PDA

View Full Version : New guy here...Lathe help needed...Milling/tapering

jhusel
07-29-2003, 08:30 PM
Ok I just picked up a 9" X 19" Grizzly Metal lathe. I am very new to this but have a good bit of experience with welding, fabrication, stone carving and wood working. I want to learn quite a bit but need some advice.

Milling Attachment - What would you all recommend for my lathe?

Tapering - I have seen several attachments that you can make or buy to help make this easier. One had an attachment that went on the center point and one on the chuck/vise. Where would I find one of these?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Jhusel

Al Messer
07-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Can't help you with the taper attachment but you can't go wrong with a Palmgren Milling Attachment or a foreign knock off, just remember its limitations and lack of rigidity.

Oso
07-29-2003, 11:17 PM
If I am not mistaken, that machine has a crosslide with a flat top that has some boltholes in it. You could attach tooling like the Metal Lathe Accessory milling attachment kits to it fairly easily if that is the case.

Therefore, you can do better than the Palmgren, or at least have a more solid base for one.

For a taper setup, you are likely on your own. Ask them if there is one available?

Thrud
07-30-2003, 01:09 AM
Royal makes an offset micrometer adjustable center but it only comes in MT#4.

Boring heads can be adapted for the same duty.

You will also find that making a set of ball centers (braze a Carbide or Steel ball bearing to the end of a center that has been cupped to accept the ball) for your lathe will permit consistant and accurate manufacturing of tapers.

Axel
08-03-2003, 10:28 AM
look at "varmint al's" page!

G.A. Ewen
08-03-2003, 11:01 AM
In the June/July 2001 Machinist's Workshop there is an artical on page 8, "Build a Lathe Milling Attachment" by Marsh Collins.