PDA

View Full Version : Putnam end mills

Bob Ford
12-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Just received my order of Cobalt Putnam end mills from ENCO. Boxes say Putnam, end mills clearly marked made in South Africa. No Putnam name on them. Thought they were made in USA. They look good and time will tell if they hold up.

Bob

nheng
12-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I would send them back with no questions asked. Don't be a guinea pig for some marketing clowns. There are too many around today. I've run into this with some other machining products where it became obvious that the company was "testing the waters" with a product oem'ed from some unknown source. Den

Evan
12-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Putnam is part of the Kennametal IPG (Industrial Products Group). Kennametal has manufacturing facilities in South Africa.

nheng
12-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Ok, send 'em back to South Africa ;)

Forgot about Kennametal. Most of my Putnams were under Greenfield ownership. One that I bought in the last 6 months from MSC just says Putnam tools on the tube and made in usa, but no Putnam, on the mill.

Guess they're getting to be like bearings, could be from any subsidiary. There was a statement from SKF regarding this that basically said "don't expect any differences in price or quality" from any of their plants around the world.

Nice if it is true.

Teenage_Machinist
12-17-2008, 08:15 PM
That explains why Putnam end mills are so inexplicably cheap...

Would you reccomend them over Chinese end mills still? South Africa is not exactly China.

Evan
12-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Kennametal also has manufacturing facilities in China.

ulav8r
12-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Received a batch of Kennametal toolholders yesterday, some were made in US, some in Britain, some in India.

lazlo
12-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Forgot about Kennametal. Most of my Putnams were under Greenfield ownership.

Kennametal owns Greenfield.

beckley23
12-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I've been buying Putnam single end end mills from MSC for a couple of years. So far, they are excellent cutters, outlasting others I've used.
Harry

wierdscience
12-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't buy Putnam anymore specifically,not that they are bad,but I get the same endmills in the KBC store brand.They show up as English,Polish,Spainish,Macedonian and Russian.The Spainish ones are my faves,razor blade sharp.

Higher quality can be had from OSG,but expect to pay more.

recoilless
12-17-2008, 10:56 PM
I buy Putnam as a garden variety brand end mill, seem to work decently for me but nothing to set off any firework over. Just look for them on sale(ENCO).

IIRC, they stopped being advertised as made in USA about a year ago. Maybe I'm dreaming...

Bob Ford
12-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks guys! Seems that we do live in a worldwide market. North American company. Made in ??

Bob

nheng
12-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Cr-p ! This means drills that by Cleveland, Chicago Latrobe and tools from Greenfield, etc. can all come from any corner of the world. That really sucks.

At least change the damned names !

lazlo
12-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Higher quality can be had from OSG,but expect to pay more.

I'm a big fan of OSG as well -- their taps, dies, drills and endmills are superb.

Cr-p ! This means drills that by Cleveland, Chicago Latrobe and tools from Greenfield, etc. can all come from any corner of the world. That really sucks.

Kennametal still does most of it's manufacturing in the 'States, and it seems like they clearly mark the Made in USA stuff correctly.

The exception is Hertel, which used to be a German company, but when Kennametal bought them it seems like they outsourced their manufacturing to India and China as their "budget" brand. Not sure about Circle C, which Kennametal also owns.

By the way, I bought a Hertel NT 50 to ER-40 collet chuck, and was disappointed that it was made in India, but the fit and finish is fantastic, and I can barely measure the runout. On the flip side, I've seen several posts on PracticalMachinist where folks were unhappy with Hertel, so YMMV...

GRH
12-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I have found the ATRAX brand solid carbide by Enco to be the best as they keep their edge when the HSS ones don't especially if milling tough steel or cast iron plus on aluminum they do not tend to get the aluminum chips stuck on them.

Regards Graeme

platypus2020
12-18-2008, 10:26 AM
I have great luck with the end mills from Titan USA, made in Mass.

Jack

Evan
12-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Dormer, made in Europe and available in this town is one of the very best. They cost like it too. They are a part of Sandvik Group.

lazlo
12-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah, Dormer (and Sandvik) are really great too. You might have noticed that MSC doesn't carry Sandvik -- they're not an authorized dealer.

MSC didn't use to carry Kennametal either, which is why they bought J&L Industrial, which was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kennametal.

bobw53
12-18-2008, 02:54 PM
I have great luck with the end mills from Titan USA, made in Mass.

Jack

Baldwin St. in W. Springfield, they just re-badge and warehouse them, I was told by one person they get the majority of their endmills from a small grinder in Buffalo. They are good quality endmills at a decent price, however if you look around and contact some of the smaller tool distributors (skip the big guys) they can turn you on to some high quality low cost USA made endmills churned out by small grinders all over the country.

pcarpenter
12-18-2008, 03:37 PM
I have a Hertel drill set bought a year or so ago and its US made. Unfortunately, its roll stamped with the size on the bottom of every drill, creating "raised letters". Its nothing a fine belt on the belt sander can't clean up, but if you don't do it, you are asking for the bit to spin because of a poor grip on the bit. I am sure its more durable in a way than just etching the sizes on them, but if it causes the bit to spin, you will chew the lettering up and make the drill less than round, so it pays to smooth them up first.

At any rate, it would appear that Hertel (which I understood was a Kennametal company) products are made in a variety of places.

Paul

Teenage_Machinist
12-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Must remeber that USA made does not mean best--- Starrett indicators are apparently widely hated. But Putnam endmills seemed inexplicably cheap on Enco on sale, while other non-China endmills were quite costly. Seems like they might be the ones to get. I only use HSS due to having only a small machine and my first set is starting to get rather dull.

Evan
12-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Dormer bits are black oxide and the size is somehow inscribed in gold. It doesn't come off and is easy to read.