PDA

View Full Version : GEARS--Something all modellers should be aware of---

brian Rupnow
12-16-2008, 05:08 PM
I have recently been on a quest for gears to use on my models. This is something that I didn't know about. Pretty well all battery powered powertools have a whole whack of gears in them, and they are all excellent sizes for use in model engines. ALL of the disassembled gears in the attached picture came out of ONE power drill. They combine into one nest of planetary gears, similar to the assembled stack that I have shown. I went over and did a little creative begging at the local tool repair shop, and he gave me a whole basket full of these things, just for asking---they were destined for the garbage pickup.---Brian
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/gears001.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/gears005.jpg

S_J_H
12-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Yep, And the better ones will handle up to around 1hp! The robotics guys have been using these planetary sets for a while now.

This is my 3 speed planetary speed reducer for the horizontal line boring mill I am building. It has very low friction and is very rugged. I built it with triple input bearings and dual output bearings. Bronze bearings for the clutch and the high speed ratio. All the gears are from a cordless Makita hammer drill that was being thrown out by my brother in law since the batteries were no longer holding a charge.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n48/S_J_H/Horizontal%20boring%20mill/Stevesstuff.jpg
Steve

brian Rupnow
12-16-2008, 08:07 PM
SJH--You sir, are a far braver man than I. Damn, I thought I was pushing the envelope just building a little gear reducer for my model steam engine---
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/SPEEDREDUCER001.jpg

wierdscience
12-16-2008, 09:33 PM
You would be suprised what a skate board and a 14v cordless drill will move across the ground.

Another place to look are corded tools,drills of course.Side grinders have bevel gears and sometimes spiral bevel gears.Can openers and ice cream freezers are also targets.

Teenage_Machinist
12-17-2008, 12:40 AM
I ripped apart an old garage door opener. Got me a nice big motor (1/2 HP? Sounds like homebrew machine power) but all the gears were trashed. I also opened a bread machine. 1 nice AC motor for a toolpost grinder, a fan motor, but not gears.

winchman
12-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Another source of planetary gears would be the gear-reduction starters used on many late-model cars. Depending on the model, you'll find both metal and plastic ring gears.

Roger

darryl
12-17-2008, 01:53 AM
Funny, right at this moment I'm looking for a source of planetary gears- but what I need can't be more than 3/4 inch total outside diameter. I have a set from an old beta vcr that might work, I just have to find it. Plastic of course, but good enough for this project. Most vcrs are a source for several gears, including worm gears. Used to be that you could find lots in surplus type stores, in equipment of some kind. I can just imagine that a bomber sight would have lots of gears-

Pricey probably, but there are sets of planetary gears made for model electric motors. I doubt anybody would have much luck scrounging those, but maybe. Even cheesy cordless screwdrivers have planetary gearsets. When it comes to bevel gears, they're a little harder to find, at least for me. But they are available as parts for r/c models, and not too badly priced in some cases. I found a set of differential gears that are sintered and look pretty strong at least, for not too much moolah. I need to make another trip to the model wholesaler- found several sizes of ball bearings there for reasonable cost, all replacement parts for r/c models.

Evan
12-17-2008, 04:12 AM
Look for a ten turn potentiometer knob. They have a cute little planetary set built into the knob.

Evan
12-17-2008, 04:18 AM
I ripped apart an old garage door opener. Got me a nice big motor (1/2 HP? Sounds like homebrew machine power)

That motor isn't much good for anything. Garage door opener motors have a duty cycle rating of about 1 percent. You can't run one for more than a minute or so before it overheats. They are designed for one specific job; Run for 15 seconds and then wait a minute and run for another 15 seconds and then do nothing for hours.

GKman
12-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Another source of planetary gears would be the gear-reduction starters used on many late-model cars. Depending on the model, you'll find both metal and plastic ring gears.

Roger

I have had two of these starters apart lately and they didn't have planetary sets. In fact the gear ratios weren't much more than 1:1. Guess they just wanted the offset. One was for a Toyota about 2.0 L, and the other a 3.9 Cummings diesel. Could you give examples of starters with planetary gear sets?

More photos of those cool winches please.

