PDA

View Full Version : Metal Spinning Videos

john hobdeclipe
12-21-2008, 06:26 PM
While cruising around the web looking for info on metal spinning lathes, I found these two videos. At the bottom of the page you'll see a video of a hydraulic spinning lathe, and one of a manual lathe.

The guy doing the manual spinning doesn't waste any time...and his pieces don't fly apart like mine do!

Note the absence of any protective gear, the shirttail out, and his aluminum colored hand.

http://www.maneklalexports.com/English/McTools/CircleCutSpin.htm

bob ward
12-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Fascinating to watch the manual operation, about 1min 20sec from metal on to bowl off.

What sort of RPM are we likely talking about for that item?

Evan
12-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Speaking of no protective gear...

http://metalshopborealis.ca/pics/spinning.jpg

Bazz
12-22-2008, 08:14 AM
What sort of RPM are we likely talking about for that item?

500-600 rpm

Thanks for the video I love spinning

34Ford
12-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Just curious. When starting with just a flat disc, how does the operator center the disc?

Bazz
12-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Just curious. When starting with just a flat disc, how does the operator center the disc?

You can see the spinner on the video with a stick ,he start the lathe applying a small pressure and this will center the blank , I do no know why they don't use a centering apparatus It is just 2 rollers adjust a the proper hight

I can't believe they trow the work on the floor:confused:

BMSS
12-22-2008, 11:02 AM
It looked to me like he "lightly" clamped the disk, then smacked the disk several times to true it up in the lathe. Then he tightened up the hold of the part.:D

ptjw7uk
12-22-2008, 11:17 AM
I would imagine any one would become an expert doing the number a week that he is doing!!
Must be pretty soft aluminium to start with not so clever if you have to keep annealing it!!

Peter

DR
12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
I bet these guys are being paid by the part. They couldn't get away with these working conditions in this country.

Interesting to see the parts on the hydraulic machine are deep drawn prior to spinning. They might be run through an annealing process before the spinning.

Evan
12-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Chances are it is 1100 series aluminum. It doesn't work harden at all. It's almost as ductile as gold. Both gold and aluminum exhibit around 45% elongation at break in tensile testing. Next best alloy is something in the 5000 series which are made for deep drawing and stamping. Either type will not need annealing for that sort of work.

lazlo
12-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Chances are it is 1100 series aluminum.

Considering the working conditions in that sweat shop, it's probably whatever they could sweep into the hearth.

This is video I posted here awhile ago of spinning aluminum pots on a modern CNC lathe. In the second-half of the video, the guy is spinning a light reflector on a manual lathe.
This is Crown Cookwear in Canada -- stark contrast in working conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/v/QTC46hH2Bm0&hl=en&fs=1

Bazz
12-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Considering the working conditions in that sweat shop, it's probably whatever they could sweep into the hearth.

This is video I posted here awhile ago of spinning aluminum pots on a modern CNC lathe. In the second-half of the video, the guy is spinning a light reflector on a manual lathe.
This is Crown Cookwear in Canada -- stark contrast in working conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/v/QTC46hH2Bm0&hl=en&fs=1

That CNC is not turning at 2000 rpm for that job don't believe every thing you see on TV:eek:

ptjw7uk
12-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Thats nice, those funnels all spun in one piece, never seen that before.

Peter

IdahoJim
12-22-2008, 04:12 PM
I bet these guys are being paid by the part. They couldn't get away with these working conditions in this country.

Interesting to see the parts on the hydraulic machine are deep drawn prior to spinning. They might be run through an annealing process before the spinning.

That occured to me, too. Watching the work ethic involved, just about have to be doing piecework. Lots of skill there....what appears to be quality work, and fast!

Evan
12-22-2008, 04:20 PM

1100 series is electrical aluminum, common everywhere as wire. They aren't stupid and know what alloys can be spun. They may not know the name of the alloy but I guarantee they know what works.

lazlo
12-22-2008, 04:50 PM
1100 series is electrical aluminum, common everywhere as wire. They aren't stupid and know what alloys can be spun.

I just checked the Crown Cookwear web site, and they use 8011 Aluminum, which is the FDA "Food Grade" aluminum: an Aluminum-Iron-Silicon alloy.

Evan
12-22-2008, 05:21 PM
That's a specialized alloy developed for aluminum foil. It is nearly pure aluminum with only a small amount of iron and silicon.

Almost every metal that is available in sheet form may be spun (tubing can be pinched or swaged but is usually made from harder alloys). However, a few metals are ideally suited to the art of spinning. Aluminum is fantastically elastic and easy to form so long as it has been annealed. The softer (i.e. purer, non-alloyed) the aluminum the better. Hence, 3003 is better than 5052 , and 1100-0 is the best to use especially since 3003 doesn’t anodize very well. However, 5052 is the strongest work hardening aluminum, but harder to form.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/prl/documents/html/spinning.htm