X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jake
    • Jun 2002

What's your project?

A message recently appeared on www.metalwebnews.com and was authored by Mike Burdick. He asked the question "What's your project?". The results were very interesting and enjoyable to read, so I hope Mike won't mind me bringing up his question on this board.

If possible, perhaps you can take a couple of minutes of your time and tell the group what sort of project(s) you are working on or hope to work on? Post pictures or list your web site if you want.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 06-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 06-29-2002).]
  • mbensema
    • Jun 2002

I used to work for a centrifuge manufacturer and I'm building a model of a decanter centrifuge that I had lots of experience with. I could have found a better material to work with, but it's made from stainless steel like the machine. for the frame, I will probably use aluminum to keep the wieght down and since I don't plan on actually running this machine, I don't need to worry about the strength there. I'm fairly new to machining, so this is going to be a good learning experience. If and when I finish this, I will post some pictures.

Mike

Comment

• JR in TX
      • Mar 2002

I am in the later stages of machining a miniature steam engine I bought the castings for over a year ago. Also am just starting on a 2-wheel cart for metal stock (angles, rods, bars)and am starting to line-up parts sources and make drawings of a small paint booth I plan to make. I always seem to have 3 or 4 projects going at once. That seems to work for me.

Comment

• jeastwood
        • Jun 2002

This topic finally got me to register, instead of being a lurker.

I've got several projects going:
        1) I'm in the middle of Ed Warren's 'Scoot'
        wobbler steam engine. Having lots of fun with it. His 'Dodi' was my first engine; after Scoot is done I'm going to make a 'Miss Too',
        also by Ed. It's a REAL steam engine, with valve gear and everything!

2) Even though I use a Sherline 4400 and 5400 for my main lathe and mill, I also have a cheap-o 7x10 for bigger stuff. It only came with a 3" chuck, so I got a 5" 4 jaw for which I'm about to make an adaptor plate.

3) The project after that will be a 5C collet chuck for my Sherline.

Love this forum.

Regards,

Comment

• Jake
          • Jun 2002

I have an old Clausing Lathe Model 111 sitting in my barn - it's been there for over twenty years. It has some problems with the spindle so with the advice from members of this forum regarding the selection of materials, I'm going to make a new one. Clausing doesn't support the lathe anymore but they were kind enough to send me the print - I didn't know they would do that.

Sure do enjoy these forums and I am definitely interested in hearing what everyone else is doing! Maybe some of the full time machinist will describe some of thier work.

-Jim

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 06-28-2002).]

Comment

• bdarin
            • May 2001

Almost done with my Tinker T&C grinder. This will allow me to resharpen all my tools so I can get back to my gatling gun.

Comment

• charlie coghill
              • Mar 2001

A couple of years ago I completed a 1/4 scale case steam tractor that had been in the works for about 5 years. Now I am building a steam boat. The engine is a 3X5X4 and is complete the boiler is 40 sq. ft. and it needs painting and than it will be complete. The boat is in the works now, if I can ever get it home.

I have received a lot of help from this BB.
              Charlie.
              Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
              http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

• Thrud
                • Mar 2001

Jake

I have been working on a Stuart #7 that some one hacked up. I am trying to keep it original and have had a bitch of a time getting the buggered parts since this steam engine is no longer in production. I was fortunate to come across a reversing gear kit for it (yeah!) and have replaced some of the buggered stuff. I am having great difficulty locating "acceptable" (to me) taps & dies in BA to continue. If I have to I will make my own. Muzzle brake for my hot rodded Ruger MarkII. New scope mount for 7.62x39mm, bipod replacement for bayonet,

My other projects are all tool related from tool boxes and cabinets to bit blocks made from Walnut Plywood. I wish I had a CNC for these! I need over 3000 holes for my Foredom Flexshaft and Dremel bits. It took 4 hours to drill the router bit block with forstner bits. I need a workbench for my router table. I am working on a gearbox/CNC of my Maximat 7. 90:1 dividing head with lathe nose - on freeze. PVD chamber for coating tools. Mobile tool grinding center.

A friend wants to build a battlebot - if his wife says it is ok!

I am doing other things that cannot be discussed under non-disclosure.

Comment

• burnlast
                  • May 2002

In the home shop a 1/2 scale Peerless class UU steam traction engine.A good friend of mine lent me the patterns he and his dad used to to build their engine.They built their's with an 18 in swing lathe,drill press,pedestal grinder,and an enormous amount of files.I have access to a lot more equipment than they had.AT work,I'm working on a 6000 lbs plus forging that nobody could figure out how they were going to do without a CNC lathe.Seems they quoted the job and it wouldn't fit into our 42 in CNC lathe.I'm going to have to put it in our big Niles lathe and run it using Guy Lautards radius method to cut several large radiuses.I had to go and open my mouth and tell them I knew of a way to do it on a manual lathe.I'm definitly not going to let them in on how I'm going to do it,let them figure it out(job security!!!!?????).

