X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Your Old Dog
    • Dec 2004

Shop Safety and extension cord warning.

Pay attention to those orange shop style extension cords you've been buying lately. Note they are only 16 gage and not the customary 14 gage. The downsizing must have happened when the copper scrap price rose. May as well use house hold brown or white extension cords as at least you'll know there limitation just by looking at it.

Some of the import stuff has wire so small the outer sheath wrinkles. That is something new.

Can't tell you how many fires I've filmed while working news that were started with extension cords.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.
  • Evan
    • May 2003

In theory according to the tables of ampacity for enclosed 16 gauge wiring it will handle the maximum legal load on a 15 amp 120vac single phase branch circuit. The maximum legal load for such a circuit is 12.5 amps and 16 gauge wire is rated for 13 amps. A 30 foot 16 gauge extension cord will produce a drop of 6 volts over that distance and amperage which is within the allowed amount. Note that single conductor insulated 16 gauge wire in free air will handle 22 amps at 120vac.

The problem with extension cords isn't the ampacity of the wire usually, its the connectors. The ordinary 2 blade and ground plug used here just plain sucks and can easily provide a poor contact that will overheat and melt or char the insulation to the point of shorting the wires. To avoid this look for extension cords with locking connectors that have a clamping cam. Not only do they not pull apart they will make a much better and safer connection.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• Rustybolt
      • Jul 2002

That's why, for my personal use, I buy the yellow 12 ga extension chords. Well worth the money for the peace of mind. Not to mention I can plug in the 110 volt mig welder and not have to run around throwing breakers.
      The orange ones are good for hedge trimmers and leaf blowers.

Comment

• quadrod
        • Feb 2007

for those that have businesses OSHA requires all extension cords to be minimum of 14ga, i think.

Comment

• Dawai
          • Dec 2005

Osha don't mind a bit writing big tickets for drop cords with "phasing" colored tape on them to identify shop trucks..

Now that crap is insane.. not repair tape.. but marking tape.. you can spray paint them.. just not put something on there that won't degrade the insulation..

and you ever saw someone drop a drop cord in a bucket full of water and meg it? Only on a union job would they be so anal.
          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
          X