PDA

View Full Version : Bar-b-q

spkrman15
07-26-2003, 05:48 PM
I am building some bar-b-q`s at work and i was woundering about putting some aluminum on the outside to dress the puppy up. I would put the Aluminum along side of the metal welds. Will the aluminum melt or warp. These are charcoal and bricket style bar-b-q`s

Spkrman15

SGW
07-26-2003, 06:48 PM
My guess is...it all depends. It's certainly possible to melt aluminum in a charcoal fire, so depending on how close the aluminum is to the hot area of the fire, and how big a fire gets built, you might be in trouble.

On the other hand, if there is an air space, say 1/2" or so, to permit a convection current between the inner firebox, whatever it is, and the aluminum cladding, I'd guess you would be okay.

ibewgypsie
07-26-2003, 07:38 PM
Got a buddy with a aluminum smoke stack on his, it looks like a train.

Neat stuff.. them things sell for a lot too.

Mine, it is a old hot water heater cut into a 90 degree, firebox on bottom, grill across top horizontal, it smokes and cooks with small sticks. No expensive charcoal needed, just a hand ful of sticks.

Next one, will be made like a Tee.. the cooking area is not large enough, two feet is not enough. I'd like it large enough in the firebox to get 24 inch wood into too. We will see.. Oak is my favorite, hickory the close next one.

WJHartson
07-26-2003, 10:38 PM
I doubt that you would melt the aluminum trim as it will be on the outside. Depending on how you attach the aluminum and how much stress you have on the trim will determine if it warps. If it fits in position without any stress and if you bolt it on with some room in the holes for expansion it shouldn't warp. You can only control expansion in one direction.

Hope this helps,

Joe

darryl
07-27-2003, 12:18 AM
Some barbeques appear to be made of aluminim, I don't see them melting. If it gets hot enough to melt, it should be able to cook a 1 1/2 in thick steak in about 4 seconds. Not likely.

Evan
07-27-2003, 01:19 AM
The hottest the thermometer on my BBQ evers gets is about 650F. Thats about 450F short of melting Al.

SJorgensen
07-27-2003, 03:41 AM
I've been wanting to make a large BBQ for our mountain cabin. My favorite right now is a split 55 gal. drum. This may not be large enough so it might end up being a double. I want to run it on gas. A standard BBQ just doesn't feed enough people fast enough. Do any of you have any suggestions or websites that might give some good ideas? I like a smoke box and steel plate for a work area or for pancakes. Also I hear some cooking is better done by indirect heat. I need adjustable intake and exhaust ports. How about hydralic lift struts? I'd like to make it stay clean on the outside.
Great thread.
Spence

Peter S
07-27-2003, 06:39 AM
I reckon stainless is what you want. Most people I know make sure the second BBQ they buy is stainless (after the first has rotted away in a couple of years). Not the plate/grill parts, but all the sheetmetal
etc. Thats gas-type, don't know about charcoal powered.

Evan
07-27-2003, 08:00 AM
I saw a BBQ on the TV in Argentina where they eat more beef than anywhere else in the world. It was slanted slightly towards the chef and the grill was made from small angle iron turned up so that it would catch the grease and it would run off the grill into a trough at the chef end of the BBQ. It seemed to work very well.

Paul Gauthier
07-27-2003, 08:07 AM
A large bar-b-que can be made from a 250 gal oil tank. A new one of course. You do not cut it in half but you do cut in a large door. Also good for a rotisserie for a whole pig. You can even make a few bucks by doing pigs roasts for others.

------------------
Paul G.

spkrman15
07-27-2003, 11:41 AM
The B-b-Q we build is out of 1/8 `` sheet metal. We managed to build tow of them for about 200.00 bucks each. This is not out of stainless. My goal was to maybe install some aluminum to dress the babye up. Some nice trim makes all the diference.

The box has the following dimensions.

12`` deep
4` long
16`` wide

We can cook enough burgers to feed 100ppl within 1/2 hour, and burn all the hair off of the employees arms as we do it http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

One bid secret about Bar-b-q`s is when they are big and you want to move them. PUT GOOD WHEELS ON THEM.

If i were going to make a bar-b-q out of an oil drum, weather new or used i would make a couple of fires in it before i used it to cook food. Just a suggestion. That is what we did with the one we built. Burn off all the oils that protect the metal from rusting.

Spkrman15

pgmrdan
07-29-2003, 08:23 AM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-18-2003).]