PDA

View Full Version : It's all Fasttracks fault

rmack898
12-17-2008, 07:02 AM
When I made the decision to replace my one lathe with 2 lathes, I spent alot of time researching what 2 lathes to look for to replace my SB13. My online searches for a bigger lathe kept turning up Pacemaker, and Fasttrack was usually in there someplace. Pacemaker went to the top of my want list and the search was started.

Hit pay dirt yesterday. What I really wanted was a 14x30 with the 2K spinlde speed option, what I found was a 14x54 with a 27 speed 1K top end. The lathe looks like a wreck but it's actually in very good mechanical shape. It comes with a 10" 3-jaw, TA, Micrometer stop, thread dial, and Aloris post. After a bit of TLC it will make a very nice addition to my shop, I just have to make room for it. I found it only an hour away from home and I will pick it up after Jan 1st.

Thanks to Tom for leading me in the right direction :)

I also scored the second lathe this week too but I'll save that for later

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa249/rmack898/DSCN1205.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa249/rmack898/DSCN1204.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa249/rmack898/DSCN1203.jpg

torker
12-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Mac...that's going to be a fine lathe...once you get er all painted green :D
Good score!

Greg Menke
12-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Green is a "valid" ATW color, seen on several ATW High Duty machines- don't recall a green Pacemaker though. Most definitely not a different color on the carriage however.

Regards,

Greg

torker
12-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Greg...you missed the joke.....many times by the sound of it..

Evan
12-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Do a search on "green" here. :D

I need a slighty larger lathe but not that big. What I really need is a couple of inches more swing. I am considering jacking up the SB to see how it works. It sure wouldn't be difficult to do.

torker
12-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Ummm..Mac...you're holding out on the boys here... Come on..fess up what else you got...
(Lucky bugger.....)
Russ

Fasttrack
12-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Hey Mac - Glad to hear you found such a wonderful machine. I saw your thread over on the PM. Glad it worked out for you!

That is one hell of a machine. 54" is a great size, imo. That was the only real complaint I had with my two Pacemakers; they are only 30's. The hard ways are nice too. Everyone told me I'd be spoiled after using my Pacemakers and I have to aggree! I've done quite a bit of work to an old 14" Cinci traytop here at the university and it looks like junk compared to the Pacemakers. Even in rough shape, they are a better buy than many other machines out there, imo. I think you'll find that they are quite pleasing to fix up as well as use!

I don't mean to sound condescending of other people's machines. You buy what you can, when you can, and use what you've got! But, if your lucky enough to find a Pacemaker for a reasonable price, don't pass it up! :D

Hey if you want any documentation, pm your email address. I've got quite a few manuals in pdf format from various places, including John Oder over at the PM. I've also got the user manual and parts breakdown in print from ebay.

edit: Oh, about the speed issue. Personally, I think you'll find that 1000 rpm is plenty fast enough. Its pretty unlikely that you'll need anything higher on such a large machine. A second smaller, "high speed" lathe is handy to have around for dinky little aluminum pieces, for instance. BUT you can swap out the pulley on the motor to increase your top end speed. The headstock is the same on all three versions, only the pulley ratio was changed.

rmack898
12-17-2008, 06:42 PM
It's not that I want to gloat :rolleyes: but I did buy 2 lathes this week.

The Pacemaker will provide the balls that the South Bend lacks, and this one will provide the finesse. This one came really well tooled but it's a 18 hour round trip to pick it up, I leave on Dec 27 :cool:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa249/rmack898/Monarch10EE_03.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa249/rmack898/Monarch10EE_02.jpg

I'll miss the SB but I'm sure I can find someone that will give it a good home.

I'm not glaoting. I'm not gloating. I'm not gloating. I'm not gloating.

Fasttrack
12-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Do a search on "green" here. :D

I need a slighty larger lathe but not that big. What I really need is a couple of inches more swing. I am considering jacking up the SB to see how it works. It sure wouldn't be difficult to do.

Aww come on Evan... its not that big. Only four inches more swing than your SB. :)

Fasttrack
12-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Holy Sh*t Mac! You just went from a SB to (arguably) two of the best lathes ever made! The 10EE and Pacemaker combo is the goal I am struggling towards. That or a HLV. To me that is the best lathe combo - a big beast that is still capable of an extreme degree of precision but is meant to move serious metal (Pacemaker, L&S Powerturn, etc) and a smaller lathe for a high degree of accuracy and can handle the tiny parts that you just can't "feel" in a larger.

Nicely done for sure! That is a beautiful machine.

rmack898
12-17-2008, 06:55 PM
A second smaller, "high speed" lathe is handy to have around for dinky little aluminum pieces.

Ya think I'll be able to hande dinky little aluminum pieces?:rolleyes:

BadDog
12-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Ok mac, it's official... I hate you.... ;)

torker
12-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Ok mac, it's official... I hate you.... ;)
Russ...you leave my new stepdad alone dammit.

