PDA

View Full Version : OT - Hydrate your Christmas Tree

radioman
12-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi all. It is the time of year again where Christmas Trees are set up in our houses. The folowing link is a safety issue regarding xmas trees in your house. View the link and keep the tree watered.

http://www.break.com/index/christmas-tree-incineration.html

Safety Starts with You!

Dennis

dp
12-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Interesting - 10 seconds into that video it was too late to do much of anything but grab the cat and photo album and run like hell.

torker
12-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Wow! I'll say! That is pretty wild huh?
So much for my theory that they burn better after Christmas if you keep them dry over the holidays :D

mochinist
12-21-2008, 11:36 AM
We buy ours about two weeks before Christmas and I throw it in my pool for a day before we put it up. Pretty common thing to do around here, obviously this isn't an option for you cold weather guys. Anyways never have a problem with it drying out since I heard about this and started doing it.

Bill736
12-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Indeed, a Christmas tree becomes a giant flare very quickly. There's a large amount of surface area available to burn, with plenty of access to air. I took our Christmas tree outside and set it on fire one year ( well after Christmas, of course) to show my children how quickly it burns. It made an impression on all of us, especially my daughter. She thought daddy was a nut case.

pressurerelief
12-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Keep the sources of ignition away and that won't happen. Mythbusters tried to ignite a dry tree with something like 2000 lights hung on it and it wouldn't combust. Busted

P/R

Evan
12-22-2008, 12:25 AM
The problem is greatly exacerbated by the fact that commercial Christmas trees are cut up to two months before sale. By the time it is set up and Christmas comes around the tree is stone dead and bone dry. Hydrating it won't help a tree that is dead. If you insist on have a real tree inside then buy a living tree in a pot and bring it in a few days before Christmas and put it back out a couple of days afterward. It will survive the sudden "warm spell" for that length of time and is much less flammable than a dead tree.

If for some reason the only option is a dead tree then buy some fire retarding spray and spray it completely before bringing it in.

One brand is Tree ShieldŽ Fire Retardant Spray. Cost $10.50 for a can. That's pretty cheap insurance.