PDA

View Full Version : Lathe face Plates

uncle pete
12-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I really hope someone can help with this, What I'm looking for is a 18" dia. D1-6 mount lathe face plate. Money is an issue so a cheap chinese slotted face plate would work just fine as it's going to be faced flat before use.

Have searched the web with no real luck, MSC,ENCO do not even list them, Even tried Grizzly and tried to order 14" dia. that comes with their G0484 lathe. As I didn't buy the lathe they can't or won't sell this to me even with me offering to pick it up at the Bellingham store. so questions are, Why hardly anyone even list's them, I can think of numerous job's that could'nt be done with any other system of part holding. Have found a few used one"s but prices run around $ 1000.00 u.s. and then who knows how bad the D1-6 mount has been beat on, A grand for a USED face plate??? I don't think so!!!

Yes I could order a D1-6 back plate, order some 1 1/2- 2" thick steel or aluminum and build one but with metal cost's plus shipping this will cost more than a cast iron chinese face plate, Since I live in southern b.c. a supplier close to me would be a definite bonus. And just to make it a little tougher I really need this shipped and in my hands before jan. 14th as this face plate is going to be used in south westeren ontario and the end user will be driving back there at that time. SO anybody have any leads on this? Western u.s./canada will work for me. THANKS IN ADVANCE to anyone that can help me out on this problem.

Pete

Fasttrack
12-18-2008, 04:28 PM
18" is pretty hefty considering that your average chineese "junk" is marketed towards home shop guys. Not too many home shop machinists have a lathe that can swing 18". 18" may be on the small side of what some professional shops can handle, but they are likely to drop the money on a nice "made in usa" or whatever faceplate.

Can't help you find one, but I suspect your going to have a tough time finding one that is marketed as an "economy" type faceplate!

BadDog
12-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Watch for auctions in your area, the big faceplates bring NOTHING. I saw a guy buy one around 20" for (I think?) about $10. Said he was going to make a drill press table or something like that out of it. I've got a 16", but it's not for sale. :D

Evan
12-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Sounds like a good use for a spare manhole cover. :D

Seriously, do you know anybody at the city works dept? You also might check with Bell Machinery in Vancouver.
http://www.bellmachineryltd.com/

QSIMDO
12-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Like this one!

http://www.industrialsurplus.com/chucks/012c-060.htm

Here's a 16" with the pins for a C note more.

http://www.industrialsurplus.com/chucks/012c-005.htm

The Fixer
12-18-2008, 06:08 PM
I checked with Bruce Bell and he can get you one from china for a very reasonable price. He is going to email me back the details after he here's back from his supplier. I regularly buy from him and just happen to be making an order with him today so I asked for you, will post again with his reply.

al

The Fixer
12-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Oh and he has a 16" in stock btw. email- bellmac@telus.net

Bruce Griffing
12-18-2008, 06:13 PM
The are available at shars tool. Cheap too.

Mcgyver
12-18-2008, 06:24 PM
kbc catalogue has faceplates, 18" is d1-8 though...they have a 14" D1 6 for 300 cdn, not bad

gnm109
12-18-2008, 07:31 PM
18" is pretty hefty considering that your average chineese "junk" is marketed towards home shop guys. Not too many home shop machinists have a lathe that can swing 18". 18" may be on the small side of what some professional shops can handle, but they are likely to drop the money on a nice "made in usa" or whatever faceplate.

Can't help you find one, but I suspect your going to have a tough time finding one that is marketed as an "economy" type faceplate!

Reading your post here, I almost thought I was on Practical Machinist for a while. Don't worry, though. I'm used to being run down for the cheap Chinese crap that I own. I'm also one of those home shop guys you refer to. It makes me feel right at home.

By the way, my cheap Chinese junk Enco Lathe came with its very own cheap chinese 13" face plate. It works great, too. :)

uncle pete
12-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Again this site comes thru, I haven't asked too many questions here over the yrs. but have never been let down on information. THANK YOU ALL, I will be on the phone tomorrow. Evan, Manhole covers have too much snow on em, can't find one right now.

Pete

miker
12-18-2008, 11:04 PM
The last parragraph by Forrest in the below link is very interesting.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=32125

Rgds

oldtiffie
12-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Michael.

Forrest's advice is very good - but it comes with a caveat that many have neglected to regret later.

Watch out for "out of balance" as if clamping etc. is inadequate, things can "let go" from a face-plate if the speed/RPM is too high. Face-plate work is potentially the most dangerous work in the shop. My lathe has a lowest speed of about 115 RPM and I am VERY wary of the setting-up. It might be OK when it is "spun up" but things can change dramatically if the cutting load is excessive.

I prefer to use the 10" face-plate on my 8" rotary table as it can handle 12" with ease. I use my boring-head in the mill to finish-off any necessary accurate boring work. I remove the bulk of stuff with a milling cutter with the rotab used as a boring mill "table" which I turn by hand.

Don't neglect "turning on the rotary table" as a very viable option. Mine works very well with indexed cutters, large end-mills, "roughing" (aka "corn-cob") cutters, fly-cutters and the like.

In short, using the face-plate on the lathe is a method of last resort unless I am very certain that all is OK.

I am NOT saying that any work should not be done on a face-plate at all.

uncle pete
12-19-2008, 04:48 AM
Oldtiffie no problems with too much speed as the TOS lathe it's going on has just over 19" swing BEFORE removing the gap and I believe around 25-35 rpm bottom speed, Still thank you for the warning, will keep it in mind.

Pete

SVS
12-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Sent you a PM uncle pete.

Scott

derekm
12-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Truck flywheel ... already balanced and proven at RPM.

uncle pete
12-19-2008, 02:39 PM
To all who responded to my post, THANKS, Looks like my problem is solved due to a pm from a member here. I appreciate everyone who took the time to work on this. All too rare today. From posting to fixed in less than 24hrs. Pretty hard to beat that. Again THANK YOU and merry christmas.

Pete

miker
12-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Mick, thanks for the reply. I am aware of the serious balance issues. The instructor at TAFE was running some dodgy looking (to me) face plate set up that shook so hard I retreated to the far side of the workshop.

In a recent copy of Model Engineers's Workshop (MEW)
magazine, Harold Hall shows how he balances his faceplate setups on a special shaft held in the vice. When satisfied with the balance he then fits the balanced set up to the lathe.

What interested me about Forrest's remarks was that if you really needed a face plate, you could make a very large or very small one and drill holes to tap for job fastening and balance weights.

This brings me to another point. Forrest mentioned one inch thick plate. This would be large mass for a Ten inch diameter plate.
I weighed my Ten inch face plate and it is 5.5Kg or about 2.25 pounds.

Question:

A job weighing say 1Kg /2 pounds is mounted and roughly balanced on a 5 Kg face plate with a small amount of vibration evident.

Same job is mounted on a 10Kg faceplate and same degree of balance used, would the extra mass of the faceplate reduce the apparent vibration?

Would there be some sort of flywheel effect?

Rgds