[This message has been edited by burnlast (edited 06-28-2002).]
                  ...the order of bringing about change
                  is the four boxes:
                  1.soap
                  2.ballot
                  3.jury
                  4.cartridge

Comment

• Oby1
                    • Sep 2001

I'm at a dead stand-still on an Atkinson
                    differential engine.The rings I made just
                    wouldn't do the job so I ordered some but I
                    have to make new pistions. A funeral,two
                    weddings,and the mid-secsion race at our local track kept me out of the shop.
                    I did work on my wind powered wirly gig,
                    its two dogs humping. I had to take it out
                    of the yard.Wife and neighborhood have no
                    funny bones in there body's,maybe they are
                    aleions!
                    Bob

------------------
                    Bob Indiana
                    Bob Indiana

Comment

• Jim Hubbell
                      • Jul 2001

My project lately has been making gears. After the metric conversion gears for my 10in Atlas lathe I just finished making the compound spindle gear for a spare. It was a cast gear with 16&32 teeth. I made it in two pieces and pressed it together. It runs smooth as can be. I also repair the tools and also make odd tools as needed in our HVAC Co. Rebuild grandkids bikes and on and on.
                      Jim

Comment

• msrm
                        • Apr 2002

sorting and cleaning years of neglect in our
                        shop. boxes of bolts and drill bits and
                        tool steel and other "useful" parts and pieces

I would like to make a compound sine plate
                        and a set of hole locating gages.(threaded
                        on one end with a dowel pin in the other) used to measure center to center distances for holes and other layout purposes.

Comment

• abn
                          • Feb 2002

#1 A tool post and holder for my 10" Southbend.

#2 An aluminum wheel hub/rotor carrier and brake caliper brakets for a vintage Mustang big brake conversion.

#3 Restoring a Tree 2UVR vertical mill to working condition.

#4 Fabricating tool and workshop boxes and organizers.

#5 Plenty of other stuff I'd like to do including making some sheet metal tools (slip roll and brake), I want to make a wood chipper, and a Tesla pump, and a router table. We'll see what I can get to.

Comment

• Tim#1
                            • Aug 2001

Hi Folks,

Good idea about telling other folks what they're working on. I just completed a torsion fiber magnetometer for detecting local disturbances in the earth's magnetic field. It's sensitivity is in the 1/100,000 Gauss range (earth's field is approx. 0.5 Gauss). Now I'm finishing up a gyroscope for a guy at work. It has an aluminum frame and a brass rotor. I use sapphire jewel bearings to reduce the friction. The shaft is 0.250" drill rod. It wobbles a little, maybe 0.001" off center, but works well. I'm improving my accuracy everytime I make one of these. I can get these spinning over 10,000 RPM with compressed air and they'll run up to 15 minutes. Fun to play with, if you like gyroscopes. Not sure what's next, but I have a list. I enjoy this BBS very much and you all have provided me with a lot of great information and ideas. Thanks!

Regards,

TIM
                            TIM

Comment

• Paul Gauthier
                              • Mar 2002

I am always in the middle of several things at once.
                              Some time ago I bought "Steam and Sterling Engines You Can Build" books 1 and 2. I decided on the three cylinder oscillating steam engine, Page 80 book 2, as my first. I believe I will then go on to a 10" Sterling powered fan. Page 22 of book 1.
                              I highly recommend these books as they cover all phases of engine building as well as Sterling and boiler construction.

I also work with wood and presently am working on toy trucks and dozers etc. for my two grandsons and my one granddaughter, so far. As yet my daughters won't let the boys play with the trucks, too nice they say and they put them up on the fireplace mantle.

Gunsmithing old Mausers is my favorite machining pastime. Rebarreling, drilling & tapping for scope mounts, building and attaching compensators, making and replacing bolt handles etc. I also have built a couple of 1911 raceguns in 45 ACP also my carry piece is slicked up a little. Thrud my Ruger Mk II also has a comp that I made for it. Perhaps we could compare photos? And the obligatory SKS scope mount. I made a whole group of those for friends.

In past years I have built used and sold three log splitters, 2 24" and 1 48". After the last one I vowed never again, but I am building one with a three point hitch for my tractor, I no longer burn wood for heat but now one of my sons-in-law does so of course he said "gee dad how about we make one". I thought the "we" part was particularly funny.

And in between every thing there is the need to keep some kind of order in my wood and metal shops. That takes up time that I really don't like to spend, but it is nessacary.

Thrud if I may suggest make your scope mounts to accept Ruger scope rings. They are more expensive, perhaps in Canada even more so, but they are worth it.

------------------
                              Paul G.
                              Paul G.

Comment

Working...
                              X