PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable Starter Mill?

Paul_NJ
12-19-2008, 12:53 AM
A fellow old-tractor restorer offered me his old milling machine for $300. It is definitely old, but he used it for quite a number of years before upgrading to a considerably larger machine. I wish I had more information to describe it, other than it has a Bridgeport M head (3 phase) on a floor mounted cast base (not Bridgeport). The table is approx 9 x 32 inches. Iím a novice, and my interest in a mill is more for making brackets, adapters, etc, rather than fine machine making. Any thoughts? . . . The price seems reasonable enough. I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Astronowanabe
12-19-2008, 01:46 AM
A fellow old-tractor restorer offered me his old milling machine for $300. It is definitely old, but he used it for quite a number of years before upgrading to a considerably larger machine. I wish I had more information to describe it, other than it has a Bridgeport M head (3 phase) on a floor mounted cast base (not Bridgeport). The table is approx 9 x 32 inches. Iím a novice, and my interest in a mill is more for making brackets, adapters, etc, rather than fine machine making. Any thoughts? . . . The price seems reasonable enough. I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

if you have the cash and are still waiting around, you might not deserve it :)
me I would be there loading it and figuring it out how good an idea it was later later.

Mark Hockett
12-19-2008, 02:21 AM
It sounds like it would be a good mill for what you want to do. If your friend has been using it, it must work to some degree and for making simple parts thats what you need. At least its not a basket case that might not ever work.

tiptop
12-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Paul,
If it isn't in your garage, it should be. Even if you do not want to use it your self, it will have enough cash value in parts to make it worth while. I am not saying you should part it out, but you could resell it as a parts machine for more I would think.
Astronowanabe, Ya this is wonderful weather we are having. I got my Monarch moved in just in time to miss it.
Paul, it sounds like it would make what you want and you can always trade up later.

Jay

Paul_NJ
12-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, and encouragement. I didn't know a Bridgeport M head from a Bridgeport J, amd was concerned about a bridgeport head on a different manufacturer's base, but the price is certainly right for me. I'll post some pics when I get it. Appreciate the help!

rode2rouen
12-19-2008, 10:32 PM
My first vertical mill was actually a hybrid. I had a Vernon (Sheldon) horizontal mill and was given a Bridgeport "M" head as payment for some work. I fabricated an adapter that allowed the "M" head to mount in the overarm boss of the vernon. Worked well.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/page9.html

This link shows the different B'port heads.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page2.html

Rex