PDA

View Full Version : OT: A tale of good service!

Liger Zero
12-22-2008, 03:37 PM
We have a Fastenal here in town, as you know Fastenal sells everything from screws to tooling to raw material.

Well I was feeling a bit bold last week... some nylon rod and some tool-bits. Ordered Wednesday, they told me they would have it by Friday. Storm prevented it from arriving Friday so they told me "we will drop it off at your house Monday" and they took 10% off.

Monday, today... they called me up... only one person was in the depot today could I wait until tomorrow for my delivery?

Naah, Silly me I trudged the two miles down there to pick it up. She took an additional 20% for "inconvenience."

Nice! Funny thing is this is just for a hobby-part I'm gong to make... part of a model of a "giant robot" (a "Zoid") I am building for my nephew.

Fastenal always give good service like this or is this a fluke? 'cause if this is how they operate I foresee more purchases from them.

IdahoJim
12-22-2008, 04:58 PM
That has been my experience with them as well. Good company.

platypus2020
12-22-2008, 05:30 PM
my experience has been, they are very convenient, have always kept their promise on delivery dates, but if your looking for a competitive price, they are not even close. With the prices they charge, they can afford to give 40-50% off and they will still make money. Their pricing structure is the more you buy, the better the prices get, I can't afford to buy that much to get a competitive price.

jack

Liger Zero
12-22-2008, 05:48 PM
I noticed that with the price. Can't beat the location though, 45 min walk from my house. I'll keep them on file for situations where I need stuff quickly. Comes up from time to time.

IdahoJim
12-22-2008, 07:24 PM
That's usually how it works. We rarely get both good service, good quality, and low prices. It's nice to know they are there when we need them, though.
Jim

bollie7
12-22-2008, 09:49 PM
I've got to hand it to you americans, you know how to do business.
Here in Oz we don't have the range of choice on most things engineering that you have, so I have on a couple of occasions bought stuff from the USA via the internet.
Every time, the service I have received has been excellent.

1) About 4 years ago, my wife had a Nissan 300ZX. For those that don't know, the 100,000Klm (60,000 mile) service requires a lot of new parts. After prcing the parts from Nissan Australia I found it was a lot cheaper (approx $900aus) to buy the parts from the US. I bought from a dealer in, I think Texas. the parts took less than a week to arrive, and this was 2 weeks before xmass. One of the boxes had been damaged in transit and a smallish part had been lost. The bloke in the USA had a replacement, at no cost to me, at my door within 3 days.( a week before Xmas.
2) recently bought parts from Borgson Universals on two seperate occasions. Same story, ordered and paid over the net and had the parts in less than a week.
On one of these occasions I enquired with an Australian company for a similar product. 3 times the cost of the Borgson product and would have taken a minimum of 3 weeks to get, and it took me a week to get that info.
Some companies have no idea of customer service and then they wonder why the business isn't going that well.

have a safe and happy festive season everyone.

regads
bollie7

oldtiffie
12-22-2008, 10:07 PM
I'd agree with that Bollie7.

I have to say that I get very good service here from some of the select few in OZ that I deal with - particularly for the shop.

I buy a fair bit from the USA and I have had exactly the same service as Bollie7 has - every time.

I must say that I am surprised at the scope of adverse comment in/from the USA about the USPS (US Postal Servicel service) as they must be the best there is. They deal with our own delivery service contractors as well as Australia Post absolutely seamlessly. I have never had a delivery problem from a US supplier of the USPS.

As bollie7 says, most stuff is a lot cheaper in the US although it is a lot dearer with the exchange rate at present AUD = USD 0.67 than it was when it was USD0.90 recently. Postage and handling is the "killer" - particularly is a "return" is involved.

But again as bollie7 says, even though warranties from US suppliers may not apply outside the US, they seem to have little or no hesitation in honouring them.

If these are a fair cross-section of the US suppliers, than I can assure those in the US that they are very well catered for and from our/my perspective have little or nothing much to complain about.

I am very impressed with ArcEurotrade (UK) as they are "tops" as well - every time - although postage etc. from the UK is very expensive.

Mcostello
12-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Every time I go there they don't have, can't get or some such. Would not sell a few bolts out of a opened box I was standing next to, because company policy to sell only box quantities. Hey they broke it open for someone else. Won't go back.

JCHannum
12-23-2008, 07:46 AM
I believe Fastenall stores are franchises, and level of service can be very different from one to another.

My experience has been much like Mcostello's. They were originally industrial sales only and when I was in charge of MRO purchasing, they would come in with promises of improved prices and delivery. They never panned out, lousy delivery, over priced and poor quality.

Since they have opened a local store, I have tried it twice and they have not had what I needed both times. Told me there was no such thing as drill rod, that the hardware CR rounds was the same thing. I have not wasted my time since then.

hornluv
12-23-2008, 01:21 PM
I just went there this morning to get some drill rod. Good service, though the prices were high, but the thing that chapped my a$$ is when I got home, I looked at the invoice and they charged me $3.00 for "Shipping and handling". WTF?!?!?! I drove there. I picked the merchandise up off the shelf. Did it cost me $3.00 for him to ring me up? Let's hope every business doesn't start that.

Liger Zero
12-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Ordered another load of stuff from them, they can get me my materials much quicker (but much more expensively) than my other source... But hey, better than no material right now.

Well much to my annoyance they forgot a line-item from my original quote, and wouldn't you know it, that was the item I needed, I'm making a set of UMHW rollers for a exercise machine gift that someone is getting... They know the rollers are bad, they gave me one and handed me a wad of cash and asked me to make replacements before the 25th.

HOWEVER, it is on it's way and if it's not here by 5pm they give it to me for free.

I think that has more to do with the extremely young person running the computer there, she admitted she has only been doing this for a few weeks and she might have done something wrong. *shrug* Ain't going to make a big deal, you learn from your mistakes.

JCHannum
12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
By my count, they have missed two delivery dates, are overpriced and totally missed one item on another of your orders. I would hate to see what you consider poor service.

Liger Zero
12-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Actually by good service I mean they are actually trying to get my order to me, as opposed to "well tough shi*, you'll get it when we say so, and you will still pay full price and oh by the way the line-item we forgot, too bad we got our money have a nice day!"

Granger. Harbor Freight. Tool Outlet. A couple of other local places around here that I won't mention.

It's all relative really. I'd rather have a company *try* to make things happen than one that just shrugs and walks away counting its profits.

platypus2020
12-23-2008, 07:38 PM
I just went there this morning to get some drill rod. Good service, though the prices were high, but the thing that chapped my a$$ is when I got home, I looked at the invoice and they charged me $3.00 for "Shipping and handling". WTF?!?!?! I drove there. I picked the merchandise up off the shelf. Did it cost me $3.00 for him to ring me up? Let's hope every business doesn't start that.

One of the suppliers I used to buy from, charged shipping and handling, on everything he sold. If you asked about it, he said "that what it cost me to get it here, stock it, for you to buy". The only reason he stayed in business as long as he did, was he had 2, exclusive equipment franchises, and it you wanted that product, he was the only game in town. Toward the end, he became strictly cash only, no accounts, no checks and no credit cards, this killed him with the contractors.

jack