PDA

View Full Version : Need direction in procurring mill

kbmindustries
12-21-2008, 08:24 PM
I need feedback on import bench top mills.
I want to set up a shop in my basement for building scale traction engines. I don't feel like jamming in on of my bridgeports.
I have been looking at benchtop Grizzly mills for several years, I have even stopped at one of their showrooms to look at the physical machines. I was not impressed with the stampings, the graduated collars, back lash, feel, etc.

Am I going to have to disassemble an import and do a lot of adjustments?

I realize that a large mill is severly different from a small one but can some of you provide some feed back. I have been looking also a Jets and Knuth.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated...

PS Rockwell used to make a small knee mill. Any one know where to find one?

Thanks in advance!:)

Mark

tdmidget
12-22-2008, 11:30 AM
A local dealer here who sells mostly used machines but some new chicom stuff says that they don't know how to do 2 things: torque and deburr. He takes his apart and deburrs and retorques before selling

SGW
12-22-2008, 12:15 PM
If you're within range of Plaza Machinery in Bethel, VT, that might be a likely place to look for something. Sometimes Brothers machinery in Andover, MA, has good small mills.

Of course, if you're in New Mexico, that won't help.... :D

I like the looks of the Jet JVM-836, but at 1500 pounds it might be a bit much to get into a basement unless you have walk-out access.

dan s
12-22-2008, 06:38 PM
I have been looking at benchtop Grizzly mills for several years, I have even stopped at one of their showrooms to look at the physical machines. I was not impressed with the stampings, the graduated collars, back lash, feel, etc.

what benchtop machine are you looking at?
1. seig x2 (G8689)
2. seig x3 (G0463)
3. RF-45 clone (G0519)

Of the 3 the only one I would purchase would be the RF-45 clone, because is got a decent work envelope.

Teenage_Machinist
12-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Seeing this thread makes me wonder what there is in the SF bay area.

recoilless
12-23-2008, 01:57 PM
kbmindustries:

Yes, Rockwell did make a small knee mill. It had a 6 x 26 table, R8 spindle...
They are good mills but not supported, in the way of spare parts/service, by their maker. I have the 21-122, which has the horizontal(NT30) and vertical spindles. They are a bit on the small side but well made.

Keep you eyes open for any on sale, you might try the yahoo Rockwell group.
Also, Clausing made a similarly sized mill. I think there are even more of these around as I see them for sale more often. I've never run one but they seem to be decently regarded by their owners.

brian99s
12-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Look at Industrial Hobbies. They sell a very good imported RF45 clone.

http://www.industrialhobbies.com/

I purchased the manual mill with DRO's and power feed. I have not had any issues with mine. I had to take the mill apart to get it into the basement but setting it up afterwords was not a difficult process. Their website has good process instruction to complete the task. Also, Tommy will answer all of your questions and get you up a running. Great people to work with.

recoilless
12-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Actually just saw this...I don't look at e bay much but here is one for sale
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockwell-Delta-Vertical-Mill-Milling-Machine-R-8_W0QQitemZ150317545786

Looks a little used, hard to see well because pics aren't too good, not much in the way of tooling.

FWIW

lane
12-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Directions .Go down the street 2 blocks turn right go 6 more blocks turn left go to the next light turn left again go 6 blocks and turn left again then go 5 blocks and their you are . 1 mill.