PDA

View Full Version : Old junk just laying around....

x39
07-29-2003, 10:31 PM
It occured to me today that I have accumulated a rather goodly assortment of derelict machine tools in various states of disrepair. I'm a sucker for a project I guess. Here's a partial list of what I currently have taking up space.
Reed&Prentiss 14x40 (I think) belt drive lathe, vintage unknown, completely dismantled.(got it free for hauling)
Weiler lathe (simular to Hardinge DV-59) in need of major clean up.(paid $100.00)
Ingersoll-Rand T-30 single stage compressor, no motor, bent crank.(found at dump)
Everett cut-off saw, no motor or vise.(paid $25.00)
Delta bench top band-saw, needs tires, bearings, and motor.(found at dump)
Old kick press (got it free for hauling)
Brown&Sharpe No.2A surface grinder, circa 1914, missing automatic feed parts. (took in leiu of money owed)

This doesn't include numerous old engines, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, generators, and various other detritus that has followed me home through the years. What kind of old junk do you guys have cluttering the place up? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//cool.gif

wierdscience
07-29-2003, 11:31 PM
Okay,I got a 36x144 cone head lathe,a two head Avey drill press,a Cinn.#5 drill press,a Cinn.20"shaper,A Ikato 14"blanchard grinder,A Seneca Falls Star lathe,A 36"Faye&Egan wood planer,A Hermance moulder, a Ex-cello mill,a Ex-cello edm,and a few out in the weeds I forgot about,oh and I added a 48"slip roll yesterday http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Way I figure I will need to live to be at least 300 years old to get everything I want to do done. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Cass
07-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Do you guys ever get to Texas? I have some things you need.

CCWKen
07-30-2003, 02:00 AM
Hey Cass, I'm IN Texas... whatcha got?

ibewgypsie
07-30-2003, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I see this all the time, ads saying, will clean out basements and garages free.

People doing this have new trucks, no real jobs. It must pay off.

I have accumulated stuff too. Ebay amazes me, junk sells better than good new stuff.

Cass
07-30-2003, 09:20 PM
I have two real nice vapor degreasers in good shape with ultrasonic cleaners and all the bells and whistles. No room for them and I need to clear the space real soon. A lot of DC power supplies, air cylinders, air isolated anti-vibration tables, a couple anti-fatigue mats made of oak slats on rubber stripes, explosion proof 3 ph motors 1.5 hp, cast iron slides with air over oil drive, 10 hp 3ph water pump. No reasonable cheap offers refused.

Shed Machinist
07-30-2003, 09:49 PM
I sure would like to get a hold of a nice fixxer upper lathe but Northern IN sucks

CCWKen
07-30-2003, 11:18 PM
There's lots of equipment for sale up North. I've seen some in PA, CT and RI all going cheap. Auctions and sales every week up there. Here in South Texas, pickin's are slim and go for high-dollar. Old South Bends (12x30 & 12x36) went for $1500-$1700+ and ratty lookin' to boot.

x39
07-30-2003, 11:19 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
Ebay amazes me, junk sells better than good new stuff.</font>

I have an acquaintance locally who is a hard core dump picker. He does some construction work for a living. A few years ago he was between jobs and went into his basement and hauled up a few boxes of old junk he'd picked at the dump (door knobs, hinges, whatever) and spent the afternoon putting them on ebay. He netted over $500.00 and has since made it a large part of his livelyhood. There's a 16" SouthBend lathe on ebay right now that I'm pretty sure came from a machine shop closure auction that was held not far from here. Judging by the price (opened at $250.00), the auction must have been a buyer's market.

wierdscience
07-31-2003, 01:37 AM
I was at an auction last year an old company with a foundry and machineshop operation,they had big machines going dirt cheap,one was a Grey planer mill 4x12' table only five years from factory rebuild went for $425.00,they also had a Bullard vtl with a 60"table and dual turrents it went for $325.00,but they had some old worn out chain falls on roll around a-frames that went for $1,000 and up.Go figure.

Forrest Addy
07-31-2003, 01:53 AM
"Junk" Hey! Thats a terrible thing to say about my machine tool inventory.

Some guys got no manners

x39
07-31-2003, 10:13 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
old worn out chain falls on roll around a-frames that went for $1,000 and up.Go figure.</font>

I'v seen the same phenomena. I was at one auction where two old guys bid a well used oxy-acetylene set-up to a higher price than a new brand name set would have cost!

Cass
07-31-2003, 10:58 AM
A big factor in auction prices for machinery is moving and set up. An old A-frame crane with an old chain fall on it is one of the most useful things you can own. The cost to move a good size VTL and the concrete work and utilities to set it up and get it going is around $70,000. Obviously a reasonable cost if you have a new machine worth $400,000 or so but obviously a non starter for an old machine in need of complete rebuild. Very narrow market for BIG old machinery. I once saw an essentially new Niles VTL with a 100" table equipped with a Vickers tracer sell at a government sale for less than $25,000. The machine had made at most a total of two parts since installed in an air conditioned facility. Cost to move it and set it up was estimated at over $100,000. Total cost to the buyer was reasonable but someone looking at the sale price would think the buyer stole the machine. It moved probably 5 miles. I have a gear hobbing machine that is junk and I have been paying storage on it for years because the cost to get riggers to move it and the hassle of canabalizing it is over $1500. Now I have a heavy trailer.

Oby1
07-31-2003, 03:33 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shed Machinist:
I sure would like to get a hold of a nice fixxer upper lathe but Northern IN sucks</font>
Shed,
Where in Indiana are you? I live in South
Bend and I just passed up on a Pulsa Tron
EDM because I'm out of space.
Maby I can Help you find something.
Bob Gerencser

------------------
Bob Indiana

spope14
07-31-2003, 04:33 PM
I have a bar feed and a chip conveyor - cheap, Conn River Valley, New Hampshire. Come and get it!!!!! No charge, and I may even buy lunch or dinner!!!!!

spope14
07-31-2003, 04:34 PM
Oh, and if it suits you, will throw in a case of Rolling Rock or Sam Adams, or a like beer!!!!

Shed Machinist
07-31-2003, 09:47 PM
Actually, I don't live to far from south bend but i need something that would suit me (Small and easy to get running). If only. But i have almost no money. Eventually i will get a lathe and i can wait a little while. Of course, I have to but i don't want to.

------------------
"A person who works with his hands is a laborer.

A person who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.

A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"

—Louis Nizer