S_J_H
12-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Damn, I thought I was pushing the envelope just building a little gear reducer for my model steam engine

Oh heck no. This little triple planetary set can deliver some serious power for it's size! With the stock motor it delivered 560 oz/in torque.
This is the tool it came from!- http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100594820&N=10000003+90401+501461+1240

Steve

Thruthefence
12-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Here's a DeWalt powered tow bar for small aircraft:

http://www.littlestarproducts.com/default.asp?upage_id=&apage_id=

chipmaker4130
12-17-2008, 09:56 AM
GKman, my 1999 Olds Intrigue 305 V6 is planetary.

Dawai
12-17-2008, 10:07 AM
I bought two HF batt drills for a insect walker robot..

HOW to get the chuck off them without destroying the shaft? I designed it around the motor head and battery.. not the chuck..

There is a hidden screw in the center.. but.. it must be pressed on while hot or?? I put enough on it with a home made puller to piss me off.. if I trash one??

Anyways they sell the drills for less than a battery.. Or did..

bruto
12-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Old Mopar starters often were planetary, but I'm not sure if that was universal. I've run across a few Japanese planetary ones. The Jeep Cherokee has one, and a Nissan 200SX I recently dealt with also had one. Expensive little things they are, too.

bruto
12-17-2008, 10:22 AM

HOW to get the chuck off them without destroying the shaft? I designed it around the motor head and battery.. not the chuck..

There is a hidden screw in the center.. but.. it must be pressed on while hot or?? I put enough on it with a home made puller to piss me off.. if I trash one??

Anyways they sell the drills for less than a battery.. Or did.. They're usually threaded on. The screw keeps them from unscrewing when you run in reverse.

vmil3
12-17-2008, 10:32 AM
The little screw is usually Left Hand thread, and the chuck is Right Hand thread.

Thomas Staubo
12-17-2008, 10:33 AM

The screw in the center is usually left-hand threaded.

If you cannot loosen the screw , maybe you can drill the screw out (if you're lucky the drill will loosen and screw it out).

Then, you clamp the chuck on a large Allen wrench and whack the Allen wrench with a hammer to unscrew the chuck (normal way, chuck is not left-hand threaded).

Evan
12-17-2008, 10:33 AM
There is more to it than the screw. I can't get the chuck off the one I took apart either.

davidh
12-17-2008, 11:47 AM
oh boy, something i know something about . . . the screw down the center could be either rh or lh. i have found soume that WILL NOT loosen up at all.

most of them, i stick the end of the torch down inside the chuck as far as i can and still keep it lit, heat is your friend here. if nothing else you will probably soften the damn screw. a colbalt dirll bit will drill the heads sometimes.

if you can get it out, then install a hex something into the chuck and spin it off with a 1/2" impact and a socket. again, heat is your friend. all chucks i have replaced are r.h. thread, just different sizes.

if the screw is not removable you will need to saw the chuck off at about the end of the screw with a die grinder and a cut off wheel. after you get most of the chuck removed that way, you may need to slice it parallel to the output shaft, carefully so as to not cut too big of grooves in the output shaft.

the only hand too i have seen with a drive on taper chuck is the older milwaukee electric. no screws in that one, just taper.

hope this helps.

S_J_H
12-17-2008, 01:28 PM
The chuck on my output shaft was a real PITA to remove. The center screw is left hand thread and also had plenty of thread locker on it.
1/2-20 RH thread for the chuck.

Steve

darryl
12-18-2008, 04:18 AM
The screw is left hand thread. Did somebody say that? :)

Sometimes it helps if you use some impact on the screw head before trying to remove it. Just a piece of 1/4 inch rod and a hammer is all it takes. To remove the chuck afterwards, , clamp one end of the rod in the chuck and clamp the other end in a vice. Then run the drill in reverse and let the detent torque limiter do its thing for awhile.

brian Rupnow
12-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Yesterday and today I worked building a small 8:1 gear reducer from some of the gears that I salvaged earlier this week. Here is a video of it running, powered by one of my homebuilt steam engines.---Brian
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/th_REDUCERRUNNINGPOWEREDBYSTEAMENGINE.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/?action=view&current=REDUCERRUNNINGPOWEREDBYSTEAMENGINE.flv)

dockrat
12-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Great work Brian!!!!! Love it. Torker!!!! pay attention here....you need this for your welding positioner :D