X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pherdie
    • Jan 2003

An awesome home made surface grinder

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Teenage_Machinist
    • Jun 2008

Interesting-- Wonder if they sell this to Sherline or Taig.....

That is full featured it seems to have hydraulic feed. Wonder about it

Comment

• Spin Doctor
      • Nov 2002

About home brew SGs. I wonder how well Linear Actuators would work as table drives. Also with hydraulic cylinders on SGs. the cylinder rod cannot be mounted tight in the drive trunnion. There has to be some axial play or the cylinder can cause the table to twist during cycling unless the cylinder is dead nuts apallel on its center line with the tables axis of movement.
      Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

• rotate
        • May 2004

That's not a surface grinder. It's a grinding wheel with a motorized x-y table. You could probably achieve better parallelism and flatness from a milling machine than with that.

Comment

• Forrest Addy
          • Oct 2002

And the whole thing is open to swarf and abrasive.

I don't suggest this vid as anything but a fairly well executed proof of concept. Those who may be inspired should look into accuracy, rigidity, and guarding as first concerns.
          Last edited by Forrest Addy; 11-22-2008, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
            • Oct 2004

i see youtube are now putting pop up adverts right in the video frame box .. !!!

all the best.markj

Comment

• Dawai
              • Dec 2005

You tube, like google builds databases on users.

Soon, the popups and ads will be tailored directly for "YOU"...
              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

• dp
                • Mar 2005

youtube is google. Google bought them some time ago. There's no hiding from Google on the web.

Comment

• Norman Atkinson

Surface grinder

Or some thing utterly boring??????

All that has been achieved is something which could have been done by an apprentice with a lapping plate- and progressively finer grades of paste.

OK, it's got gimmicks-- but haven't we all?

I was looking at this- with one eye( the other is knackered).
                  Earlier we prattled and got hot under the collar with Quorns, Kennets, Stents, Wordens and ? Bonelles.
                  This demonstration could have been done a Chinese three way vice and a cheap 6" DE grinder with a pair of decent wheels.

Seriously, for those who aspire to a T&C grinder or surface thingy, you can all be as good as this.
                  Unquestionably, Mr Ikease, you are light years in front of this.

Hydraulic?-- more High Bollock!

Lord Nelson- one arm, one eye and one- tooth

Comment

• Peter N
                    • Jan 2006

What a bunch of bloody Philistines.

The man has made a fantastic small scale working model, and half of you just want to criticise and compare it to industrial machine tools or hand finishing techniques. You might just as well compare a coffee cup sterling engine to a Cummins diesel. Appreciate it for what is it. Last time I looked this was still HSM and not PM.

Peter

Comment

• dp
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Peter Neill
                      What a bunch of bloody Philistines.

The man has made a fantastic small scale working model, and half of you just want to criticise and compare it to industrial machine tools or hand finishing techniques. You might just as well compare a coffee cup sterling engine to a Cummins diesel. Appreciate it for what is it. Last time I looked this was still HSM and not PM.

Peter
                      Couldn't agree with you more. I thought the project was an excellent bit of ingenuity and talent, and not surprisingly, it works. It is a small scale solution, certainly, but so too is a jeweler's lathe. Deriding this fellow's success is unbecoming as a minimum, and the insult heaped on his project is disappointing to witness.

Comment

• Norman Atkinson

An Howling Success?

Peter, Peter!

The snow which we sent down is freezing your judgement.
                        We had had more than enough- and we had to send it -- air- draulically.

Peter, we are amateurs- or I certainly am. Here is a guy who has added all sorts of magic and apart from it doing its thing and you can stand with a coffee cup and become paralysed with sheer boredom-- we could all have watched someone fasten a grinder onto an ancient shaper.

The shaper routine is -- how old? I've got old Bradley's book on the shaper and his old clapper box did much the same.

Sorry, Peter, but really?

Cheers

Norm

Comment

• airsmith282

i think the guy did a great job and it was well thought out and very well made and it works as well .. thoes that dont like it well thats your deal but it shows me there is alot of cretive genius out there as well as guys that can think out side the box and do some really neat stuff, alot of large scale stuff was and is invented based on little working models.. i design alot of stuff my self and you gota have a good head to fiquire stuff out and think with and with out logic other wise nothing gets done..

Comment

• dp
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aviemoron
                            Peter, we are amateurs- or I certainly am. Here is a guy who has added all sorts of magic and apart from it doing its thing and you can stand with a coffee cup and become paralysed with sheer boredom-- we could all have watched someone fasten a grinder onto an ancient shaper.
                            In this forum one ventures outside the box at their own peril. I know this from personal experience. Though to be honest, this gentleman's product arrived here but not of his doing, and he has no possibility to retort or clarify his machine's purpose. It may have been a project for a grade at school. He gets an A from me.

Comment

• Norman Atkinson

Or something

Airsmith,
                              Might I comment? Peter( Bless him) sent me a set of construction drawings for the Stent which is a miniature surface grinder or tool and cutter grinder- or both.

I am not knocking creativity or miniaturisation but this mini monstrosity cannot even extend to do angles or tapers or do anything other than play 'Puppet on a String'

Now I like new innovation. Meantime, wake me up when the next Miracle appears from the East

Aye, eye!

Comment

Working...
                              X