PDA

View Full Version : OT Import Fakes at Christmas (or any time)

nheng
12-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Australian UGG boots went from being UGGly to becoming a fashion statement prized by many young women. Several years ago, the company began producing many of their boots in mainland China.

My wife bought a pair from a web seller, uggcenter.com , to replace genuine ones we bought our daughter several Christmas ago. The price was ok, $99 plus free shipping vs $130 locally (let's not go there :) ).

The company claims "hassle free returns for any reason" within 30 days but then on another page in contract form, says all "exchanges" must be processed within 5 days of receipt. Only defective merchandise will be exchanged.

The boots arrived, direct from China with Chinese air bill across the front of it and the entire box wrapped and hidden in tan plastic tape.

The boots looked pretty good, the fur felt odd but the first clue was that they fit tight ... this for a product that UGG says will be a size larger.

Sorry to take so long to get to the more interesting topic and that is the level to which these things have been cloned and those clones perfected. Every fake ID spot check is passed with flying colors. "Missing trademarks" on the soles are present on ours. Stitched label above the heel is flawless, perfect fonts and sizes compared to genuine. The list goes on and on but the point is that every bit of information presented on the web has apparently been processed and put back into the tooling, labeling, etc.

To make a long story short, one quick call to UGG Australia at noon today confirmed that they are definitely fake. First, "UGG" appearing in ANY domain name immediately indicates fake. Secondly, UGG cannot ship product from China, nor can any of its reps. The model number is for a short boot and this one has tall all over the box and product.

To one more knowledgable about skins and furs, the fur would probably also be another clue. And finally, we're left with the size issue. Should be a great fit and instead, fit like a $99 torniquette.

We know there are loads of fakes out there, especially in women's accessory lines. There were other warning signs, such as the grammar at the web site and lack of contact information other than a hotmail address and paypal.

Just a reminder to be aware of the number of crooks out there and the extremes they have gone to in some cases to create a near perfect fake.

Takes us 6 weeks to make a tooling change on plastic parts from China, bet it took 6 minutes to change the tooling on those soles :(

bollie7
12-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Are you saying that my $10 Rolex might not be genuine? LOL

Anyway, if you want ridgy didge aussie sheepskin boots have a look at this site.
http://www.mortels.com.au/shop/home.php

they are not far from where I live.

Keep in mind that the price in US dollars will be lower than the Aus$ price on the website.
They are good value if you don't let pets chew on them. My last pr I had for about 17years, the pr I have now are about 6 yrs old. Mind you I only wear them inside.

regards

bollie7

BadDog
12-16-2008, 10:25 PM
$99 on-line vs $130 local isn't the same as a $10 Rolex. I frequently get similar deals on "real" stuff due to the lack of "brick-n-mortar" overheads.

Anything I buy on-line I buy with Credit Card. I would not hesitate to do a charge back and file a complaint...

BillH
12-16-2008, 11:07 PM
I sold some "Factory Variant" Air Jordan sneakers on Ebay. I went out of my way to inform the buyer that these things are NOT NIKE.. He didn't care!
Long story short, my friend bought a crate full of these things from China to resell on ebay. His dad flipped out, I sold them for him. Lost money on some, made money on most of them.

dp
12-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Just too timely - the banner ad I got for this thread is for Ugg products not from the official Ugg place, but from some place in Hollywood. I hate targeted ads and I don't like being profiled.

nheng
12-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Some sort of robot would have to be examining this site but it would have to be tied to the ad server ... I think.

I'm running a pop blocker so do not see anything.

Den

nheng
12-17-2008, 01:43 AM
These ads suck and VP is going to hear about it!

I turned off the blocker and my cookies.

First refresh ... CNC equipment, 2nd refresh ... more CNC equipment, 3rd refresh, etc. etc. and then UGG boots from somebody.

You can thank Google Ads for this contextually targeted ad and our sponsor for using them.

IMHO, they are an invasion of our little pocket of private talk ... machine talk that is.

Here's the scoop on them ... http://services.google.com/feedback/abg?url=http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php%3Fs%3Dd375e4aea7d5ab8742858cbc74980 8a9%26t%3D32091&hl=en&client=ca-pub-8765411995449318&adU=www.EILATAN.com&adT=ImageAd&exp=Ads+by+Goooooooogle&done=1

Den

oldtiffie
12-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Well,

if you don't like the OZ "Ugg" boots, this "real deal" item may appeal.

http://www.australiagift.com/scrotum_shop/scrotum.htm

Some sort of robot would have to be examining this site but it would have to be tied to the ad server ... I think.

I'm running a pop blocker so do not see anything.

Den

In the dim dark past I'd have been more worried if "Mom" was running a "Pop blocker"

nheng
12-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Let's see what pops up now.

Will it be free prostate exams or various enhancers for your love life :)

Bollie7, thanks for the NSW sheep shop link. Looks like good stuff.

dp
12-18-2008, 01:08 AM
These ads suck and VP is going to hear about it!

I turned off the blocker and my cookies.

First refresh ... CNC equipment, 2nd refresh ... more CNC equipment, 3rd refresh, etc. etc. and then UGG boots from somebody.

You can thank Google Ads for this contextually targeted ad and our sponsor for using them.

IMHO, they are an invasion of our little pocket of private talk ... machine talk that is.

Den
The problem with targeted ads is they devolve to a monotheistic chant based on what the analyzer thinks you want to hear. Because that is what it thinks that is what you hear and because that is what you hear that reaffirms that is what it thinks you wish to hear. It happens on the Google search engine, too. I'm a Unix systems admin and I need Unix information from time to time. I use an Apple Mac to browse with so naturally Google thinks I want to see Mac stuff. I have to wade through a lot of crap because somebody somewhere thinks they're getting inside my head. What they are getting is inside my red zone where I burn slow and hot.

That is how the banner ads strike me. I don't like having my actions profiled and I don't like being fed crap from some bot that thinks it has a handle on my interests. If anything can be said for printed magazines it is that the ads don't try to follow you around the web.

Google isn't alone - Yahoo shares cookies with apparently everyone with an open checkbook. If you are a member of a Yahoo group then be sure everyone with a Yahoo partner account knows what you're doing even while away from yahoo groups.

It's no wonder Al Gore has given up on evangelizing the Internet and is promoting global warming scams. The Internet is approaching scammer saturation.

Dawai
12-18-2008, 02:27 AM
Want to really get mad? type in Autocooker in ebay search.. it comes back with autococker no matter how you feel about paintball guns..

Autocooker is a low-grease cooker..

It corrects for you.. no more searching out ads from people who can't spell "S$$$" if they had a mouth full.

lazlo
12-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Google isn't alone - Yahoo shares cookies with apparently everyone with an open checkbook.

A big difference though is that Google scans your gmail for targeted ads (and God knows what else), and Yahoo doesn't do that.

I replied to a Gmail from MickeyD about the results of my Wife's mammogram (we're have a cancer scare right now), and I'm getting all sorts of ads about cancer treatment.

Try it: send a bogus email about some obscure topic (VFD's, dog training, Ugg boots), and you'll start getting targeted ads about those topics.