PDA

View Full Version : The start of an XMAS gift for the forum

dan s
12-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Since it's been freezing outside I can't work in the shop. Thus to occupy my free time I've started making wall charts (PDF) as an XMAS present for my fellow forum members (I can use them to :D). Thus far I have the following charts:

1. drill size chart with decimal & mm equivalents
2. Metric tap hole sizes 50% engagement through 80% in 5% increments
3. Unified tap hole sizes 50% engagement through 80% in 5% increments
4. Drilling SFPM for different materials
5. Single point turning SFPM for different materials

I'm having a hard time coming up with one for milling though. The only thing I've come up with that's not an application is what Niagara recommends.
http://www.niagaracutter.com/techinfo/millhandbook/speedfeed/index.html

Is cross referencing Machinability, the only simple method for getting a SFPM starting point for milling?

dan s
12-20-2008, 10:09 PM
I got around to posting the first of the wall charts today. You can download them from my website here:
http://www.dans-hobbies.com/2008/12/20/metalworking-wall-charts/

I also determined that my 14th edition(1951?) "Machinery's handbook" is a little out of date with regards to feeds & speeds for milling. I did find a 27th edition online (Google books), so I will have the other charts knocked out in another day or two.

carlquib
12-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks Dan,

What size are the charts. The bigger the better, something about the print getting smaller or the arms getting shorter.

-brian

lazlo
12-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Dan, nice! A speeds and feeds chart would be great :)

By the way, I was at Office Depot today shipping Christmas packages, and noticed they have a large format laminator.
Turns out they'll laminate full-sized posters for $1.90 per square foot. So figure a 6 square foot Starrett decimal equivalence chart would cost $12 to laminate.

Brian: PDF's are vector graphics, so you can blow up Dan's charts to any size you want.

dan s
12-20-2008, 10:56 PM
What size are the charts. The bigger the better, something about the print getting smaller or the arms getting shorter.
Currently each chart is designed to fit on standard letter size printer paper. The font size is 10pt Arial. If people want, I can post the original excel files. You could then print them out as large as you desire.

Once I get them all done, I think I'm going to lay them all out out to fit on a 36"x36" poster that can be printed out at Kinko's.

alanganes
12-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks, Dan. Nice idea, those charts look handy. I enjoyed poking around your website.

Great thought, thanks for offering that up.

-Al

aboard_epsilon
12-20-2008, 11:21 PM
fractions to mm to inches chart,

I dont have a printer ........gave up a long time ago, on them, after my third one expired just after the warranty ran out..just like the rest of them. :(

all the best.markj

Fasttrack
12-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Excellent! Thank you very much. I was looking for some charts that I liked not only for myself but also for my brother-in-law who is just getting started in the world of machining!

Teenage_Machinist
12-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Particularly good would be speeds and feeds for HSM machines....

John Stevenson
12-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Everyone has their own favourite chart, this is mine.
I like this one as everything is on the one chart is sequence so you can see what's closest to where you want to be.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/decimal1.jpg

large size file for printing is here

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/decimal.jpg

This one came out of a toolmakers catalogue.

dan s
12-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Particularly good would be speeds and feeds for HSM machines....
I'm reworking the truing speed chart at the moment; adjusting the hss speed and feed is easy. The carbide speeds and feeds are a real pain, because of the half a** way they laid it out.

what kind of feeds and speeds are we talking?

dan s
12-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Ok

I think I have the truing speeds spreadsheet done. Feed and DOC are variables (within bounds).

Before I release it though, can someone tell me if the carbide speeds for brass, bronze, & aluminum look right? They seam high to me.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5471/imageoy9.png (http://imageshack.us)

Evan
12-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Aluminum may be turned at whatever speed your machine can do. There is no maximum limit.

dan s
12-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Yea, I have just never seen calculated speeds that high before. How about the bronze, isn't 445 fpm high for hard bronze? I have never turned it but i thought it was supposed to be hard as he**

I'm at work, but if i remember correctly these speeds are based on feed .01" doc .1"

Aluminum may be turned at whatever speed your machine can do. There is no maximum limit.

Evan
12-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Those speed aren't that high. I turn brass as fast as my lathe will go. I slow down a bit on bearing bronze so it doesn't spray chips across the shop.

dan s
12-23-2008, 12:00 AM
The lathe speed chart is done. http://www.dans-hobbies.com/2008/12/22/metalworking-wall-charts-part-two/

I learned two things from this project.
1. The machinery's handbook has lots of typos. :(
2. Whoever came up with the feed/doc/tool life correction factors(for carbide) should be beaten. What a convoluted mess....

next up:
drill speeds

hornluv
12-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey Dan,

I downloaded it and went to play around with it. It is giving me an Invalid Name Error everywhere the speeds should be. I have the newest Excel, so I choose to blame it on Microsoft :D

How do the figures on the chart stack up with regards to tool life vs productivity? Does the formula push the tool to its limit or is it more conservative?

Liger Zero
12-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Can I make a request? A chart so I can look up sheetmetal gauge in inches or mm as needed.

dan s
12-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Stuart,

I'm using 2002, but two things immediately come to mind. Did you allow the macro to run? if so the only other thing I can think of is that it's freaking out about referencing hidden cells. Try un-hiding all the cells on the worksheet. The speeds are optimized for 180 mins, it was to much work to set up the spreadsheet to handle other possibilities.

Hey Dan,

I downloaded it and went to play around with it. It is giving me an Invalid Name Error everywhere the speeds should be. I have the newest Excel, so I choose to blame it on Microsoft :D

How do the figures on the chart stack up with regards to tool life vs productivity? Does the formula push the tool to its limit or is it more conservative?

dan s
12-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Can I make a request? A chart so I can look up sheetmetal gauge in inches or mm as needed.
I through one together quick, and posted it with the drilling and reaming speeds.

http://www.dans-hobbies.com/2008/12/23/metalworking-wall-charts-part-three/

hornluv
12-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Did you allow the macro to run?

That was it. There was a security warning up top that said they were disabled because macros can sometimes be hiding viruses. See, I was right to blame Microsoft :D

dan s
12-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Microsoft's attempts at "security" always make me laugh.

That was it. There was a security warning up top that said they were disabled because macros can sometimes be hiding viruses. See, I was right to blame Microsoft :D

Evan
12-23-2008, 11:26 PM
They sure made me laugh some years back. When macro viri were first starting to circulate there was one called the Wazoo Virus that became extremely "popular". It swept through Xerox in a week or two and completely overwhelmed the IT staff trying to stamp it out. The virus inserted the word "wazoo" randomly into text about twice per page and would sometimes change word order here and there in all Word documents.

Xerox had no choice except to carry on business using infected computers and because the infected documents kept reinfecting the machines they were sent to it took a couple of months to eradicate it.

In the mean time I found it pretty hilarious to receive important memos from the high echelon that said "blah blah blah wazoo blah blah blah".

Idiots.

dan s
12-26-2008, 12:59 AM
I have posted the milling speed chart on my site.