PDA

View Full Version : Drywall Pump repair

madman
12-16-2008, 09:32 AM
This Unit has aaluminumn tube that has a dent in it which is not allowing the piston to go up and down,. NOW whats a good way of smoothing this dent out? Thanx Mike

madman
12-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Inside diameter of drywall pump tube is around 2 inches and a bit. thanx mike

Evan
12-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Is it owned or leased?

davidh
12-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Inside diameter of drywall pump tube is around 2 inches and a bit. thanx mike

i would turn down a hardwood block a few inches long and force it thru the tube. warm up the aluminum where the dent is with a heat gun or even a hair dryer. . . . easy to try anyway. . .

Evan
12-16-2008, 12:43 PM
It depend who owns it. Most mud bazookas (in Canada anyway) are leased because they cost so much and it's a captive market. It may be that the lessee isn't supposed to attempt repairs.

Rookie machinist
12-16-2008, 01:20 PM
You can by them in the states. If you own your own the wood dowel method above shoud work. If not I know you can buy the parts to fix it but they are way overpriced.

smiller6912
12-16-2008, 02:24 PM
I have a tool for removing dents in shotgun barrels, a similar approach may work for you. Basically you insert an anvil into the barrel and beat it up from the outside. It really works great but the tool is extremely expensive .
http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/0906/index1.html

Hey, just an idea...............

Evan
12-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Best way is to make an expanding mandrel out of some pipe a bit under 2" OD. Fix a plate to one end of the pipe to take a bolt that goes into a threaded tapered plug on the other end. Slit the pipe like a collet. Work it down to the dent and expand it a bit, loosen, advance, expand. Repeat as necessary.

lunkenheimer
12-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Would an exhaust pipe expander work? With a long extension and socket, of course... Or, look up Modern Gunsmithing on books.google.com and look in there for an idea of how to fix dented shotgun barrels, and expand on the idea (pun intended)