PDA

View Full Version : Some people!

wierdscience
07-23-2003, 11:41 PM
I logged off a awhile ago to make a trip to the store,I was running 55 in a 35 at night and the only other car on the road besides me was right on my bumper with the high beams on all the way into town,it seems peoples manners get worse all the time,Even people on bicycles are joining in,Mississippi law says that bicycles are subject to the same rules as cars,yet they run stop signs,fail to yield etc,all while arguing with a 3,000 pound car I might add,Is this the end of civilized society or am I seeing visions of Roadwarrior?

SGW
07-24-2003, 08:51 AM
There are some...I try to let 'em pass me at the first opportunity. If they're so eager to go fast, let 'em smoke out the speed traps before I get there.

G.A. Ewen
07-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Whats bugs me the most is drivers who don't know the rules of the road, like who has the right of way at a stop sign. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

Oso
07-24-2003, 09:10 AM
You know it....we have traffic circles, and NOBODY seems to know how to drive on one.

The rule is that anyone in already has the right of way, but folks cut in and do every other stupid thing.

Oh, and they roar thru the intersections here a full "slow 3 count" after the red light has come on.

jr45acp
07-24-2003, 09:36 AM
My favorite was going to work one morning, the guy behind me was so close that I couldn't see his heads lights (my tail gate was in the way)! If that wasn't enough, he passed me just before the crest of a two lane bridge over a very wide and deep river. Go figure. Scared hell out of me, even tho there was no oncoming traffic.

Weird, no offense, but 55 in a 35 at night? Or was that a typing error. Seems just a tad fast to me! We recently had a two fatality vehicle accident where someone was doing 55 in a 35. Two children killed under 10 years of age.

------------------
John B

bdarin
07-24-2003, 09:47 AM
Driving is as much art as it is science. I try to read other drivers' minds by watching their behavior. If they look like an a**hole, they probably are, so I'll avoid them. Kind of like some people at parties, come to think of it.

G.A. Ewen
07-24-2003, 10:53 AM
bdarin, that is getting harder to do with the current popularity with tinted windows! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

WJHartson
07-24-2003, 11:17 AM
Drivers in the US have gotten worse over time. I have learned patience when driving as I have gotten older. When I lived in Jamaica I learned defensive driving. Had too, I wanted to live. You drive on the right side of the road and they have traffic circles with the worst roads in the world. Something that I was not use to. Not wrong just different. Jamaicans buy their drivers license and when they drive it is the only time they are in a hurry.
Driving in the US is getting worse all the time hope it doesn't get as bad a Jamaica.

Joe

Joe

C. Tate
07-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Hey Wierd,

Where do you live? I have a shop in Starkvegas.

C. Tate

wierdscience
07-24-2003, 09:20 PM
Bottom of the state,Picayune http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Ya,I was doin 55 in a 35,but it was also a four mile straight away and I tailor my speed to traffic,in other words when in Rome-

I usually try this trick on tailgaters,I let up on the gas and coast-once got down to neutral before the a--hole in question passed http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

We get lots of "motorists" here from New Orleans,they can't drive their way out of a paper sack!They seem to run in packs on the interstate,ten or fifteen at a time in a clump,and then two miles of clear asphalt,go figure?
We had a Russian merchant marine working for us who jumped ship in Gulfport,when I learned to drive I had to take the written test,wait thirty days,take the driving test,wait thirty more days,pay 13.00 and then be legal-this guy walks in,shows the trooper his Russian licsense,in his red army college uniform,two minutes he stamps it valid,he pays five bucks,and drives away-making a left turn on red as he pulls into traffic!

