PDA

View Full Version : Man, ya gotta love machine tools!

DICKEYBIRD
12-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Had a 12 hr day at work, drag my butt home, ready for an evening of relaxed web surfin' but when I walk through the door wifey says "The front door lock is broken." I took it apart and found the little widget shaft is broken off from 31 yrs. of metal fatigue.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/LockFix1.jpg

I started to climb back in the van and go down to Home Cheepo for a new lock assembly but man, quality lock hardware is outta sight these days. I looked at the broken part a little closer and decided to see if I could whip up a replacement.

I found a bit of stainless rod (303 I think) and turned the basic shape in the lathe. I switched it into a 4 sided 5C collet block to mill the flats...the shaft had 3 flats and a radius...looks like the letter D. I had just made the collet ring spanner a couple weeks ago which made the next step dead easy. I turned it up vertical and cut the slot with the little 3 3/4", 24 tooth carbide blade I made an arbor for a while back....it cut the slot like a hot knife through butter. Man I love home-made tools when you really need them and they work perfect!:)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/LockFix2.jpg

Then, back to the lathe it went where it got parted it off to the proper length. It fits perfectly and is a much better piece than the old stamped POS. I love it! Zero cash outlay and a good, solid fix. Take THAT, Home Cheepo.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/LockFix3.jpg

ZINOM
12-15-2008, 11:52 PM
That......is satisfaction :)

Nice fix my friend.

John

torker
12-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Alright mister...you ain't getting off that easy...you gotta tell us what that collet block deal is all about. How the heck does it work? How you tighten the collet? Oh ya...tricky lil' fix you did. You shoulda said it cost you $100 tho.. Now fess up on the collet block... :D
Russ

dp
12-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Great job! I just did the same for this old house. A part of the front door latch had worn after 40+ years to where the bolt wouldn't retract enough to clear the striker plate. The tenants replaced it with a sub-par unit. My wife brought back the complete latch set. I found the problem, machined a replacement part, swaged it into place, and installed it on the door last week. It's a good solid brass casting with well made parts inside - should be good for another 40 years.

mlucek
12-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Alright mister...you ain't getting off that easy...you gotta tell us what that collet block deal is all about. How the heck does it work? How you tighten the collet? Oh ya...tricky lil' fix you did. You shoulda said it cost you $100 tho.. Now fess up on the collet block... :D
Russ
There a nut that you put on the back of the collet and tighten to pull the collet into the collet block. The collet block is keyed just like a chuck so the collet can not rotate once it's in the block. VERY handy when needed ! e.g. to hold round work on a mill just as DickeyBird is showing. Much easier then the equivalent V-block :)

There's also hex collet blocks for doing 6-sided work without the need for an indexing setup.

Ken_Shea
12-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Thumbs up, something about beating the system that really gives one satisfaction, even after a hard 12 hours, good going !

Mark Hockett
12-16-2008, 01:40 AM
Russ
Russ,
Here is a link showing the collet block,
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=950317&PMAKA=235-7050

BadDog
12-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Russ
Russ! You don't have a collet block set? Look, just sit down now and make out an order to Busy Bee or whatever. Get one!

Locate your nearest supplier and place an immediate order, this is not a drill. I repeat, this is NOT a drill...
:D

Seriously, if you have 5C collets and you do mill fabrication, you NEED these things. Makes it so easy to cut 2 parallel flats on opposite sides, 4 sided bolt heads, and I can't tell you how many hex-heads I've made for convenient wrench use. Made one just a few weeks ago on a "quick crank" chuck key for my lathe. It's got a much shorter handle for easy "spinning". The old one is like 14" and always hitting/hanging on something, plus it was so worn it was a very sloppy fit, though it doesn't slip. The new one lacks leverage, but there are several wrenches about my shop (for strap blocks, hold downs, and such) so I put a hex on the back so I can get extra leverage with a wrench, hand ratchet, air ratchet, impact, or whatever I decide. I've also used it for 90* cross holes and the list goes on.

Oh, and it closes either with a low profile spanner ring or a convenient cam-lever rig. You can even mount the blocks in a 3 or 4 jaw chuck for convenient collet holding without having to do a complete swap to the collet system for a single op (or to use a convenient e-collet or something).

Your Old Dog
12-16-2008, 06:08 AM
I agree with BadDog, man gotta own a collett block! Found many uses for them, in high winds they'll even work pretty well as paperweights. :D

DickeyBird, you're right, there is something very satisfying about making parts the hardware store don't have. Makes me feel like a machinist although I know better!

BTW, if you ever loose your full time job you could have a pretty good run at being a photographer. Damn nice images.

DICKEYBIRD
12-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Makes me feel like a machinist although I know better!
Hey YOD, I've seen your nice work posted here before so don't beat yourself up!

I'm no real machinist either but I tell you what; thanks to this forum and the good people on it, I can do a HECK of a lot more than I could when I started.:)

And thanks for the kind words on the pics. The little inexpensive pocket-sized Nikon I bought 4 yrs. ago never ceases to amaze me. Just give it enough light to turn off the auto flash and switch to macro when it's too close for the auto focus light to turn green and it'll always produce a usable image.

Hey Torker, I wish things were a little more financially stable here or I'd send you a collet block set for Christmas!:) It'd be worth it as payment for reading the daily episodes of "The Adventures of Torker." :D

Bill Pace
12-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Hey Torker, I wish things were a little more financially stable here or I'd send you a collet block set for Christmas!:) It'd be worth it as payment for reading the daily episodes of "The Adventures of Torker." :D

HEH!! shoot Dickybird, I'll go in halvey's with you on a set ... reading Russ antics is the highlight of my day too!!:p

torker
12-16-2008, 09:20 AM
LOL! Ok....I've seen them blocks in the catalogs. I "assumed" that the handle deal went on the top for quick release.
But really....the handle they show...is that to tighten the nut? Then the nut would sit on the vise?
Thanks!

DICKEYBIRD
12-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Sounds like a great offer Bill 'cept all I can afford is the idea! I'm so broke I can barely afford to pay attention. My wife says I'm so tight, I take my glasses off when I'm not lookin' at anything.:D

torker
12-16-2008, 09:28 AM
LOL! nah..I don't need nothing...my "antics" are free of charge... :D

japcas
12-16-2008, 09:29 AM
But really....the handle they show...is that to tighten the nut? Then the nut would sit on the vise?
Thanks!

Torker, the nut may or may not be square with the sides of the collet block. The best way is to check it with an indicator or use a precision square to ensure that it is standing straight up for maximum accuaracy.

torker
12-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Torker, the nut may or may not be square with the sides of the collet block. The best way is to check it with an indicator or use a precision square to ensure that it is standing straight up for maximum accuaracy.
Thanks! That's why I asked...I've always had problems with crooked nuts.. :D

quasi
12-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Torker, look at the price of these collet block sets at KBC, then have a look on Ebay!