is Sick of it All (NYC hardcore)...I also love thrash metal, like Slayer, Deicide, Cannibal corpse...

I might be a little twisted when it comes to music, but I can't help it..I grew up with this stuff and I just can't let go...

brent

Evan
07-25-2003, 12:32 PM
I do have to admit really liking Rammstein. I also understand the words. Nasty!

metal mite
07-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Dave Opincare

Quote;

NPR(inteligent talk radio )

It must not teach much spelling.

mite

Evan
07-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Mite,

Don't pick on people. It is not appreciated.

You also provided a quote but did not enclose it in quotes. You left out a space between NPR and the parentheses so your quote is not exact.

Also, in your profile you spelled biking incorrectly: "turning n milling n canoeing n bikeing", never mind the "n"s.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 07-25-2003).]

dvideo
07-25-2003, 04:07 PM
If you just call NPR the communist channel, it saves time and you get less agitated by the commentary. More honesty in broadcasting, I think.

You might hook up with KCRW in Santa Monica. I think their offering is the best in the US right now... I even am a sponsor. www.KCRW.org (http://www.KCRW.org)

Wide diversity of offereing. I am thoroughly additcted to Chocolate City and Metropolis.

I get a 128K feed via shoutcast over my cable modem. Makes the CM worthwhile. I listen in Dallas, Phoenix, or sometimes on the road.

-- jerry

Paul Gauthier
07-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Todays County, Country oldies, you know Hank Williams, Merle Hagard, Boxcar Willie, Tammy Wynette, etc., Classical, and oldies from 50's 60's. Always have something on.

Mayfieldtm.
Yes that is wierd.

------------------
Paul G.

jr45acp
07-25-2003, 05:04 PM
John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, Robert Johnson, C & W (especially Willei, Merle Travis), Mississippi Delta Blues, Charlotte Church (Voice of An Angel), etc, etc, etc. I like it all except punk and rap! My lathe seems parital to Elmore James, "dust My Broom"! Seems to cut bette rwhen that is playing.

wierdscience
07-25-2003, 10:01 PM
Ya,I listen to the new stuff too,as long as they have talent!I don't listen to Britney Spears,but I do watch her jiggle http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

My other favorites include,Hendrix(of coarse)The Who,BTO,VanHagar,Steve Ray Vaughn,Boston,Chicago,Kansas,Def Lepoard,etc.

We get stupid at work sometimes and sing our own lyrics ala Wierd Al,like Bostons 350624-3.14=equals pie,3.14=equals pi-i-ie...you get the drift http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

wierdscience
07-25-2003, 10:03 PM
I do like James Taylor,but is it true that hes Canada's answer to Elvis? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

jfsmith
07-26-2003, 01:59 AM
I like Shania Twain, the country stuff. Then Bare Naked Ladies, The Quess Who, Steppenwolf, Joan Baez, Rita Coolidge, Ani DeFranco, Atomic Kitten, Tool, Puddle of Mud and everybodies favorite Creedence.

Jerry

Thrud
07-26-2003, 02:48 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
I do like James Taylor,but is it true that hes Canada's answer to Elvis? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif</font>

NO. That would be Bruce Cockburn. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Or Bryan Adams http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

Wait, I know, Getty Lee! (geezer rock!)

No, maybe Oscar Peterson!

Wait, I know, K.D. Lang - My favourite lesbian!

I would say Pierre Elliott Trudeau, but the only song he ever did was the "Fuddle, Duddle" song... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 07-26-2003).]

Evan
07-26-2003, 04:11 AM
Thrud,

Fuddle Duddle is probably the most Canadian "in joke" there is.

Guero
07-26-2003, 07:01 PM
I don't believe anyone mentioned Pink Floyd; this is the only group which I've heard singing "Welcome to the Machine" as well as being "carried away on a steel breeze." Truly machinist music...

shorty
07-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Gordon Lightfoot may well be Canada's "Elvis " on 'ludes. And then there's always the infamous Leonard Coen, living proof that singing is not a prerequisite to win a Juno. Perhaps the re-incarnate of Elvis, or perhaps the dead one trying another comback.

Evan
07-26-2003, 08:35 PM
Pink Floyd is one of my all time favorites!

Techtchr
07-26-2003, 10:46 PM
Pink Floyd is good; Kids at school even like it.

wierdscience
07-26-2003, 11:31 PM
Yes,Pink Floyd-we're not worthy,we're not worthy http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Oh, and what about Lynard Skynard?Just heard "Free Bird" still sounds good.
Oh and my theme song-"Flirt'n With Disaster"That was by Molly Hatchet wasn't it?

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 07-26-2003).]