L Webb
07-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Come to So Calif if you want to see stupid drivers. On a daily basis you will see people on the way to work in the morning that are paying attention to everything but their driving.
Common sights are: women applying makeup while driving, drivers eating a bowl of cereal and milk, drivers talking on their cell phone while flipping through pages of paperwork, drivers reading the newspaper, drivers reading a book, and so on and so on.
Honking your horn at an idiot driver is an instant invitation to a road rage event. Their car becomes a weapon to intimidate you, or they just pull a gun and start shooting.
A large number of the drivers here don't have insurance or are in the country illegally or both. I have seen several collisions where one drivers splits one direction and the other takes off in another direction.
The container hauling trucks are the biggest hazard. Five dollar trucks and they are in a hurry to get back to the port so they can get another $30 load.
Driving in Los Angeles is more than just going somewhere, it is an adventure.

Les

yf
07-25-2003, 02:56 AM
And I though New York drivers were the worst.
Seems like I should stop complaining http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Thrud
07-25-2003, 03:14 AM
Oso

We still have traffic circles - I like them, but they can be very dangerous.

As to the "Red Light Runners" - here in Edmonton, Locheed Martin (who developed the system as part of an advanced weapon system for the US military) are in partnership with the city for traffic light cameras. Man do they issue a sh*tload of tickets! They will eventually have them at nearly every intersection - and the tickets issued are paying for them! The best part is that they have photographed some serious accidents and remove all doubt as to the fault of parties involved.

Oso
07-25-2003, 09:19 AM
We have a lot of the cameras also.

BUT, none of them I have seen are aimed at the departing traffic and intersection. They are all aimed directly into the windshield of the first car stopped at the light.

Sounds like they are more for computerized ID of drivers and apprehension of wanted folks than for red lights...........

bspooh
07-25-2003, 10:40 AM
None of you all know what a bad driver is until you come to Utah and drive..Trust me, we are all idiots here, including me!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

brent

CompositeEngr
07-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Everybody should ride a motorcycle.
What I learned from my motorcycle can be boiled down to: always have some place to go if the worst thing happens.

siminov
07-25-2003, 02:14 PM
CompositeEngr
As a fellow rider I couldn't agree more. I am always looking for the way out debating where to go if something goes haywire in front of me. Living on the Canadian shield I've come to a definite pattern of thinking.Lakes and swamps always look softer than rockcuts.
People don't take driving serious enough, If my math is right, a 3000 Lbs vehicle at 60 Mph would have about 361000 ft/Lbs of energy.This way more than any rifle that I am familar with.I bet most shooters would be very careful with some thing with this much power. we as drivers should take the same care . I am as guilty as the next I drink coffee and drive or check the GPS, but when I shoot, the rifle has my complete attension , but I could do better when I drive,
I think that on a motorcycle a person is more aware of the speed ,the wind in your face or looking straight down and seeing the ground going by at 60 Mph. I think it makes me a more aware driver.

Enough babling from me for know .Be safe out there.

wierdscience
07-25-2003, 08:43 PM
Distractions?I saw this blonde chick one time,she was talking on the phone,puttin on makup and tuning the radio at the same time,she had her skirt hiked up steering with her knees-in 70 mph traffic!

Around these parts the most dangerous driver on the road is a 16 year old girl in a Neon,one speed wide open,and just looking for a hole http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

gizmo2
07-25-2003, 08:48 PM
As a biker, I hate the tinted windows. You can tell alot about the drivers' intentions by watching their eyes; 1. if they even looked, 2. if they saw your or just saw through you, and 3. what they might do about it, if they acknowledge your presence. This last one seems to have gotten worse as the vehicles have gotten more sport utility. As odd as it sounds, I find the more aggressively I ride, the fewer close calls I have with automobiles. "Look at that crazy summbich, Edna!" Opperative word LOOK. Recently I put a motor on my bicycle and it has become my favorite ride. Top speed about 23mph. Cops follow me everywhere. As long as I remember all the traffic laws, especially that pesky stopping manuever, we fly in formation without a hitch. By the way, I agree with Brent about Utah drivers, who treat the whole bloody state like it was the salt flats.

