PDA

View Full Version : Went to auction-bought plenty

wierdscience
07-26-2003, 10:54 PM
Went to an auction today,saw lots of stuff,nearly trampled by ebayers fighting over worn out tooling,saw several pieces of mid-sized fabrication equipment go for cheap.
I got the deal of the day on an old but good sheet metal slip roll,4'x3/16"capacity for $100.00-hey sometimes even the ugly ones get lucky http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Shed Machinist
07-26-2003, 11:00 PM
Good find

G.A. Ewen
07-26-2003, 11:25 PM
Ain't it great when it gets to be your turn! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//cool.gif

steve schaeffer
07-27-2003, 03:46 PM
speaking of ebayers, you really must wonder what is wrong with people, or if it is you yourself that has no clue whats going on when you see some of the junk sell for what it does. simply amazing. i know ive bid high and lost, and after thinking about it, i felt i was a jackass for bidding so high, but on the other hand what the hell was that guy thinking?

Bob Quale
07-27-2003, 03:52 PM
I have been bidding on Kwick Switch 200 end mill holders. I have lost every one, they sell for more then new sometimes, what are people thinking??

Bob

PS still end mill holderless.

Thrud
07-27-2003, 05:15 PM
steve schaeffer:
It's not what you pay for it on eBay, it is the fact that you are the weinner! (aaaaaaack!) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

...a sad commentary on auctions in general, I am afraid...

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 07-27-2003).]

gamachinist
07-27-2003, 05:33 PM
I know how you feel about the Kwik Switch tools Bob.I had to up my bids several times and still got out bid on eBay.I haven't seen any of it go for more than new price though(I have seen it as high as half new cost on end mill holders).The 200 series stuff goes for more than the 300.I guess a lot of the Bridgeport cnc's are selling used now and that is driving the price on the 200 series.
Now that I've bought all these tools,I guess I it gives me more incentive to get the machine operable!
Robert.

wierdscience
07-28-2003, 08:25 PM
How about Dumont broaches?Last set I saw go on ebay went for $243.00 used,new they are $263.00 go figure,I bid what I am willing to pay and not a penny more,if I need it for my shop I pay no more than 1/2 of new minus the shipping,If I plan to resale I pay 1/4 of new minus the shipping,because if I sell it seldom do I get more than half of new anyway.

I think to that some people have money to burn and like to prove it,I went to one auction were they had some 300 lb bundles of mixed brass round bar,We get to them and the auctioneer bids them as dutch,well this clown bids up to $650.00 per bundle and takes all,never mind that I get new brass in that quanity for about $1.65 per pound and it ain't all dinged up!
Then you have people who don't know what things cost,I've seen $30.00 Harbour Frieght chain falls sell for $80.00 and $100.00 used!

Rustybolt
07-28-2003, 10:09 PM
At an auction a long time ago I asked a guy why he was paying more for a used BP than it would cost new. His reply was that he would have this one making parts the next day as opposed to a year from now(thatwas the lead time for a new BP)Ther is a reason auctioneers cry the small lot stuff first ant any auction. its for the small timers that have money burning a hole in thier pocket can be gotten out of the way first. They're likely to lose interest toward the end of the day and not bid stuff up as high.

Thrud
07-29-2003, 05:20 AM
Rustybolt:
That guy was a retard. Hardinge is building BP's at warp speed - fastest they have ever been built and they are far superior to the crap BP made. Besides, there are cnc/manual machines like the Haas Toolroom mill - no excuse to be stupid and buy a bagged machine for more than new.

Rustybolt
07-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Thrud. That was may years ago.(25+)When you couldn't get a new machine for love or money and the economy was going great guns.One shop I worked in, the boss bought a couple of Index mills because he could get them delivered in a couple of weeks.

wierdscience
07-29-2003, 09:45 PM
This last auction a guy paid $865.00 for a $625.00 Grizzly bandsaw?
Buddy of mine bought a three phase wore out Rockwell radial arm saw for $65.00-only he thought he was buying a drill press-one word-novices-could do nothing for the first guy,educated my buddy on the finer points.But what can ya do?

jhusel
07-29-2003, 10:13 PM
Sounds like some good deals!!

I actually got a great deal on my Grizzly 9X19 lathe. I went to their annual tool sale (scratch and dent sale) and they had a brand new lathe that was in great shape with some missing parts. The lathe cost me $275 plus $60 in parts. It is up and running great now.....I just need to learn more about using it....ha!

jhusel

Thrud
07-30-2003, 02:02 AM
WS, Rusty

I remember an auction where a Canadian Tire roto-tiller (bagged) when for $400, but I could buy it new fro $250, yet an 18HP Diesel walk behind traction unit with front/rear pto & hydraulics c/w a 48" sidewalk brush sold for $200. Go Figure!

Sorry Rusty, I thought it was more recent than what you said. I think we are fortunate to live in a time when new BP's are far better than the old ones (big improvments by Hardinge) and competitive with its clones (Republic-Lagun, etc.) price wise.

G.A. Ewen
07-31-2003, 12:13 AM
Still some good deals on Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25297&item=2547164287

Ragarsed Raglan
08-01-2003, 01:14 PM
What about this crap?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2845543018&category=38564

Who would pay £5 ($8USD) for some guys grandads work boots???????

He couldn't even be bothered to polish them before ebaying them.....Shame on yer!
RR

[This message has been edited by Ragarsed Raglan (edited 08-01-2003).]