X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mcgyver
    • Mar 2005

atlas shaper - block dimensions

I'm full of questions these days - good thing you guys are so friggin smart!

Making parts to add to the pile of Atlas 7B parts I bought - need to make the block as per pic below.

Most dimensions are obvious via mating parts, but can someone measure theirs and tell me how long it should be?

Second Q; making a new block. Is this super oilite (oil impregnated cast iron??) that the original was made from either available or worth seeking out.....or..... would a steel block with bronze surfaces on each edge and a bronze centre bearing do just as well? or just a block of cast iron? Its a sliding bearing but also subjected to a fair bit of force

thanks for any ideas you might have
    located in Toronto Ontario
  • Optics Curmudgeon
    • Jul 2006

Mine's buried in the machine at the moment, but it's a shop built replacement by a previous owner. It's longer than the original, and made of what appears to be aluminum bronze, there is a well in the top for oil and holes for the oil to get to the pin and sides. On the whole, it's well made. The length isn't critical, except that more is better as long as you don't hit the ends of the slot on maximum stroke. I haven't looked for super oilite, so I can't comment on its availability.

Joe

Comment

• lazlo
      • Jun 2006

Michael, my Atlas is sitting out on the floor in the middle of my shop. I'll take some measurements tonight.

Sorry, I had said I was going to send you that earlier, but it got cached-out.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• Optics Curmudgeon
        • Jul 2006

I pulled mine out, it's 3.625 long, with the hole 1.625 from the top. It's beveled on the back, .187 at the top and .125 at the bottom, presumably to clear the back part of the slot in the arm. FWIW, three years ago Clausing said they still had a few of these, the last unique part for the shaper that they had in stock. Probably gone now.

Joe

Comment

Working...
        X