Peter S
07-26-2003, 01:27 AM
All the examples given so far are 'good driving' compared to India. The main reason for surviving accidents there seems to be that the roads are so bad, you can't get up much speed. Nevertheless, there must be an appalling road toll.

We had two accidents,one solved by paying injured guy on bike $, countless close shaves. It was much safer to go by train, I strongly advise it.

The road rule is simple - size matters.

Bus drivers are the true maniacs, even trucks give way to them. The buses are really frightening, every panel covered in dents and paint applied with a broom. No glass in any window, steel bars to stop passengers falling out. Guys hanging out the door, and another guy outside of him hanging on with fingers and toes. Buses all have severe permanent lean on, collapsed springs no doubt and drive at maximum possible speed whether in town or country.

You drive in the middle of the road, smaller fry give way. Like a charmelion which changes colour to ward off enemies, the Indian driver uses flashing lights and horn to intimidate oncoming traffic and give an impression of increased size and courage. Roads were just a single lane tarmac each way, many bad holes etc. Bus, truck, mini bus stick to the road centre, cars make there way down sides, they in turn push auto cars, rickshaw, motorbikes onto the road edge, cyclists, pedestrians take to the dust on the roadside.

Night driving - a simple warning - do not go out on the road at night!! Quite alot of vehicles drive without lights, we had a very close shave with an unseen oncoming bus driven very fast, middle of the road, no lights - guy hanging out the front door with a torch. For night driving, if you have lights, you leave them on low beam, then as the oncoming vehicle approaches, you put on high beam, then at the last minute start flashing high beam as well. This will hopefully cause oncoming maniac to pull over and leave you the road centre.

Once in a mini bus climbing long road into the hills, at night. Be aware that overtaking on blind corners is mandatory, but our driver was quite clever - when pulling out to overtake on blind haipin, turn off all lights. You can see with the lights of the vehicle you overtake, and can see any on coming lights much easier.

Actually, the 12 hour trip with this driver was good fun- like say a roller coaster ride that lasts for 12 hours. You realise it is pointless to worry, and begin to appreciate his undoubted skills, taking countless risks and surviving each time.

The only bit I truly didn't like was the way he increased speed while going through small towns. Going full speed with hundreds of people crowding the roadsides, just one wrong step they would be knocked down.

Stopped at two police road blocks (seem to be a straight-forward on the spot money collection system), driver negotiated our 'fine' down somewhat.
Loud, distorted Hindu music blasting out speaker beside me, lucky I had those earplugs with me..

Any driver, including those I was with, would drive from a side street and join a busy road with out looking for on-coming traffic. The traffic just blends. Stop signs in cities are ignored, you don't even slow down, just blast on through.

There is much to look out on the roadsides, almost everywhere this is something going on, people walking, selling, lying, guys fixing bikes, areas where taxiis are being beaten back into shape, miles and miles where say coconut fibre is being packed, carried, sorted, and woven on hand-cranked rope making machines, all done on the roadside. Roared past roadside engineering 'shops', lathes outside in open air, guys forging red hot steel on anvils, saw a guy welding holding a piece of glass over his eyes.

Many trucks on the road, old long bonnet Dodge lookalike popular. Others (Tata) Mercedes copies, lots of Leylands. When a truck breaks down, it does not pull off the road. You park right in your lane and put a line of roadside rocks around the vehicle.
Lots of jeeps used, these are similar to Willys from probably 1950's, but diesel powered. Two wheel drive, but still retain front axle with 4wd type steering ball/kingpin.
Old Morris Oxford from 1950's still sell well, they are used as Taxiis or when you want something substantial. They are diesel-(under)powered, with crappy plastic dashboard 'update'.
Plenty of Royal Enfield m/cycles,including one with a single cylinder diesel engine.

