PDA

View Full Version : Carriage stop

Carld
12-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Well, I finally took the time to make a carriage stop I have wanted since I bought this lathe in the middle '90's. I don't know exactly how long it took to make it and should have kept tract of the time but I think I have about 20+/- hrs in it. I have had the wheel with the marks for a long time waiting for me to make something. It has a 1/2" 10 Acme thread and I bought some threaded rod and started the project. Designing and machining it on the fly was tricky sometimes but by mentally planning well ahead all the time it worked ok.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/carriagestop.jpg

Evan
12-17-2008, 10:14 AM
That is about the best idea I have seen for a carriage stop.

J Harp
12-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Hey Carl

That's neat, No one should ask "where's the beef" on that one. I like the way you used the corner of the block for the index line.

Carld
12-17-2008, 10:27 AM
I did the same thing years ago when I made a carriage stop for the Logan lathe my son has now. I wanted it to be lower on the way but I didn't have a piece of metal the shape I needed so it is a little higher and closer to the way than I really wanted.

I guess the benefit of that is it is more compact than it would have been and easier to machine the V by not droping it lower on the way.

I have used a dial indicator till now and it's always a hassle doing that as the indicator is easy to knock out while working and sometimes I didn't have room for the indicator when machining close to the headstock. I don't think this carriage will move with three bolts clamping it to the way.

jkilroy
12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Any idea where that graduated wheel came from? I *hate* cutting graduation lines, between being ADD and having the phone ring I have to restart too many times :D

torker
12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Carl..that thing is very cool! Now...where the heck are the pinch bolts to hold it on the way?
Russ

hitnmiss
12-17-2008, 10:38 AM
I like it.

How's it clamp to the way?

torker
12-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Eeerch! OK..does one rev of that wheel give .070?

Boucher
12-17-2008, 10:48 AM
My lathe came with a factory stop. It sure doesn't look as good as yours. I hope you find it as usefull as I have.

hornluv
12-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Eeerch! OK..does one rev of that wheel give .070?

I think you're reading the wheel upside down. What looks like 06 is actually 90 or .090". 1/2-10 would give a .100 advance per revolution. Nice job Carl!

torker
12-17-2008, 11:02 AM
I think you're reading the wheel upside down. What looks like 06 is actually 90 or .090". 1/2-10 would give a .100 advance per revolution. Nice job Carl!
Oh GEEZ! Yer right! Carry on Carl...

DFMiller
12-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Carl,
Very nice job. I would love to see some more details of your project. It looks like you have given lots of thought to it and come up with a winner.
More pics or a short article and some drawing would be nice. I need to make one soon.

Duffy
12-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I agree with DF, Carl. I too need a carriage stop and I have a Logan.I am currently agonizing over cutting some 1/2" 10 LH thread for my shaper, so I better cut some extra in anticipation.

Teenage_Machinist
12-17-2008, 06:01 PM
How did you cut the v-groove?

pcarpenter
12-17-2008, 06:10 PM
I have had grand plans to make one for a long time. When I found a chance to buy a replacement for the dinged up depth stop wheel on my Bridgeport, I took the old one and chucked it up and removed some of the dings. I turned the mashed knurling down and re-knurled it at a smaller diameter...and then stuck the thing in my box of "when I get time project parts" with the intent of doing the same thing you did. It's 1/2-20 threaded too and I even now have the threaded rod bought to do the same...but alas I haven't gotten around to it.

In any case, good minds think alike, but some guys get the job done before others :rolleyes:

You really did nice work!
Paul

Errol Groff
12-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Here is how I tackled the same project. Yours look great BTW.

http://neme-s.org/SB_Carriage_Stop/making_replacement_carriage_stop.htm

Errol Groff

pcarpenter
12-17-2008, 06:47 PM
TM-- I don't know how he did his v-groove, but since its 45 degrees, its easy enough to tip the work 45 degrees in a vise and just use an end mill to plow a straight groove.

paul

lazlo
12-17-2008, 06:52 PM
I also like using the edge as the micrometer pointer -- subtle and so elegant that Torker can't read it :D

Like the other posters have asked -- how are you clamping it?

BadDog
12-17-2008, 06:53 PM
TM-- I don't know how he did his v-groove, but since its 45 degrees, its easy enough to tip the work 45 degrees in a vise and just use an end mill to plow a straight groove.

paul
That's the way I do it...

I figure the only place the pinch bolts could be is on the bottom going up. I saw one with a really nice cam lock that I'll be using on my next...

Spin Doctor
12-17-2008, 07:55 PM
One problem with this style is that chips will eventually find their way into the slot. One reason I like the idea of using some sort of micrometer style barrel and spool set-up.

Carld
12-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the compliments.

I don't have a clue where I got the wheel, I've had it for over 20 years. It's 10 tpi so one turn is .100".

I did the V groove in V blocks. I didn't want to kick the head off so after I flycut and surface ground the block I put it in a V block and cut the V for the way. I put a piece of 1/2" drill rod in the hole and clamped it down with standard mill clamps.

The slot where the wheel is has an opening in the bottom for chips to fall out of or be blown out of. The fit between the wheel and block is very snug as is the reamed hole where the threaded rod is.

When I used the carriage stop I made for my old Logan I always put a small piece of rag over it to keep the chips out much like I put over the lens of dial indicators that I use as a carriage travel indicator. Things are so much easier with a positive stop for the carriage than using a dial indicator.

There is a plate under it that is held on with three bolts because I don't want to bump it and have it move. I guess I'll take some more photo's of the details. I don't have plans because I did it on the fly, that is, I worked it out in my head as I built it. I planed it out in my mind before I started and stayed far enough ahead to keep from machining myself in a corner :D .

Carld
12-17-2008, 10:50 PM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/PC170001.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/PC170002.jpg