BadDog
12-17-2008, 08:55 PM
What, you in the will? ;)

Fantastic looking machine, want to adopt me? I'm much easier to get along with than the other Russ :p

Rich Carlstedt
12-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Two of the most Awesome lathes ever built.
I think there will be a new movie out after Christmas, called
" Mac in Wonderland"

Congratulations.

macona
12-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Mac, I would not use that big three jaw with the 10EE. That is just way too massive for that spindle.

The 8" Cushman chucks that came with the 10EE were lightened chucks speced for 4K rpm. They have an integral D1-3 connection on them.

mark61
12-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the club! I love my monster too! When I bought it I swaped out the 15 hp motor for a 5 hp motor. Have not noticed the difference ,but I also don't hog off 1/2" off the diameter at home like I sometimes do at work. Did yours come with a steady rest and taper attachment? I had to make a home made steady rest since mine did not come with it. Would like to find an OEM. Mine does have the taper attachment. Remeber to check the chuck attachment nut for tightness!

mark61

rmack898
12-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Jerry, that 8" 3-jaw is a set-tru and that makes it even bigger and it won't be used on this lathe. Mostly collets and and a 6" 4-jaw.

Mark, The pacemaker does have a taper attachment but no steady. I have a line on a steady for it and if it doesn't pan out, I'll probably wind up making my own as you did.

Oldbrock
12-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Holy **** Mac. Get Those Chucks Off The Bed.

HSS
12-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Hey Greg, how bout a green pacemaker:D
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/goochiepepper/greenpacemaker.jpg
Took this today.

Pat

rmack898
01-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm running about a week behind but I finally got the first one in and done. It was a little over 1000 mile round trip to Maine to get the 10EE.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa249/rmack898/DSCN1243.jpg

I made up some hockey puck machine mounts ( finding hockey pucks in a Jersey seashore town aint easy)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa249/rmack898/DSCN1254.jpg

It's in, leveled, wired up and ready to go to work.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa249/rmack898/DSCN1260.jpg

If anyone's interested, I have my SB in the FS section over on PM. Next week I'll start making plans to get the Pacemaker home. Getting that unloaded and into the shop should be quite the adventure, I'll take plenty of pictures of that move.

wierdscience
01-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Yep,I would say that you officially suck.

Can I be in your will?:D

torker
01-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Yep,I would say that you officially suck.

Can I be in your will?:D
Sorry...I beat you too it...I'm all packed..ready to move in, as soon as the Pacemaker is setup and running. :D
I like the looks of my new home to be...no snow!!! (and the lathe of course)

lazlo
01-07-2009, 07:24 PM
It's not that I want to gloat :rolleyes: but I did buy 2 lathes this week.

Wow, that's a gorgeous restoration of that 10EE! Someone put a thousand hours into rebuilding it and then sold it?? :eek:

Fasttrack
01-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Yep... that is really beautiful. Surprised anyone was willing to let it go, regardless of price!

I like the shrink-wrap. Alot easier than wrestling with tarps, I bet. We used to get that stuff donated from a boat house and we'd use it for our "high mileage vehicle" back in highschool. Nice lightweight way of making an aerodynamic body. I guess its like monokote on model planes.

bhjones
01-14-2009, 07:32 PM
As a guy who lives in Maine that has had to make the trip to the NY/NJ/PA general area to pick up machines and stuff many times, "I feel your pain".

This state is a machine tool desert, so there is a certain amount of irony that you made the trip north to pick up such a nice machine.

I'm running about a week behind but I finally got the first one in and done. It was a little over 1000 mile round trip to Maine to get the 10EE.

rmack898
01-14-2009, 08:35 PM
This state is a machine tool desert

Brett,

The most amazing thing about this is that we had to drive out to the rocky coast in the middle of nowhere, down a dead end road to find a house in the middle of the woods that had a typical New England style detached garage only to find it contained one of the most pristine, well equiped, modern shops that we had ever seen.

I guess every desert has an oasis.

Fasttrack
01-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Whew... every time I see this thread, I think I'm the subject of one of those "flame wars" that have been popping up lately. :D

rmack898
01-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I think I'm the subject of one of those "flame wars" that have been popping up lately. :D

But you are, you just don't know it.

I got busted yesterday bringing home an old Burke #4 horizontal and before she could say a word I just looked at her and said "It's all Fasttracks fault":D

TGTool
01-14-2009, 09:49 PM
I got busted yesterday bringing home an old Burke #4 horizontal and before she could say a word I just looked at her and said "It's all Fasttracks fault":D

Hey Fasttrack. Thanks, man!! Now I know how to get that Cincinnati past my gatekeeper.

wierdscience
01-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Heck,I'm going into to work tomorrow and order up a new DRO,a Troyke rotab and what the hell a new Lincoln SA400 diesel rig.And when asked why I'll just say-

Fasttrack made me do it:D

Scishopguy
01-15-2009, 05:19 PM
I always loved the sound that our Pacemaker made when you pushed the start button. It just sounded like....Power. That is one of the most enjoyable lathes I ever ran. That said, I like the Monarch series 61 and the old WWII Monarch pretty well too, but there has always been something about that Pacemaker that just gets in your blood. Mac and Fastrack, I am jelous. :D