Up in the hills (Nilgiri hills) where British used to go in the summer to escape the heat - beautiful place, cool, tea plantations are like endless perfectly trimmed garden, flowers, trees etc. Took train steam rack engine (steam is pretty much dead in India) back down, elephants in the bush beside track. Fortunately was with Indian chap when we boarded train- the carriages were overfull and bulging. He just jumped and grabbing doorway with both hands, used body to shove a space for us, managed to fit with pack hanging out (glassless) top of door. Much strong language from other passengers which gradually died down.

One other memory, team of men and woman laying tarmac road where I was staying. They use a large portable concrete mixer, powered by Lister diesel engine. There is a huge diesel-fueled blow torch blasting the mixer bowl. Put in gravel and tar and let it stew. pour into wheelbarrow and then onto road. Worked well.

Thrud
07-26-2003, 01:39 AM
Brent

I doubt that your driving is as bad as the two dingle-berries that hit me...

I was hit head on in a parking lot by a weiner taking a shortcut at high speed.

Two year later I has asleep in the front pasenger seat when this dick rear ended us at 40MPH (we were stopped waiting for the truck in front of us to turn) - he was picking up his coffee cup off the floor and could not see the road.

I used to be able to pick up and put a full 55gallon drum on my shoulder and walk 300' feet or so with it. Now my willy is too heavy...he has ADD now too! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

ibewgypsie
07-26-2003, 10:03 AM
If you got angry, it was a road rage incident. A felony here, go turn yourself in, it is the right thing to do.

If you just do like I do, when tail gated in my custom truck, I slow down to 25 mph or so. They soon pass, angry, but they pass.

My truck looks like it belongs to a kid, or a mexican, (lowrider) people take swipes at it all the time. I fill the cab up, you should see the looks on thier faces change.

Cass
07-26-2003, 12:35 PM
The most courteous and maybe some of the best drivers in the world are in Italy. I commented about Italian drivers to a local there and she said "everyone makes mistakes so you have to allow for it, you should not get angry, it is not here like with the Germans; ....you're wrong, I hit you, boom!".

They are on the metric system there and strictly follow the "one millimeter for each ten mph of speed"; they only have minimum speed limits posted but actually do have maximum speed limits that only the police know. If they see someone doing something badly they can stop them and they are automatically guilty. Great roads, when you see headlights flash behind you get over as fast as possible. I found that Lambroughini's sound much smoother than Mercedes or Ferrari's at 160mph when they pass. Millions of motorcycles.

Thrud
07-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Dave
I never got angry - I called a lawyer after 6 months of pain.

The second guy was kind enough to call and see if I was still alive after the accident.

BTW - In Canada you do not get much help from Doctors, lawyers, or insurance companies. Death in a car accident pays only $75K (Canadian)per death max. The statutory maximum you can sue an insurance company for is $500K (Canadian) - all medical expenses paid by the government for your injuries comes out of that settlement after the lawyers take their cut and you pay the GST - no income tax on it though. The only way you ever get more is if you cannot walk or are a quad because of it.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 07-26-2003).]

Jaymo
07-28-2003, 02:53 AM
I was driving on I-85 last year and a girl play with herself while driving. She was in the lane to my left. She had her left foot on the dash, her right leg spread as far to the right as she could while keeping her right foot on the gas pedal, and her skirt hiked up around her waist. I watched her from I-985 all the way down to I-285. Quite a distance. Quite a show. I wish I'd had my camcorder with me, but who would have thought I'd need it at work. I've seen a lot of cooter while working the road. I've even seen been flashed and seen women touching themselves, but nothing like this. She appeared to have 3 orgasms(I nearly had one too). And she never left her lane, can't say the same for myself. My driver door was inches from her passenger door. Hey, if you're showing it, I'm gonna look. Funny thing, I noticed she wasn't wearing any panties. She looked over at me once and smiled, right before she started raking the trough. I think she was putting on a show. What a pervert. What a woman! Made me happy. She looked at me and waved when she finished. Kinda like "You know you want it but you can't have it."
Then she accelerated away and I saw the "rainbow" sticker across her trunk. She was the best looking lesbian I've ever seen.
My favorite memory of the road.

