PDA

View Full Version : A Questin For Axel

jr45acp
07-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Axel, I came into posession of a Prema Shaper. It appears to be of Swedish origin. Do you have any knowledge of this machine and/or do you know if that company is still in business? I've got some rebuilding to do and my parts schematics are copies of copies of copies, well you get the idea!

------------------
John B

Axel
07-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Sorry, never heard of it! but is there any other text on it? "Prema" sounds very generic, could be made somwhere else?

Glad to help if I can!

Evan
07-25-2003, 01:18 PM
Prema just means "best" or "premium". As Axel says, very generic.

jr45acp
07-25-2003, 03:10 PM
All records, brochures I have on it point to Sweden as the country of origin. Then again, it was sold as a used machine in roughly 1968 to a community college. Thanks anyway, just trying all opportunities to try and get additional information. Axel, the only other text associated with it is the word maskiner, which I've been told mean essentially machine.

[This message has been edited by jr45acp (edited 07-25-2003).]

Evan
07-25-2003, 03:15 PM
That does mean machine in Swedish, Danish and Norwegian. I speak Danish. Any patent numbers on it?

edit:
Actually, maskiner is the plural of maskin.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 07-25-2003).]

jr45acp
07-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Evan, I haven't located any, but then again, I've not done a thorough search either. I'll look closely and let you know.

------------------
John B

Axel
07-25-2003, 05:26 PM
there used to be a foundry in every town, most are gone, so there is very little chance of this company existing!

Thrud
07-26-2003, 04:21 AM
Axel

Are you the same Axel with the Jet engine page? Or, am I on drugs...again?

Dave

Axel
07-26-2003, 04:44 AM
No Thrud, your drugs are fine, I'm not that Axel! have a nice trip! ;-)

Dr. Rob
07-27-2003, 04:12 PM
posted 04-23-2003 01:16 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, kind of. AB is the Swedish abbreviation for Inc., Maskiner is plural for machine (sort of obviously) and Prema is the manufacturer's name. I don't know them offhand, but throughout the 30's, 40's and 50's, Sweden had an enormous variety of machine manufacturers like Arboga and Koping. I'll look around, though. In the meantime, I'll agree that $200 is cheap, even for a boat anchor.
* * * muzak...

I'm back. Sure, there are a couple kicking around. What did you want to know? About like, quality of build and such? Dude, I would recommend Swedish machinery hands down, without reservation.

Machinery of the era was built to last forever. Swedes have an obsession with quality. If it worked once, it will work forever. Specifically a Prema shaper? Don't know; never seen one.

Don't know what happened to the company, though. Many were bought out & absorbed by larger brethren.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Rob (edited 04-23-2003).]

...and PS, Prema doesn't mean a darn thing. Easily confused with the closer-to-hand prima, as in prime. Prema is likely an example of an affinity for acronyms, like say, Pete & Ralph Eriksson MAchines.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Rob (edited 07-28-2003).]

Axel
07-27-2003, 04:56 PM
Swedish milling machines will make a Bridgeport look like joke, really I mean It!

I don't like the bridgeport design, and it's not very popular here.