PDA

View Full Version : Gang sawing

gr8life
12-22-2008, 12:23 AM
I have some round 1.5" 6061 alum. that is knurled. The bars about 2 ft. long and I want to cut off about 4". Cutting w/ flood coolant on a h/v 7x12 Grizzly saw is no problem but I am always looking to speed up boring work so I decided to try to cut 2 at a time. Placed one on top of the other and the first one cut and when the blade hit the lower one the piece began to spin in the vice jaws. Stopped, took the top one out and cut the lower one. Set up again with a piece of soft wood between the movable jaw and the 2 pieces. This worked ok for 2 cuts then the same problem arose again.
So the question is how do you set up to gang cut round stock in a h/v bandsaw.
thanks
ed

Ghop Shop
12-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Try "V" Blocks

Your Old Dog
12-22-2008, 07:51 AM
If you're going to stack them one above the other, try lining one vice jaw with a piece of soft pine. That should hold it gooe enough for sawing.

oldtiffie
12-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Put them in as normal - both on the base of the machine, each against a vise jaw and a bit of 3" x 1 1/2" timber with a "vee" in the 1 1/2" sides (both sitting on their 3" "sides") between the 1 1/2" pieces you are cutting, tighten vise and you should be good to go.

Big Bob
12-22-2008, 08:31 PM
I have found soft backups can get you in trouble.
For many years I have used a chain vise grip to hold the "back" end of the pieces. If you are worrying about damaging the surfaces use some thin, soft aluminum or rubber sheet under the chain.
Chain vise grips work for any quantity of most shapes, and if the chain is too short you can attach 2 together.
Big Bob

torker
12-22-2008, 08:35 PM
I use 1/8" aluminum tig rod on the front jaw...a U shape...upside down with legs on both sides of the jaw outer ends.

gr8life
12-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Gave up & cut them one at a time. Got the same cut coming up only .6250 knurled brass, might try the chain idea.
thanks for all the suggestions
ed