Oh, yeah, Atlanta drivers used to be some of the best, but Atlanta is now so full of DUI illegal aliens and rude yankee transplants that it is now a city of terrible drivers with horrible manners.

lynnl
07-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Jaymo, tell us more about the I-85 episode. What stretch..what milemarkers? Time of day? what day of the week? ...etc., etc.
Maybe she drives it regularly.

(Ooops. I see that you did list the section of the highway. I'd missed that in my excitement.)

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 07-28-2003).]

Thrud
07-29-2003, 06:09 AM
Guys
Truckers get "shows" all the time - woemn by themselves, with a guy, with another woman, and guys with women, Toys, and worst of all - guys with other guys or by themselves.

Sure glad I lost my sex drive - a waste of time and mental energy.

spope14
07-29-2003, 11:34 AM
I live in the Northeast, about two hours from Boston, but might as well be there due to the driving habis. Rule of the road, keep it between the buildings on the side of the sidewalks, and anything moving must be passed of hit.

Tailgating is a phenom that is all over th place, as is road rage. Actually, I am out in the boonies as far as New England goes, and there are boonies out here. Just the driving habits stay big city. I have on many occassions taken a licence number of an offending car, and called it in via cell phone - after stopping.

Most of the offenders these days seem to be young girls in little sports cars like the Mitsubishis.

Not so much "Road Warrior", but more "the fast and the furious". BTW, I lost a former student, out by one year, last week, seems the car he was in was racing another - those little four cyls and 6 cyls with the wings all tricked out - both of them. Hit a curve at 106 est. by the police, cut a 24 inch oak in half 15 feet up. Drinking, Driving, and Racing. Not a single one of which above is a good idea on New England Back Country roads (or anyway for that matter). The other car ran off. Police did not know about the other car, but students have told me with the intent and knowledge that the word would get back to the right sources - it has.

Yes, saddened very much. Three funerals like this in four years now......

shorty
07-29-2003, 08:58 PM
Seems there are always a few that are in a hurry to get nowhere. After years of playing on the road in a band and having to drive buses and vans with trailers full of gear. I've come up with solution to the never-ending tailgater problem. I generally give two reasonable warnings to BACK OFF!!! by touching my brakes thusly alerting the offending tailgater that I really don't want to have my backside violated by his frontside....thanx very much.
I just so happen to keep an ashtray full of pennys handy at all times and if this fails, which on occasion it does, I move closer to the centerline, roll my window down just a hair and toss twenty cents worth of copper out of it. The results are an immediate "diving" of the offenders headlights (if it's at nite) and generally I'm afforded the space I feel that I require to drive safely.......I figure my lifes worth the 20 cents!!

spope14
07-29-2003, 10:17 PM
I avoid road rage at all costs. The post about 3000 vehice equaling an enormous ammount of mass at 60 MPH is one that makes sense to avoid having someone irritated at you and trying to ram you or push you off the road.

I generally drive the limits, or 5 MPH more but for highways, where i follow flow, but always look for the chance to hit limits instead of 10 to 15 plus.

When tailgated by an idiot, I usually pull it over after a bit when I feel they are getting irked and mad. My reason is very simple. I have a wife, a 23 year old daughter, a grand daughter, and a 12 year old daughter, all whom I adore and live for. Do not need to get in a whizzing match with a pea brain or a sociopath who will not stop once mad.

Mind you, I have been the victim of road rage. had my car bump drafted at 75 MPH in Pueblo CO on the curviest part of I-25 on an elevated part in heavy traffic - no place to go, got bumped hard, had to use the gas, wanted to find a hole, got bumped again, lost control, found it by grazing the left guard rail. Her insurance paid for this, three others got the plate.

