PDA

View Full Version : Manganise

Michael Az
07-30-2003, 02:27 AM
Went scrounging the other day at the biggest copper mine in the world and came home with over two tons of metal. They had some nice large peices of manganise that I passed on cause I've never worked around it. Does anybody know if it can be annealed? It sure is some hard stuff. Wish now I would have bought some just to beat on as I don't have an anvil.
Michael

tonydacrow
07-30-2003, 10:54 AM
Just a little info on Manganese.

It comes in at a density of 7.44 g/cc and has a hardness of 48 Rockwell C. That's approximately the same density and hardness of 4140 oil quenched and tempered at 600 F. Fun stuff! But be careful. The fumes from welding can be deadly.

Thrud
07-30-2003, 06:23 PM
For an anvil find a scrap yard with some large I-Beams and cut a chunk off. If you get the right size it will function as its own stand...

Good enough for the girls I go with, but for serious forging get a real anvil.

Dave Opincarne
07-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Rail line is usualy manganese steel, Similar composition to anvils.

-Dave

CCWKen
07-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Just for info, don't use the HF 55 pounder. I was shaping some brackets on it and broke the horn off. It was new and they took it back but it was a pain to lug back to the store (30 miles one-way).
I've since gone back to a piece of rail. Don't use I-beams unless you have some good ear muffs. They ring like a bell and A36 isn't that strong.

Michael Az
07-31-2003, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the advise fellows. I don't really need an anvil, but these were some nice chunks probably 200lbs each at $.10 a lb. Sure wish they were cast iron. They did have some big cast iron but it was chilled cast iron.
Michael