Waved a guy over on our local NH main drag - four lanes, the guy and his 2 year old in the co-pilot seat decided I needed to go 70 instead of 35. My then 17 year old daughter with me. I started to the right lane, waved pass left, the idiot thought I fingered him, pulled in behind me, followed me to my kids work, got out, and wanted to fight. I got out to ask what was up, the guy had a rather large gun. My daughter thought I was "scared", the teenage "show him who's boss" attitude they have, until she saw a chrome gun in his hand. never once got irritated while driving or waving by, but then after the parking lot incident, with seven witnesses, I called PD, and after testifying one month later, the guy got 30 days suspended ??????.

I find generally if I find a lighted pull off, or can find a passing lane and get over and let the jerks pass, nothing comes of it. I have too much to live for to "up the ante". Have seen the results of irritated idiots twice now, and survived to tell about it.

I liked the comment about the 16 year old girl in the NEONS. Too true.

crossthreaded
07-30-2003, 12:47 AM
When I lived in the PRC(People's Republic of California) they passed a tough law against shooting people from a moving vehicle. I guess it was OK to shoot somebody if you were parked or walking.

Thrud
07-30-2003, 01:03 AM
spope14:
I had one butthole "bump draft" me here in Alberta. Clear road, empty lane on the right, me in the left driving 10 MPH over speed limit (125Km/hr total)when this Ahole runs up behind me and stays 2 feet behind my truck. I apply my break lights to get him to back off and he moves closer. I wave him over and he moves closer. This goes on for 5 minutes - then I tell my buddy to put the belts on because a deer is about to jump out in front of the truck.

Then I stood on those 9.50x16.5 radials and smoked them. I am sure that the guy **** his pants. He backed off about a mile or so behind me and moved over to the the other empty lane. I can bet that he will never tailgate again. To be honest, I could care less if he hit me - I was in an 8,000lb. truck. He did not rear end me because of my actions.

It was stupid, but someone had to teach that jerk a lesson.

Paul Alciatore
07-30-2003, 02:06 AM
But every now and then, there is a cop when you need one.

I was going to work in Miami on I-95 on a Saturday some years ago in left lane and going about 5MPH over the limit (about the normal speed for there). At a point where the road was 6 lanes wide some jackass decides to ride my bumper. Now, in Miami they will shoot you for the slightest reason so when I noticed him, I just pulled over to let him pass. Well, he stays on my bumper and follows me to the next lane so I speed up a bit and pulled over another lane. Once again, he sticks to my bumper. At this point I was really worried as it was apparent he was doing it deliberately so I moved over the remaining four lanes to the right and began looking for the next exit. I knew where the nearest police station was and intented to head there.

Then, as I was starting out the exit ramp, I see the blinking lights in my mirror and he is being pulled over. Every now and then, there is a cop when you need one.

But road rage is a very sneaky thing. A few years later I was working in DC and found that the traffic and long commutes there were starting to get to me after about six months of it. I found myself starting to give in to the urges to get mad in traffic and had to take very deliberate steps to control it. Best thing I found was to buy books on tape and listen to them as I drove.

Now I work in a small town in Iowa and a traffic jam here is ten pickups at a traffic light. I don't ever want to go back to big city traffic.

Oso
07-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Fewer people will mess with you if you

A) are driving a pickup, even a small one

B) Have a ballcap on

C) Have a gunrack in the rear window of the truck, (even if nothing is on it)

d) The truck has dents in it or better yet, is a real "beater"

All bets are off if they are driving a bigger, dirtier, and older pickup.

L Webb
07-30-2003, 10:07 AM
When I was young and getting paid by the mile and load driving a truck, I used to be impatient and was very irritated by stupid drivers. And it seemed like everytime I would try to get a little extra speed up before hitting a grade, there would be old folks in their Buick or Cadillac holding me up.
I look at it a little differently now. Everytime I come up on older drivers who are cruising slower than the rest of traffic, I just say to myself, hey, that could be my mom and dad on the road. That older couple cruising and irritating some drivers, just might be grandma and grandpa making a special trip to see a grandchild. It might be the last road trip they are ever able to make.
My driving skills are better than theirs. I am able to give them plenty of room and not startle them with a quick manuever.

I guess that means I'm getting older and wiser myself.

Les

Evan
07-30-2003, 05:45 PM
I've driven thousand's of kliks on the Autobahn in Germany. It's amazing how they manage to mix truck traffic which is strictly limited to a top speed of 90kmh with car traffic going as fast as 250 or more. The trucks are strictly limited to 90k and they have speed recorders to enforce it. Der Polizei will pull over trucks at random just to check the recorders. They only give them a couple of kliks slack. The cops over there have zero tolerance for infractions and some carry Uzzis.

The Autobahns are not all unlimited speed, only about half have no speed limits. The first time I was there I was driving an Audi A4. It would cruise just fine at 160 to 170 (that was as fast as my wife would cruise too). It sure feels like you are barely moving when you slow down to 80k (about 50mph) for a major junction.

The main thing that make the Autobahn work is an absolute rule of NO PASSING ON THE RIGHT, ever. If you are in the left lane doing 180 and you see flashing headlights in your mirror all you need to do is take a quick glance to the right. No-one there? Then quick lane change is safe because you know that nobody is overtaking you on the right.

I discovered that there must be a secret contract that Mercedes owners sign that says "never let anyone pass you". I was tooling down the centre lane at the recommended 130k one day and passed a guy in a red Mercedes convertible. I think he was daydreaming or something 'cause about 60 seconds later he blew past me on the left at about 200.

In the small villages they have super strict 30kmh speed limits and you have almost no warning a lot of the time. You come around a bend at 80 on a secondary road and there is a 30k limit sign about 10 metres ahead. You best stand on the brakes because the fines are real stiff. If I recall correctly, the first infraction is about a thousand dollar fine and the second infraction is lose your license forever.

I was passing through a tiny village in the Black Forest once doing the limit and around a blind corner was an old Hausfrau crossing the road. I stopped for her and she had just about made it to the other side of the narrow street when a guy in a Mercedes came screeching around the bend. He lit up the tires on the cobbles, steered to the left, missed us by about a millimetre and picked up the back end of the womans skirt with his bumper as he slid past. Then he booted it out of there. Crazy bastard. That was the last thing we needed, damn near a dead woman, a wrecked Audi and being interviewed by the German police for the next week.

The craziest drivers on the Autobahn are the guys riding the crotch rockets. The fastest I have ever driven a bike is about 170k but I have been passed on the Autobahn by guys who must have been doing 250.

The Autobahn is a pretty safe place to drive but every once in a while **** happens. We would sometimes see 15 car pileups because some idiot wasn't paying attention and comes around a bend to find a traffic jam. They have an interesting way of assigning fault in that case. The last guy to hit the pileup is responsible for all of it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. You can get a real stiff fine for giving someone the finger.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 07-30-2003).]

wierdscience
07-31-2003, 12:14 AM
Ilove idiots,and so does God,thats why he made so many of them,I had a road rage incedent myself once,what did I do to provoke it you ask?I gave the guy the right of way,he and I came to a four-way stop at the same time and since he was the guy on the right I gave him the right of way,he turned around and followed me to a gas station got out of his car an proceded to rant and rave and cuss me out,I laughed at him and said,you stupid moron- you had the right of way and I gave it to you,what are you gonna do sue me?He quickly realised his mistake,apoligized for his error and left,I think his change of attitude came from seeing 6"5" 325lbs of mean spill out of an 86'Ford ranger http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
I got a buddy who dislikes tailgaters with a purple passion,his solution was to add a windsheild washer pump and bottle connected to a nozzle in his back fender,if they get to close and ignore the warnings he lets'm have it with baby oil,he says it works real good,you can still se through it but boy those wipers sure don't work http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif